Talk

Advanced search

To get a cat without asking landlord?

(228 Posts)
lananana Fri 30-Dec-16 19:25:03

Wooden floors throughout so no danger of carpets being ripped. Previous tenant smoked and left the house in a state which I spent ages cleaning. Agents said no pets when I moved in.

FrankAndBeans Fri 30-Dec-16 19:25:52

Of course YWBU and completely unfair.

Hissy Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:20

Ask.

Or they will hammer your arse on check out.

Because you did this without permission

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:36

Yes. Ll finds out. Your choice is to move or abandon cat. What would you do?

Euphemia Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:41

Don't be daft.

HeCantBeSerious Fri 30-Dec-16 19:26:45

Probably as far from reasonable as you could get.

WatchingFromTheWings Fri 30-Dec-16 19:27:36

If landlord finds out there's a good chance you'll be asked to leave.

chickenowner Fri 30-Dec-16 19:27:52

If my tenant did this without asking I wouldn't renew at the end of the tenancy, make damn sure they paid for deep cleaning and any damage, plus they wouldn't get a reference from me.

And if they asked, I would say yes!

PidgeyfinderGeneral Fri 30-Dec-16 19:27:54

Don't.

I am an LL and I would be well pissed off if my tenant got a pet without asking after I've specified no pets.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 30-Dec-16 19:28:08

If you're in a flat above ground level with wooden floors, your downstairs neighbours may very well tell the landlord you have a cat living with you.

BadKnee Fri 30-Dec-16 19:29:15

Asking for trouble. And not fair. Why would you?

Hissy Fri 30-Dec-16 19:30:30

I was an inventory clerk. I found cat scratches on paint work and the tenant had sworn blind they'd had no cat... so I spent the next couple of hours investigating every nook and crannie to give the landlord the evidence to get the money back to repair the damage that cat had done.

HandsomeDevil Fri 30-Dec-16 19:30:54

standard contracts often say no pets as a matter of course.
It's worth seeing if you can contact the landlord direct to get their permission, and offer to pay an enhanced deposit or for a professional clean on leaving.

we did this when moving into a rented property with a cat we already had. Our landlady was a cat person and didn't require the extra deposit/profession clean we offered.

Hissy Fri 30-Dec-16 19:32:08

The tenant had neighbours look after the cat on inspection days, they were utterly devious and yes, got hammered on check out.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Fri 30-Dec-16 19:34:59

I'd punt you out the minute I found out. Don't be a dick. No pets means no pets.

Trifleorbust Fri 30-Dec-16 19:36:01

Clearly as the agent said no pets and you moved in on this basis, this would be very unreasonable.

Yetanothernewyearusername Fri 30-Dec-16 19:37:17

Furnished or unfurnished?

lananana Fri 30-Dec-16 19:38:07

Unfurnished.

andintothefire Fri 30-Dec-16 19:38:10

I did this. I had an elderly rescue cat and needed to find somewhere to rent quickly after the end of a relationship. So many agents specified "no pets" - I think it is really unfair to deprive somebody of a much loved pet (and sometimes much needed company) just because they can't afford to buy. I have very little sympathy for landlords who do this, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, I was fully prepared to recarpet the flat when I left and to pay in full for any damage that might have been caused. In the end, I received my deposit back in full because I paid for a deep clean and there was nothing deducted from my (hefty >£3000) deposit.

So I think it is up to you whether you take the risk. I have a lot of sympathy if you are in my situation of being refused the request of having a cat (despite offering a much larger deposit) and in the end just decide to rent somewhere without mentioning it. I would actually go as far as to say that landlords should not be allowed to specify "no pets" without considering a reasonable request in return for a larger deposit.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Fri 30-Dec-16 19:38:13

I'm a LL, my tenants contract states no pets & that's exactly what I mean. So yes, YWBVU to just go ahead & get one hmm

Crispsheets Fri 30-Dec-16 19:38:23

Just why would you do this?

CannotEvenDeal Fri 30-Dec-16 19:38:37

Very risky, I wouldn't! We are technically 'no pets' but we got an email confirming that our 2 hamsters could join us smile

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 30-Dec-16 19:39:44

Of course YWBU. Ask permission. Cats smell and your LL will clock on

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 30-Dec-16 19:41:43

I would actually go as far as to say that landlords should not be allowed to specify "no pets" without considering a reasonable request in return for a larger deposit.

On what grounds?

I have far more sympathy for the people who complain about landlords who specify "no children".

FrankAndBeans Fri 30-Dec-16 19:41:52

I have very little sympathy for landlords who do this, I'm afraid.

confused I have no sympathy for people who lose their deposit for lying and attempting to fuck over their LL. Just ask, or find another property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now