Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you spend on party bags?

(202 Posts)
Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:13:50

I'm having my dds 3rd birthday party at our local zoo.

We're expecting around 20 children aged 2-6.

Dh says I need to set a reasonable budget for party bags I thought about 4 pounds each as the venue is providing an activity pack and we've paid additional for face painting for each child.

I'd like them to be animal themed as per the party.

What do you spend on party bags per child?

Pineapplemilkshake Sat 31-Dec-16 21:18:10

Usually about £5 though this year we did selection boxes - 2 for £3 which seemed to go down well

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:22:11

Party isn't for a while so selection boxes would go out of date sad but we've booked venue etc and know rough numbers plus allowed a couple of spaces for current pre school friends.

We agree a party extras budget every new year so we know what we're working with.

nancy75 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:23:02

The most successful party bags I did were just a bit of cake & a small beanyboo toy for each child. The toy is about £4.50 each.
I really hate bags full of bits of rubbish, they still add up to quite a bit of money and most of it ends up in the bin.
I ordered from this website www.temptationgifts.com/gifts-by-brand/ty-plush/browse-all

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:23:40

Last year we didn't really cover party bags in the extra budget and I got carried away

greenfolder Sat 31-Dec-16 21:24:19

We bought sweet cups from wilkos. £2 each.

Passthecake30 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:24:33

If the venue is doing an activity pack I'd just give cake and possibly sweets.

5BlueHydrangea Sat 31-Dec-16 21:26:07

About £1. You've spent a lot on everything else so this part IMO is just a token thing for them to take home. A zoo themed small toy, some sweets perhaps and a bit of cake. Sorted.

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:28:18

Nancy they're lovely and who doesn't love a bendy boo? 😊

Passthecake - I don't know what's in these activity packs and don't want the children to be disappointed I feel like I need to add to it, I've already bought some beautiful paper bags with animals on them smile

Abetes Sat 31-Dec-16 21:31:22

The easiest and best one I did was to give each child a book and a slice of cake. You can get multi packs of books from The Book People which works out very cheap per book. Certainly well within your budget.

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:33:17

Abetes- do they do animal story book packs?

Abetes Sat 31-Dec-16 21:41:37

I'm not sure - seems to change from time to time - but it usually works out at about £1 ish per book.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 31-Dec-16 21:43:25

Most successful so far was a poundland bucket and spade set. Friends were still using them years later. Slice of cake and a packet of sweets to finish it off.

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:43:47

I'll keep an eye out thank you I like the idea of a book for each child my dd loves story time I could add this to the list

nancy75 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:45:11

I did the book people books one year, a book is always a good gift that won't end up in the bin!

Mehfruittea Sat 31-Dec-16 21:45:27

For DS last party for 5 yrs olds we had a book (small Disney book taken from a multipack of 20 for £10) a slice of cake and I made up a cellophane cone of sweets. I had spare balloons so chucked 1 in each bag with the cake. It went down really well with the kids and parents.

DoublyTroubly Sat 31-Dec-16 21:47:08

The best thing my daughter has received in a party bag was one of these: www.hobbycraft.co.uk/kids-party-animal-suncatcher-favours-set-5-pack/612976-1000

They're 5 for £4 so well within budget. Hobbycraft also has plasticine or Pom Pom sets which would be ideal x

70ontheinside Sat 31-Dec-16 21:47:39

Please don't add more tat to the tag that will already be provided in the activity pack! I would second the book people books, other things that went down well with mine over the years: foam aeroplanes, finger puppets or finger lights.

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:47:50

I'm trying to avoid tat so all these ideas are brill

How do you feel about a couple of pots of play doh and some animal cutters?

nancy75 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:47:53

Book people have got lots of sets of 5 books for £5.99 and loads of them are animal stories. The only thing to consider with books is the age of the children - if they range from 2 to 6 you would have to get a couple of different types of book

SheepyFun Sat 31-Dec-16 21:49:41

5BlueHydrangea, I'm glad I'm not the only one! We definitely spent less that £1.50 a head for party bags for DD's fourth b'day party - they contained a book (from a set from The Book People), some stickers, a pinball game and a (large!) piece of cake. I would say that most birthday parties we've been to have had bags worth less than £2; at that age they really don't mind.

Nicpem1982 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:53:55

Sheepy - I didn't keep a tally of the costs of the last ones really but on the day I couldn't for everything in the bag and realised I'd gone overboard.

This is really to give me an idea of average costs and some ideas really

MillionToOneChances Sat 31-Dec-16 21:53:58

£1ish a head is plenty! You don't want people to be mortified of the party bag is worth more than their gift to your child hmm

DailyFail1 Sat 31-Dec-16 21:58:40

I personally don't do party bags except when I feel they might be useful. First time was at dsd's swimming party, where I gave out waterproof duffle bags at the start. They contained ear plugs, nose plugs, goggles, and personalized rubber wrist bands (with dsd's name, and date) to carry locker keys. Total cost per bag was £10.

Ameliablue Sat 31-Dec-16 21:58:55

Normally about £1.50-£2 but depends numbers and theme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now