Talk

Advanced search

Aibu re teen staying home alone

(11 Posts)
user1483046088 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:34:56

We're off on our Hoildays on June
We have 3 children ds will be 17 by then however he is not very responsible I don't think he will had any Wild partys but he always loosing his keys
Ect the back door wide open today had two bike stolen after not locking them up. This year alone he's has 7 bank cards after just loosing them he's lost his wallet don't know how many times

And was mugged on Halloween after being told not to walk down the ally after dark from collage witch he did and was promptly beaten and mugged

He's just not mature enough or street wise enough to stay on his own

He has a job at tesco he will need to take two days off we have said he's welcome to bring a mate

But his choices are come with us or stay with my friend he will be sleeping on her pull out be with her cats for a week and she will want help with her work she works from home she won't have him laying about and to bloody right and he will also have to give her some money towards food Ect

I don't see why I should pay as he is choosing to stay with her vs a free Hoilday Aibu to give him the choice

TheSnowFairy Sat 31-Dec-16 21:55:56

YABU - he doesn't sound responsible enough to look after animals either hmm

Take him with you until he can learn to look after his things.

stella23 Sat 31-Dec-16 22:49:36

And was mugged on Halloween after being told not to walk down the ally after dark from collage witch he did and was promptly beaten and mugged come on op, it's not his fault he was mugged. He is a victim don't blame him for being the victim of a crime

user1483046088 Sat 31-Dec-16 23:48:15

Agreed it's not his fault but this leans to him not taking note of things we say safety wise

Even double locking the door don't know how many times we have told him he won't be happy until we have been robbed

He has a very lax attauide to safety and I think it's fair to give the option to stay with my friend but he will be sharing the pull out bed with her 4 cats and helping her with her work

Us not leaving him is not about him having partys or having girls over I am worried he actually may burn the house down or loose his key Ect

DailyFail1 Sat 31-Dec-16 23:56:22

Way I've read this is: he left the back door open once and two (presumably unsecured) bicycles were stolen. He walked home once and was robbed. He doesn't double-lock the door but I presume it's because you have a 5 lever mortice deadlock (or similar) and so double-locking shouldn't be required everyday.

Nothing you've described leads me to believe he's more irresponsible than any other 17 year old. Living by himself is a good experience. Let him stay with a mate and see how it goes.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 01-Jan-17 00:00:03

I agree that it might be really good for him to take responsibility for himself properly for a few days. He's 17 and nothing you've said sounds that unusual or worrying.

By the way, it's etc. Not Ect. smile

user1483046088 Sun 01-Jan-17 00:22:58

No he leaves the back door open all the time

Loses his keys all the time were on our 4th set

He looses his bank card he's on his 7th

He doesn't lock his bike up so it gets nicked dispite us telling him to

He's very absent minded and dosent have a lot of respect for others things he's dosent have a mate he can stay with we have only lived her two years he left the freezer open couple of moths agai had to chuck eveything out he didn't even notice or didn't care about the water dripping on the floor had to chuck the whole lot out

He's not borthered about locking things away because if we get robbed it's our stuff that we have paid for not his stuff if he can't find his bank card he dosent even look for it simply orders a new one because you guessed it the bank dosent charge

The options are my friend his god mother or Come on Hoilday

user1483046088 Sun 01-Jan-17 00:27:58

We really don't feel we can risk it it he looses his Keys

It will mean endeding our Holiday to get him in

If he leave the door open and we get robbed it will mean we will have to com back early

We know our son and he's not mature enough personally I wouldn't even recommend him to babysit Somones child if I am totally honest

HSMMaCM Sun 01-Jan-17 00:29:21

You know your child best. We left our slightly immature 17 year old for a week and she was fine. She stayed with friends a couple of nights.

She has chosen to come on holiday with us in the summer, rather than stay home this time grin. She appreciates us a little more now.

Reality16 Sun 01-Jan-17 00:35:59

it will mean endeding our Holiday to get him in would it? Could you not leave a spare key or 2 with your friend?

TheCakes Sun 01-Jan-17 00:39:16

If he isn't mature enough to be left, he needs to go somewhere supervised, eg your friend's. If he doesn't fancy that, he can come with you. Seems reasonable to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now