Talk

Advanced search

To pick your brains about knitwear? (premie and chemo stuff in particular.

(28 Posts)
DrSeuss Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:14

I recently joined an organisation which makes knitted and crocheted stuff for SCBU and chemo patients. The patterns are provided but the examples are so bland.
When I was a new mum, I loved dressing my children up in cute stuff. Do ventilator bonnets have to be pastel? Would anyone with experience in this area have liked, say, a Minion bonnet or a rabbit? Or am I completely missing the point?
Also, chemo caps. My mother died of cancer. Given the choice, she would have rather had a bright colour, maybe with flowers and sparkles. Surely children would like a chemo cap with Minions/ Spider-Man/Hello Kitty? Cancer is shit, it has robbed me of numerous family members. Surely anything that makes it even a tiny bit less shit helps? Or am I just being tasteless and crass?

Artandco Fri 30-Dec-16 15:35:00

I think bright is fine instead of pastel, and patterns. But pictures no as then limits who can have what ie an 8 year old boy might not want the last two hats with hello kitty on them.

For my own babies I always dressed them 0-1 year in white and pale colours also so maybe they see that as preference?

FuzzyCustard Fri 30-Dec-16 15:36:07

I think you are totally on the right lines. If nothing else, the things you suggest will give people choice which is always a good thing. My DH will shortly lose his hair to chemo, and the choice of men's headwear is pretty dire.(And wigs are not an option) Navy or brown anyone?

notrocketscience Fri 30-Dec-16 15:36:28

I'm making a twiddlemuff for a lady with dementia, it'a going to be as colourful as Las Vegas at a fairground complete with tiny soft cuddly toys. Patterns are just a guide, up to you to add the colour. Enjoy!

DoubleGin Fri 30-Dec-16 15:37:04

Helloo, my little boy was born at 30weeks, he had a tiny blue hat it was super cute, I stil have it. I think it's a lovely idea to make things a little bit more imaginative. when we moved to LDU there were the most beautiful knitted blankets people had made also. It's nice to know that people take time out to do that. (Especially because I give up so easily on my knitting projects !)

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 30-Dec-16 15:37:50

I imagine the patterns provided are probably there as a guide and kept as simple as possible so as many crafters as possible can make them?

Why not ask the charity if they can make use of more colourful designs?

I'd certainly like colour, particularly in terms of cancer treatment.

The idea of minion and similar designs may have copyright issues, but other colourful bright designs may be fine

hashtagblessed Fri 30-Dec-16 15:39:32

I'd have LOVED options that weren't baby blue or pink for our v premature dd. We had one tiny yellow hat with a daisy that she wore on a surgery day. We kept it because it's so beautiful. It's about the size of a Babybell and the daisy is just smaller than a 5p. Amazingly skilled knitting!

CrazyGreyhoundLady Fri 30-Dec-16 15:43:51

My DD1 was in scbu for a while, go for it, the parents will still have the choice of the pastel stuff if they would prefer, especially if you are the only one in the group knitting brighter stuff. I know from personal experience the people knitting stuff are angels who make the stay that little bit easier. Thank you for whatever you knit flowers

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 30-Dec-16 15:49:28

One of my most treasured possessions is the lovely colourful striped blanket that some kind person knitted and donated to the baby unit. My daughter had it with her every day of her short life and I cherish it with the few other possessions she had. I often wonder if the person who knitted it knows how much it means to me.

flowers you are wonderful.

MiaowTheCat Fri 30-Dec-16 16:02:55

I think the baby stuff is possibly just the traditional blue/pink/white mentality. Sounds superficial and hopefully it's not taken the wrong way (but with some on here I know it will be) but I found one of the worst feelings of DD1 being premature and in NICU being that I lost any autonomy over how I dressed her - I'd bought loads of bright and colourful babygrows and the like (we don't do pastels in this house - they show the muck!) and instead it was the hospital's drawer of pastel pink and white only. It depressed me at an already shitty time a lot.

soloula Fri 30-Dec-16 16:03:38

For the premies there are loads of gorgeous self patterning wools that knit up lovely. I've used sirdar crofter baby - they come in a mix of pastels and brights. There are loads others too smile

ChishandFips33 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:09:49

flowers I think you're wonderful for doing this

No personal experience to share but I imagine most parents like dressing their babies up so I would do a few and see how they are received??

