Talk

Advanced search

To ask why I've got acid reflux?

(40 Posts)
LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:15:43

I posted in summer about this and other posters helped me realise my daily portion or two of gazpacho was causing the acidity.

Now it's back. I'm avoiding coffee. We did have raw tomato for breakfast yesterday but since then I can only think the causes might be... weak black tea mid morning today (I drink black tea really rarely) or a Fudge finger and selection box bag of Buttons shared with my husband last night? (Don't judge...Christmas eating "rules" are still in place in this house).

Any ideas? It's quite mild but still irritating.

danTDM Fri 30-Dec-16 15:17:45

with me it's always alcohol! Have you had more over Christmas maybe? Or more tangerines/citrusy stuff?

GreenTureen Fri 30-Dec-16 15:21:07

Some people just 'do' and there's no cause for it.

I'm one of those - my reflux is consistent whether I eat salad and water or stuff my self on red meat, chocolate and coffee.

I have GERD so mine isn't mild but there are various versions of it. If it's bothering you, see the GP, there are lots of simple medications that will control it.

Heirhelp Fri 30-Dec-16 15:21:40

Alcohol and fatty food cause reflux in me.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:23:35

Thanks. Haven't eaten any tangerines or other citrus fruit. Only fruit eaten really recently (apart from tomato) has been grapes but we ran out on Wednesday morning and have yet to do a shop for more.

Only alcohol was a glass of champagne and a glass of wine on the 24th and again on the 25th. No acid reflux then - could have been neutralised by sheer volume of parsnips I stuffed in at festive meals. No booze since then. (Not a big drinker - last time before that was a couple of Bellinis at a friend's bday brunch late November).

LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:27:34

Thanks, again. Haven't had fatty food since 26th - on 24th, 25th and 26th we had cheeseboard, roasted parsnips, mince pies. Didn't get acid reflux then and have been eating "normally" since then (apart from last night's Cadbury's selection box forage) but the reaction might be delayed.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 15:28:38

I've had to stop eating tomatoes.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:13

Chew some gum, it really helps.

Strongmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:23

I have intermittent reflux that can last for months and then goes as quickly as it arrives. My triggers are alcohol and coffee. I had an endoscopy and I have a small hiatus hernia that pops out (nice). It's bloody annoying. Maybe you've got one too?

dollydaydream114 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:55

I get this too, and I've been told that it's pretty common and there's often no real reason for it; it's just something that some people get. Some people only get it when they gain weight.

It's worth seeing you GP if you get it every day, as there are a couple of possible causes they can check for. Once they've ruled those out, they can prescribe Omeprazole if necessary - it's just a single capsule that you take every day and it really helps. You can also buy Nexium Control from the pharmacy, which has a similar effect.

Strongmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 15:30:20

And yes chewing gum really helps, but avoid mint as acts as a relaxant and makes reflux worse

teainbed Fri 30-Dec-16 15:32:00

Helicobacter infection?

Hercules12 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:35:26

Dd has gerd and chocolate is a problem.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Fri 30-Dec-16 15:39:54

Incredibly fudge is one of the few chocolates that triggers mine. That might be the culprit.

GottaCatchEmAll137 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:41:38

It may not be related to your diet. I have a hiatus hernia which causes mine. My GP prescribes lansoprazole which I take daily to stop it. If over the counter antacids aren't working, speak to your GP.

GottaCatchEmAll137 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:44:02

Should have also said that it's important to get reflux under control because it can damage your oesophagus long term which can lead to serious problems.

Blacksox Fri 30-Dec-16 15:44:29

Are you overweight? My friend has GERD, and her weight is a factor.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:45:17

Thanks, everyone. I had it for a few weeks in summer, then, following Mners' advice, cut down dramatically on my gazpacho intake blush and it went away. Came back a few hours ago. I will try gum for now (ironic, as a secondary teacher gum is my no. 1 enemy!) If it persists and can't be remedied with dietary changes, I'll ask the doctor.

If it were a hernia, would there be other symptoms?

LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:46:29

I don't know what gerd is, sorry.

I'm not overweight (5'7", size 8-10) and exercise quite a bit.

GottaCatchEmAll137 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:53:56

I have no other symptoms. I only know it's a hernia because I had an endoscopy to investigate the reflux. Good luck OP. Hopefully you'll be back on the gazpacho in no time!

Groovee Fri 30-Dec-16 15:55:20

I'm awaiting an endoscopy to see why mine is so bad.

bear28 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:57:42

I get this every single day and if I don't take my medication it can be horrific. I find it can be down to my weight. If I lose weight it subsides but if I gain weight it comes back badly. Obviously it is to do with your diet/alcohol/caffeine intake.

GreenTureen Sat 31-Dec-16 09:09:35

GERD is Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease op.

I would be wary about possible medications though and do your own research on medication before you go to the GP.

PP's have mentioned Omeprazole or Lansoprazole, common medications for GERD and it's symptoms - and some GP's will reach instantly for one of those (mine did initially). But they're quite hefty medications and come with a whole range of possible side effects/interactions with other drugs - and there have been quite a few studies linking them to potential dementia etc after long term use so i'd not personally take them unless I absolutely had to.

I have fairly severe GERD but i'm on Ranitidine which is fantastic and does the job but much less in the way of known risks.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 31-Dec-16 09:14:25

I have this after acidic alcohol (wine, sherry etc.) but never Bacardi.

It didn't use to happen, for me it's obviously another side effect of ageing 😕.

lozengeoflove Sat 31-Dec-16 09:16:41

Helictobactor.
Ask your GP to test you for it. Can be done through stool samples, among other means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now