Talk

Advanced search

To tell the class mums my DC has head lice

(25 Posts)
SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 08:49:41

My DH thinks IABU as it's the Xmas hols and DC1 didn't get the lice in school?! I found a louse and a few eggs on Thurs have used hedrin and been combing DC hair. We have a class messenger group (just mum's) I've told family about it (the ones we've seen over the hols) I said to DH I should say on the messenger group too? He said No. I think he is BU. I will of course inform the school and they'll send out the standard leaflet but I think if I tell our class at least the mums can check their kids before they go back to school next week? AIBU?

bonzo77 Sat 31-Dec-16 08:54:15

Tell them. Best to get it dealt with before going back. A few kids at nursery have had worms over the holidays. Their parents whatsapped the whole class about it. Looking at the timing I don't think they caught them at nursery.

Euphemia Sat 31-Dec-16 08:54:44

I wouldn't bother. I'd tell the school when they go back, if DC still has them.

dementedpixie Sat 31-Dec-16 08:57:50

I wouldn't bother. If they weren't caught from school and he has been treated then what's the point?

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 08:57:50

The compromise is I ask the school to send a specific leaflet to the class saying there has been a recent case in this class. But I thought be best (if possible) for them to all go back with checked and louse free heads!

Ellisandra Sat 31-Dec-16 09:00:10

Depressing that the group is all mothers. So is ours hmm
I say: until he decides to join the group, he can keep his opinion to himself!

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 09:01:37

Yes it is all mothers. hmm Should I tell them?

Ellisandra Sat 31-Dec-16 09:01:45

I mean - on a serious note, I wouldn't be asking my husband for permission about this. It's one thing to ask for an opinion but if you expect or know you are expected to abide by his opinion, then really isn't it asking for permission?
Just decide yourself whether you think it's worth doing, and if so - do it.

Ellisandra Sat 31-Dec-16 09:04:15

Mothers in our group might say, but it would be along the linings of "fuck no, it's the holidays, and I've had to de-louse... send me gin!!!!"

TBH I probably wouldn't bother because I think nits are rife and people are either regular checkers and treaters or they're not. Wouldn't make any difference.

But if someone else posted it, I'd think it was helpful and normal to do so.

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 09:07:17

Hopefully this thread alone might prompt some holiday checks (unaware if any of the group are Mnetters).

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 09:07:39

Thanks Ellisandra

RB68 Sat 31-Dec-16 09:12:12

point is that eggs take up to 14 days to mature so could actually have happened at school. Whatever treat and just let them know nits are about again so worth a check before return to school

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 09:13:20

Oh is it 14 days? I didn't realise then I'm deffo not BU to tell them?!

cashmerethecat Sat 31-Dec-16 09:15:01

Deff tell them.... It's better that they know so that they can check their kids and prevent the problem from spreading.

Ellisandra Sat 31-Dec-16 09:18:16

All it has prompted for me is the inevitable scratchy feeling the moment nits are even mentioned - thanks! angrygrin

Pineapplemilkshake Sat 31-Dec-16 09:19:18

I wouldn't tell them, but would send a note in to the teacher so they can let everyone know there has been a case. I imagine in some schools your DC would get teased for having had headlice - obviously that's not on, but I wouldn't be setting my DC up for this.

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 09:20:57

I don't think DC would be teased in fact the ones that have had it in the past talk about it like a right of passage so DC might let the bug out of the bag!

DJBaggySmalls Sat 31-Dec-16 09:21:04

Theres no need, your children did not catch them at school and they will be clear when they return.
You don't need your husbands permission to manage small decisions like this.

Willyoujustbequiet Sat 31-Dec-16 09:22:34

I would be telling them and i would respect the honesty of someone who did. Its nothing to hide.

Far better they can treat before they get a good hold.

Starlight2345 Sat 31-Dec-16 09:25:19

I would of said yes up till yesterday when I read threadof relatives refusing to visit and people thinking this is ok...Report to school on return...although that said I don't know anyone in the real world that wouldn't visit if we had treated nits.

dementedpixie Sat 31-Dec-16 10:15:48

Eggs take 7-11 days to mature and hatch. Lice don't leave the head until they mature which takes 9-12 days. If you only found one live louse then it sounds like a recent infestation.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 31-Dec-16 10:17:17

No, I wouldn't. It's pathetic and ridiculous but there is still a bit of social stigma with them.

Footinmouthasusual Sat 31-Dec-16 10:20:24

Agree with starlight that thread was bonkers.

I would just tell the school and keep checking your kids heads and don't forget your own and dhs. We caught them off our kids hmm

SoDownSoGone Sat 31-Dec-16 10:37:20

Thanks everyone I'll tell the school. I need to read the other thread. Sorry if this is a repeat

SocksRock Sat 31-Dec-16 10:37:48

I would tell them. I have a similar group and it would just mean I would check and treat mine before returning to school. If everyone did that, it would stop the infestation in its tracks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now