Talk

Advanced search

To think there is no way my baby will ever manage a Gina Ford routine?

(314 Posts)
Aliveinwanderland Fri 30-Dec-16 20:38:10

Someone recommended the Gina Ford book to me. Read it through and just laughed! There is no chance my 9 week old DS would manage that routine!

I am wanting to get him a little more structure after Christmas but according to Gina Ford he should be sleeping through from 10:30-7am by now. DS goes no longer than 3 hours between feeds and only feeds for 5-10 mins at a time. Gina says I should be doing 20 minutes on one breast and then 10 minutes on another- how on earth is someone suppose to force a baby take this much?

Gina Ford has gone back on the bookshelf never to be read again. But if anyone has any sensible advice about how to promote longer sleeping at night, or a good day time routine then please share!

yeOldeTrout Fri 30-Dec-16 20:39:31

careful... GF used to spark huge rows on MN.
Sorry mine were terrible sleepers, so I won't pretend to advise.

FATEdestiny Fri 30-Dec-16 20:41:11

Realistically Gina Ford can only be an option if you formula feed from newborn.

SandunesAndRainclouds Fri 30-Dec-16 20:41:37

Very glad you saw the funny side of GF. She writes utter tripe!

Mermaid36 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:41:45

I was given a GF book about twins when my girls arrived. I also laughed heartily and put the book down.

Your baby is only 9 weeks old. He will find his own routine. His tummy is still tiny so he needs frequent feeding. Just feed him when he is hungry! You don't need a set routine really. Just try and get out of the house every day (just for a walk) and make sure you eat and drink plenty. Cuddle your baby lots. That's pretty much it!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 30-Dec-16 20:42:19

Some babies do, some don't. DS1 thrived on routine, we followed Gina Ford and he slept through at 6 weeks. DS2 didn't suit it so well though. Trial and error to see what method works for your baby really!

FATEdestiny Fri 30-Dec-16 20:43:46

we followed Gina Ford and he slept through at 6 weeks

Was he formula fed JemimaMuddledUp?

Crunchymum Fri 30-Dec-16 20:44:19

Longer sleep? At 9 weeks? For a breast fed baby? Are you having a laff fgrin

Whowouldfardelsbear Fri 30-Dec-16 20:44:25

My Gina Ford book got flung out of the window (literally) when my 8 week old DDS refused to abide by the suggested routine. I suspect this thread won't last wrong though.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 30-Dec-16 20:44:30

The structure will come as he gets older, he will naturally fall into a pattern that suits him.

Whowouldfardelsbear Fri 30-Dec-16 20:45:37

*long

bittapitta Fri 30-Dec-16 20:45:55

Gina Ford isn't even a parent. Which explains a lot. YANBU.

EB123 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:46:00

Throw the book in the recycling bin and enjoy your new baby. They are meant to wake frequently for feeds when they are so small x

GreenAndWinter Fri 30-Dec-16 20:46:23

I once bought a Gina Ford book from a second hand shop, read a few chapters of it and then chucked it in the bin, seething. I should add that I am a trained breastfeeding suppporter.

I won't go into what I think in detail, as she has a history of getting arsey about what is written on mumsnet. However, I think the safest thing to do for your baby is to ignore her completely.

There's a great book called "Dream Babies: Childcare advice from Joh n Locke to Gina Ford" (by Christina Hardyment). It's sort of a historical overview of fashions in childcare, and it gave me the courage to see them all as fads and just listen to my baby.

MrsBB1982 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:46:53

I read it in my sleep addled state with newborn DS. Cried utility my DH told me DS was doing just fine without some 'crazy lady who doesn't know me or DS dictating what we do'. We bumble along fine after that. Went to a charity shop and never looked back!

ColdTeaAgain Fri 30-Dec-16 20:48:02

I'm not convinced GF even likes babies.

Marmalade85 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:48:30

Half an hour to 45 minutes for a breast feed is fairly normal OP. You must be feeding extremely frequently if it's only for 5-10 minutes?

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Fri 30-Dec-16 20:48:59

Gina Ford is bonkers.

I found the Baby Whisperer helpful in parts; she recommends a routine rather than a schedule and it's more about what works for your particular baby.

I didn't try and follow anything religiously though, just looked for ideas and suggestions

Laineymc7 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:49:04

I wouldn't follow GF. Listen to your baby. Feed him when he's hungry and let him sleep when he wants. It will all fall into place and you will soon notice a nap/sleep routine. I've always been led by my dd. She's 20 months now and sleeps from 7pm-8am with one nap in the day. All her own doing. Just relax with it all and if you are tired nap when baby is napping. I always did that. Good luck.

Lweji Fri 30-Dec-16 20:49:06

Are we allowed to mention Gina Ford now?
Weren't there threats of lawsuits or something?

Anyway, good for you. I think routines are good, but they work best when they follow the baby's (and our) natural rhythms.

2014newme Fri 30-Dec-16 20:50:43

Gina ford does not say babies should be sleeping 10.30_7.30 at 9 weeks that is simply not true.

Ab1000 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:50:58

Gina ford literally saved my life. I turned to her following a useless midwife who only wanted to push breast feeding and couldn't see that I was spiralling into pmd. Anyone with any sense will take gf, read it and realise that you only need to do what suits you. It's not necessary to follow it to the letter. I honestly do not think I would have survived or gone on to have a second child. Incidentally I did continue to breast feed with no help for a short time but thankfully saw sense and turned to formula. My dd is now 14 and an A* pupil so was not adversely affected

GreenAndWinter Fri 30-Dec-16 20:51:03

I also don't think that Gina Ford likes babies much. I wouldn't employ her as a nanny. I would rather employ a completely inexperienced teenager who loved my baby and cuddled him whenever he needed it. Of course, this is only my opinion, and I feel okay to express it because I think this thread will be zapped shortly anyway.

queenc81 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:51:14

Can't stand Gina ford. Babies do wake up in the night, she seems to think babies should walk out of the womb, bath and change themselves, then tuck themselves into bed at night. Stupid woman.

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 30-Dec-16 20:53:50

Have we gone back in time 14 years without me noticing?

Gina Ford belongs in the past. Tried it, as a naive first time parent. Always regretted it and glad I ditched it eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now