Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take toddler to NY party?

(46 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:11:42

There's a party tonight and I wasn't going to go, then I thought I might show my face for a couple of hours. I used to see this friend a lot. But DH is going out.

I could still go if I took my 2 yo, my friend wouldn't mind but is it fair on her? I wouldn't stay long, until maybe ten o clock?

I am being UR aren't I? smile

RedHelenB Sat 31-Dec-16 14:12:51

NO YANBU if your friend doesn't mind.

PotteringAlong Sat 31-Dec-16 14:13:47

Depends on the party. Family party, lots of kids, you're not being unreasonable at all. Adults, alcohol and no other children? Don't even think about it.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 31-Dec-16 14:14:22

Ask your friend. Make it clear your kid won't be there all night and that you'd like some company for a few hours. I wouldn't just turn up with child in arms without checking first.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:14:23

I think it's more of the latter but friend does have a DS. She'll probably go to sleep upstairs.

Crunchymum Sat 31-Dec-16 14:16:15

Sorry OP is it correct your DH is going out?

DavidPuddy Sat 31-Dec-16 14:16:31

We've had adult parties where there is a child or two asleep in a spare room. If your child won't mind and your friend won't mind then I can't see a problem.

Cheby Sat 31-Dec-16 14:16:43

It depends:
-Will there be other kids there or just yours? If it's the latter then YA probably BU
-Will the host truly not mind? Or is she saying she won't because she feels forced into saying it's ok?
-What is your 2yo like at staying up? Mine would have been (and was) fine at that age, some REALLY need their beds at 7.30 on the dot and are horrors if kept up

LockedOutOfMN Sat 31-Dec-16 14:19:51

Wouldn't your friend have mentioned already that it was ok to bring your child, if it was?

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:21:33

Well, I know my friend wouldn't mind. I would definitely check first to be polite but I know she wouldn't be bothered at all. I thought I could just plonk her in friends bed for a bit.

LagunaBubbles Sat 31-Dec-16 14:22:39

Dont you mind your DH going out and leaving the childcare up to you though?

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:23:58

It's my own fault because I said I was t going to go and now I want to! grin

KnittedBlanketHoles Sat 31-Dec-16 14:24:07

Could you go out in shifts, so if you don't mind an early one then you go out first and return at 10 ish when your dh can then go on to his plans?

Otherwise, I'd ask your friend. Even if it's an adults only party, if you are only staying till 10 then I can't see the harm as that's V.early for an adult Nye party.

tigermoll Sat 31-Dec-16 14:24:16

Will you really be able to have a good time/an uninterrupted conversation/adult interaction with a two year old in tow? I worry that you will spend the whole time with your child as your primary focus, which is a) no fun for you and b) deeply frustrating for anyone who is trying to have a conversation with you.

Call me an evil old child-hater, but I find it very difficult to actually chat to someone who is also looking after a child -- children are very good at getting the attention of their caregiver (for solid, evolutionary reasons smile ) so chatting to someone who is also engaged in childcare ends up feeling like I am wittering away to someone who isn't really listening, but needs me to provide background noise so we can both pretend we had an adult conversation grin

KnittedBlanketHoles Sat 31-Dec-16 14:26:36

You know your friend. Mine didn't mind when my DD was small, or when older really as there would almost always be one or two kids in a specific kids room at parties, especially as a good proportion of the women attending were single parents.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:28:08

Hopefully she will be asleep tiger, the problem is she's just about always with me so if I do see anyone I have to have her with me.

user1477282676 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:33:41

I wouldn't. I've just been to a New Year's party (I'm in Oz) and it had a few small kids and it was bloody annoying and worrying. Pissed men and women shouting and roaring with laughter, alcohol being sloshed about...and this was in a "naice" house with "naice" people. I just felt really uncomfortable.

Notapodling Sat 31-Dec-16 14:38:51

Like others said: it depends on the nature of the party and how much drinking/partying there is.
I'm taking 6yo DS out tonight to a friend's party and he'll sleep there until we leave (prob after midnight). There won't be other kids but it'll be a low key evening so I think it'll be fine.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 14:39:49

Fairly low key I would think ... But I think I'll leave it, she'll be tired.

Gowgirl Sat 31-Dec-16 14:43:28

If he is leaving you to it again I would go, an evening with friends will do you good.

Benedikte2 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:48:40

I'd go if friend is ok with it. Why not?
Have a good time

Randytortoise Sat 31-Dec-16 14:52:08

I would and am, depending on the party. I have a 3 and 4 yr old and we have taken them to a friends party since newborn. Buy is is very family oriented. We start early with a meal, dc play together and then fall asleep. Always some sober adults with them (we take turns so people can have a proper conversation).

dustarr73 Sat 31-Dec-16 15:16:46

No don't bring the child.Nothing worse than an adult party with kids there.Changes the whole mood

DailyFail1 Sat 31-Dec-16 15:18:33

Depends. Amongst my friends and family children are expected to attend xmas and nye parties & we just adjust bed times etc accordingly.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 15:19:23

I think I'll literally stick my head round for half an hour to say hi then go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now