Talk

Advanced search

Quitting Facebook?

(80 Posts)
BusyHomemaker Fri 30-Dec-16 21:24:14

Has anyone done it? Did you regret it?

I check it way too often and it's not fulfilling but I fear I am addicted to it. It's a great way to keep in touch with distant family and friends but surely there are other, healthier ways to do this?

Has anyone a healthy relationship with Facebook who could pass on some tips/wisdom? How do you change from being a Facebook junkie to restoring healthy balance in your life?

I do realise it's unreasonable for a grown woman to be stressing over this!

Atticmatic Fri 30-Dec-16 21:29:51

I was guilty years ago of checking it too often so I closed my account altogether. I re-joined last year and find it better now I only access it through a PC. I don't have the app or messenger on any of my portable devices.

I find I now only log in once a week which is great.

Honeyandfizz Fri 30-Dec-16 21:41:45

I hate FB, came off it a few years ago. A month or so ago I rejoined, mainly because running groups I belong too post a lot of info on there. I only lasted two weeks before I deleted it again. I'm guess I'm the sort of person that doesn't want to know the ins and outs of other people's lives. Somehow I always end up feeling my life is shit in comparison, I don't need it in my life as it does not benefit me in the slightest!

museumum Fri 30-Dec-16 21:43:06

Delete the app from your phone and only use it on a laptop.

dimdommilpot Fri 30-Dec-16 21:43:52

I quit about 6 weeks ago. I was saying "just a minute" to the kids far too frequently so it had to go. I had already deleted the app but just went on the web page. I haven't regretted it and do not feel I am missing out. I never posted just condtantly checked my time feed. I have no plans to rejoin any time soon.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 30-Dec-16 21:45:12

I really don't understand how people live their lives via FB. I used to be on, but deleted it. Some of the things people post are truly vomit inducing. I can't bear it.

FuzzyDiamond Fri 30-Dec-16 21:47:23

I quit in July, I dont miss it at all. Anyone who is a true friend has your number.

twinklefoot Fri 30-Dec-16 21:48:37

I have gone cold turkey from Christmas Eve. I have deleted the app and messenger and feel a lot lighter already. smile I was checking it a few times a day and I felt it gave importance to people who I really couldn't care less. I also don't want to be innthe know of everyone 24/7. I just need to cull Mumsnet to once a day for an hour now!

katiegg Fri 30-Dec-16 21:49:38

I have deactivated my account a few times over the last two or three years. As you say, I was checking it far too often and it was adding little of value to my life. I rarely post on it either.

However, I find myself coming back to it because it's an easy and convenient way to keep in touch with friends and family who live in other countries. I'm thinking of deactivating it again in the new year. I believe you can no deactivate your Facebook profile but stay signed in to messenger which might be a good compromise...

SwedishEdith Fri 30-Dec-16 21:49:44

Laptop only and only check once a day/every other day to post something inane, check messages/group updates and speed roll through timeline.

I prefer Twitter for the speed and anonymity - probably doesn't help grin.

lilyb84 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:50:24

I hate it. Quit 3.5 years ago and am much happier for it. I did rejoin 'secretly' for a while when I was running a DJ night (so only used it to admin a page) and when my antenatal group from here moved over to FB I was on a hidden group which was lovely for a while but I gradually felt all my social media anxiety creeping back so gave that up too.

I feel justified when old friends contact me literally years later having finally realised I'm not on there. Clearly they weren't paying much attention when I was grin

peaCOCKness Fri 30-Dec-16 21:52:49

I quit Facebook at the beginning of November. Best thing I could've done for my mental health, sanity and time paying attention to what I was doing with my kids. Occasionally miss it for finding info but I've survived and my life has genuinely improved and I used it a lot for lots of things (selling, friendship groups, family contact etc)

I still have messenger enabled though.

SparkleShinyGlitter Fri 30-Dec-16 21:54:06

I done it about 5 years ago. I do not miss it on bit

I don't use Facebook/twitter/ whatever is cool now

I email friends/family regularly that I wish to stay in touch with and it's easy to send photos via email

LittleWingSoul Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:15

Deleted my account about 4 years ago. I don't miss it and anyone who I still really want to keep in contact with has not had a problem with doing so in all the myriad ways of communication we now have.

FB was not healthy for me.

I now spend all lot of my time scrolling through mumsnet aibu though... something I'm sure will level to a more normal use once life starts again next week!

Gingerbreadmam Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:22

i quit it about 5 years ago - best thing i ever did. i can now actually comverse with people in the street as i dont already know everything via fb!

Gingerbreadmam Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:25

i quit it about 5 years ago - best thing i ever did. i can now actually comverse with people in the street as i dont already know everything via fb!

Gingerbreadmam Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:30

Gingerbreadmam Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:32

minesapintofwine Fri 30-Dec-16 21:57:29

I quit it two years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made for all sorts of reasons. Do it OP! Have a little me-party to celebrate like I would

TaggySits Fri 30-Dec-16 22:01:34

I'm the first to admit I'm a bit of a technology 'Luddite', especially with regards to social media, but FB genuinely scares me. I'm not on it but had a flick through my DSis's account this eve and it was ridiculous the amount of personal information I found out about people in less than 5 mins! Totally confirmed all my reasons for not having it.

spankhurst Fri 30-Dec-16 22:26:26

Quit 3 months ago, don't miss it one iota.

WellErrr Fri 30-Dec-16 22:38:19

I'm seriously considering this! As well as a Mumsnet curfew. I'm fed up of looking at my bloody phone all day. It's ridiculous.

YouHadMeAtCake Fri 30-Dec-16 22:40:27

I'm in the same boat OP. I live in another country and keep in touch and up to date through FB but I feel like you. It takes up far too much of my time and I was thinking of deleting the apps from iphone and iPad and just use it via laptop or desktop.

Deadsouls Fri 30-Dec-16 22:44:39

I quit FB in August and don't miss it at all. And I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I find it an satisfying stream of drivel and the more time I have away the more I think it's a weird way to relate to people; very false. People who I'm friends with have my number, email, whatsapp and I kept messenger enabled. It really was a waste of time for me and gave me a lot of anxiety. Do it! It's such a good decision.

cherrycrumblecustard Fri 30-Dec-16 22:46:30

I wasn't on it for years as my husband hated me on it, but I've recently rejoined to join in mummy groups blush

I quite like having something to flick through my phone on. But I don't really use it much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now