Wow, the babybel example really does put it into perspective!

ChishandFips33 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:16:27

Rather than characters in case copyright is an issue, could ears, bows or flowers be added?

theapplesarecoming Fri 30-Dec-16 16:19:36

Do you mind sharing which organisation this is? I'd love to get involved with something like this.

Lalala82 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:36:27

I had a 30 weeker and we spent 8 weeks in Nicu/Scbu, a lovely idea. My friend did us a beautiful crochet hat and there were some other hats on unit but would be a lovely choice and anything that is thoughtful is well appreciated at that time! X

notrocketscience Fri 30-Dec-16 23:40:46

Loving that hat!

HerRoyalNotness Fri 30-Dec-16 23:52:17

DD1 had a bright coloured one with a pompon that my friend knitted her. After I learnt to crochet I did some with little bear ears on them and a couple with flowers. I think the only stipulation is to avoid knots and seams when sewing bits on so they're not uncomfortable on the skin.

TheGnomeMobile1 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:55:56

You bright colour and character right on! Make your work the examples of the future. And really, don't worry about licensing, I don't think Pixar give a shit about your charitable endeavours. If they do you can stop!

Pestilence13610 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:57:06

DSis had chemo this year. Made her a hat from a lovely yak/silk mix. Grown up colours, no acrylic.

user1471433377 Sat 31-Dec-16 08:34:59

When I had chemo my cousin sent me the best woolly hats ever; bright colours (purples/pinks and reds/oranges) with a kinda 1920s type style. I ended up living in them; they were cool, stylish, and kept my head warm (you don't realise how cold being bald makes you); and they were also a talking point. So bright, cool and funky is definitely the right thing for chemo hats in my experience

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 31-Dec-16 08:41:56

I personally liked the little pastle colours but I would probably have picked something brighter if it had been available. I still have the tiny cardis & hats that we bought dc 1 & 2 when they were in SCBU. Whatever you make parents & patients will be very grateful that someone has taken the time to make it.

BigGreenOlives Sat 31-Dec-16 08:46:54

A lot of the knitters are older & more traditional. I think I've even seen guidelines suggesting white/pastels as they while dull will be worn by anyone whereas bright colours are more personal taste.

InTheRedTent Sat 31-Dec-16 09:37:53

It would have been wonderful to have something with a personality for my preemies, all dressed in the same generic pink and blue vests with holes for tubes and wires made you feel like your baby was a product rather than an individual child who would grow to have their own interests and personality

BigGreenOlives Mon 02-Jan-17 22:56:03

There are a lot of older people who knit for premature babies, I know quite a few. Some of them prefer to knit for babies as the items are lighter, others remember what it is like to be worried about a baby. The ladies I know are very careful not to knit when they have colds etc. and take great pride in their work. There is one woman I know of who has lost her sight but still produces the most beautiful little cardigans and hats. If its alright I will pass on your thoughts InTheRedTent as I know they will be touched by your experience.

sillypussy Tue 03-Jan-17 10:30:28

All 3 kids were in intensive care when first born so we had to use the home knitted stuff as they were all so tiny! I always loved seeing them in hand knitted cardies, boots and hats. Whilst they had traditional pastel colors I would have loved to have seen them in some funky bright colors. It's an awful experience visiting your kids in SCBU so anything that puts a smile on your face is worth it. So yes, please do some bright, weird, crazy knitting for the babies. It will all be greatly appreciated and probably 'fought' over!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now