Talk

Advanced search

Health anxiety?

(8 Posts)
Governoress86 Fri 30-Dec-16 14:54:06

Hi all

For the past 15 years i have suffered on and off with anxiety and panic attacks but for the past 2 years i have suffered with it so bad that i lost my job and now i struggle to leave the house.

I have been to the drs and have been in sertraline, citrolpram and currently on peroxatine which dont seem to be working. I am currently waiting for my home assessment from the community health team on 17/01/17.

I am starting to think that i have health anxiety as anything that happens to me i think i am going to die. Like this morning i woke up with some blood in my nose and now i think i have something wrong with me.
Last week i was on antibiotics for an abscessed tooth now i have finished them and the dentist is now closed for new year i think it will turn septic and i will die. I know it sounds pathetic but i cant help it.

I feel like no one understands and that i am the only one wgo thinks this way. My life is on hold constantly because of my anxiety and panic attacks.
I have a 6 year old daughter to look after and my partner has to do all the school runs because i cant cope with people in the playground so that makes me feel like a rubbish mum. I just want to be normal again.

Sorry for the rant but feel like im going insane.

Soozikinzi Fri 30-Dec-16 16:46:29

I know 2 people with health anxiety and it is a very genuine condition I think it is becoming more common with the internet and people being able to research health conditions so easily.I think the key thing is that you've recognised it in yourself and that is half the battle already won.I am sure you can get professional help for this .One of the sufferers I know just won't accept that she has a mental condition and has spent tens of thousands on private treatments to find out what is wrong .You really must get professional help and advice and I hope that your acceptance will lead to you being able to control it xxx

LoisEinhorn Fri 30-Dec-16 17:52:17

I had this a few years ago and the panic and sense of doom I had over me was just awful. I couldn't listen to any songs that had death or dying in. Even the JLS song 'Heart Won't Beat Again' just made me feel sick.
Every little spot I had, to me, was a sign of meningitis. I just felt like I was going to die any moment.
I was having heart palpitations that didn't help how I felt. Terrified doesn't seem a strong enough word.
I spent quite a bit of time on nomorepanic.co.uk
It really helped and I've also been on citalopram since which helps too. I don't suffer with health anxiety anymore (touching wood)

Sending you gentle hugs, it really is a horrible thing to go through xx

Choccywokky Fri 30-Dec-16 18:02:23

I have health anxiety. It's hardwork and can lie dormant and then WHAM. It hits me like a ton of bricks and I cant function.

I have sat waiting with the receptionists in the past in the doctors for my appointment as I have had panic attacks whilst waiting to be seen. The Dr even came to see me in the waiting room one time.

I am now waiting to start a High intensity therapy course for health anxiety as a low intensity course didn't even touch the service.

I know how you are feeling I really really do and uforchantly you are not alone with yours feelings flowers

Governoress86 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:07:44

Thank you for the replies. Its nice to know that i am not the only one feeling like this. It is the worst thing i have ever experienced. I panic over the smallest thing.
Palpitations are the worst.....i hate them.

In the laat year i have been convinced i have had a brain tumour, cervical cancer, oral cancer, lung cancer......my partner finds it funny with the self diagnosis i come up with......and it does not help when i use old google to look up symptoms....i know i shouldnt but i find it hard not too.

The best thing to come of this is i have managed to give up smoking nearly 4 months ago.

Its nice to talk to people who have experienced or know know people who are going through the same thing. Xx

LoisEinhorn Mon 02-Jan-17 14:22:49

How are you? x

Gracey1231 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:00:33

i have health anxiety too, always there if you need a chat Hun

There's a great forum called nomorepanic which is basically other people with health anxiety who can help you through the tough times, rationalise your thoughts etc xxxx

Governoress86 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:13:41

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have not been so good over the new year. I have been on antibiotics for a tooth abcess and it settled but then yesterday had a white pimple appear above the abscessed tooth and now im panicking about that thinking the infection is going to spread and i will end up with sepsis. I have brought my tooth extraction forward to next tuesday but have all sorts going through my head.

Im driving my partner mad as he is telling me not worry and nothing bad is going to happen.

I have made an appointment with my dr for the 16/1/17 regardong my medication and have a home assessment with a community mental health nurse on 17/1/17 as i struggle with agoraphobia.

Sorry for the long winded essay. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now