Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas gift spend mismatch

(14 Posts)
TheSconeOfStone Fri 30-Dec-16 18:14:23

AIBU to wish that people would have consistency from year to year on their gift budget? Just received presents for my DC of about £25-£30 when last year the value was about £5.00. I gave a token present of about £6 to their DC and now feel like a dick. Also a gift was given to me when previously we had decided to do presents for DC only.

One of my DC has ASD and was too embarrassed to open the present in front of the giver which also made things awkward.

Not sure whether to send a message apologising for my mean present. Next year I will sugggest birthdays only from now on.

limon Fri 30-Dec-16 18:37:42

Surely the monetary value of the gift us completely irrelevant?

TheSconeOfStone Fri 30-Dec-16 18:40:52

It is embarrassing though. My kids got expensive toys and their kids got something small. I worry about doing the wrong thing and making a fool of myself (a touch of the ASD my DD has I expect). I feel caught out somehow. I wish I was the sort of person who didn't worry about this sort of thing.

SnugglySnerd Fri 30-Dec-16 18:41:35

I know what you mean. My extended family usually buy cheap token/joke gifts so last year I gave my cousin Xmas socks and he had bought me a posh toiletries set that cost about £20. This year I got him a posh chocolate gift set for £20 and he hasn't got me anything. It was embarrassing for both of us both years.

dollydaydream114 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:47:36

Perhaps people just get what they can afford in that particular year. I know my spend on my nieces and nephews has varied a bit over the years depending on how well off (or not) I've been at the time (although as I get nothing back from them or their parents, it doesn't really matter).

Maybe you could suggest you stop doing Christmas gifts, as everyone has enough presents to buy already, or agree to keep it to small gifts next time?

cheekyfunkymonkey Fri 30-Dec-16 18:53:33

Yes you are being unreasonable, ££ isn't what it's about and the gift givers in this scenario probably quite rightly just base gift value on what they can afford any given year. If you worry about whether the recipient will like the gift and keep within your own budget based on what you can afford not keeping up with the Jones's then you can't go wrong.

dingdongthewitchishere Fri 30-Dec-16 18:54:25

YABU

I buy gifts for my family because I think they will like them, not to match any amount spent on us. If I can afford to spend £50 per person, I happily do it. If it's the winter my boiler packs up and we have a leak in the roof, then I spend a lot less.

If it bothers you that much, tell them as early as September that you want a limit on the amount spent.

TheSconeOfStone Fri 30-Dec-16 18:55:14

We had agreed to do token presents for kids only, and it wasn't even my suggestion. Totally happy with that plan. I will suggest in October no presents as I find her kids who are older than mine impossible to buy for. I'all stick to cash or gift cards for birthdays.

Eevee77 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:17:11

I wouldn't over think it. My income varies a lot so I buy what I can afford that year. Sometimes my mum gets a box of malteasers off me, other years it's more like £20-30 I spend. Same between me and OH.
Just give what your comfortable giving and be grateful for what (if) you receive.

TheSconeOfStone Fri 30-Dec-16 19:22:57

Thank you all for telling me I'm being unreasonable. I worry about appearing rude. Money isn't an issue for the person buying the gifts so maybe she just had more time this year. Whatever, gifts accepted with good grace and I will think no more of it

cookiefiend Fri 30-Dec-16 19:27:43

It can be embarrassing so YANBU to feel that way, but do try not to worry. Remember too if yor kids are younger people are often more generous as it can be fun to buy toys etc when you have no one else to buy them for.

GetTheeBehindMeSanta Fri 30-Dec-16 19:31:51

It all balances out over the years, and you're talking about a few pounds difference, not hundreds. It's more embarrassing to have a conversation about it after the event. Just carry on buying what you think they'd like.

allegretto Fri 30-Dec-16 19:33:42

YANBU - last year I spent about £30 on SIL and she spent about £10 on me (no problem). This year I spent £30 again and she spent £80! It was so lovely of her but I do feel a bit embarrassed.

SparkleShinyGlitter Fri 30-Dec-16 19:37:11

When I get a present and this year we had DD ( first Christmas) and when we were given different presents for her never have we thought how much it costed.

Anybody that gets a gift and just thinks " oh well it only cost x" is probably not a very nice person tbh

I understand you are embrassed, but honestly there is no need to feel that way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now