Talk

Advanced search

To try floor sleeping?

(11 Posts)
yellowpostitnote Fri 30-Dec-16 17:39:42

Bit 'random' but...

I've been reading bits and bobs about transitioning to floor sleeping after spending far too much on comfy mattresses as it's 'so good for you'.

I think I now get why; your body initially feels like shit as it's stretching and changing as it's unsupported, but then it acclimatises, and then you can sleep anywhere!

I used to be able to sleep anywhere and was impressed that the 70 year old who lives above my BIL in NY does this, on a little mat.

I have actually had a really bad do with my hips post baby, amongst other things, and have some level of hypermobility- BUT I used to be fine camping etc! Would love to get back to it. I've been finding the Katy Bowman physio stuff very good and I know she did transition to floor sleeping. However I wonder if it's only for the ver ver fit?

Has anyone done it?!

I'm only thinking about it... And am chicken...

chitofftheshovel Fri 30-Dec-16 17:47:33

I don't do it per se but always sleep really well on the floor. I recently "camped" out in my sitting room for a few nights, sleeping on the floor in front of the fire, it was glorious!
Never realised it was a thing, shall have to look into it later.

AnthonyPandy Fri 30-Dec-16 17:53:27

I used to do this, it's fine. But you can't store stuff under the bed (obviously) and your duvet might get a bit fluffy if you only hoover once a year like I do.

yellowpostitnote Fri 30-Dec-16 18:00:58

This is the thing though - I used to.

I just can't now; the pain would be shit. I can't even sleep well on a firm bed.

Hence thinking about trying to reverse this...!

Mrsemcgregor Fri 30-Dec-16 18:09:52

How would you transition? It sounds like there is a process?

EggysMom Fri 30-Dec-16 18:10:56

Sounds good to me, but I don't think I'd get the OH to do it. We have a really firm mattress, it's probably as close as I'll get.

yellowpostitnote Fri 30-Dec-16 18:13:38

I do need to read up on how one blogger did it. Another just went cold turkey. Or move into a couple of duvets then reduce?

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 30-Dec-16 18:17:32

I didn't realise this was a thing. I sometimes sleep on the floor when I can't get comfy in bed then after a few nights I can't get comfy on the floor and move back to the bed. I don't know how you would transition, I would just go cold turkey.

Mixdalot Fri 30-Dec-16 19:07:32

Weird, I was looking at some youtube minimalists posting about this just yesterday. One of them does it with a pillow to support her lower body and knee like I did when pregnant. Comfy but a bit faffy IMO. I'd be more tempted to get a small roll up futon, eg bed in a bag, and see how I go with that for a while.

yellowpostitnote Fri 30-Dec-16 20:28:38

No I didn't know it was a 'thing' but seems it is if you're one of the movement movement gurus. I guess it's a sign of how good your joints are if you can.

And, it would be lovely to be able to sleep anywhere again.

I didn't know it was a minimalist thing either!

winewolfhowls Fri 30-Dec-16 21:11:57

I need to go the other way and get a taller bed with storage underneath.
As a regular camper I can only say that floor sleeping is fine for a week or so but then the bliss of a nice soft bed is beyond description.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now