Talk

Advanced search

To think kids would be better off in front of screens than playing with crap fucking toys that don't work

(38 Posts)
woundedplacerias Fri 30-Dec-16 11:19:16

Well not really, but I get so enormously frustrated with kits and the like that simply are not fit for purpose.

Got ds1 (9) the gadget shop electronic tenpin bowling set for Christmas and he has just constructed it. Was a bit fiddly and tricky in places and I am useless at this sort of stuff so if was hairy at times but lovely to see him get on with it and resolve problems etc. However, when it was done, the track thing it comes with is simply not fit for purpose and the ball is never going to stay on it and run down to the pins as it's not flat ffs. It's made of flimsy cardboard - if it was plastic or firmer cardboard and had a gully it would be fine, but they have gone for the cheapest option so it can't be used angry. I can see how we might be able to make something else for it, but as I said, I'm not practical at all and, anyway, why should it be necessary?

Meanwhile, ds2 has been trying to do a djeco set but it came with no glue (we had some) and I cannot see for the life of me how the tiny spaces are going to be filled with different coloured types of glitter. Quite frustrating - basically now looks like a glitter explosion and nothing whatsoever like the picture.

Neither of these things were cheap, so aibu to think they should be fit for purpose?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 30-Dec-16 11:23:57

Ditto chocolate pen last year! It makes me really cross that it's just acceptable to put out shonky products for children.

Lego never lets you down though. Or playmobil.

woundedplacerias Fri 30-Dec-16 11:36:33

Well I know it's sacrilegious to say it on here, but lego is often a source of frustration in this house. Yes, the kits do work and are a fun challenge to put together, but the pictures on the boxes and adverts that show kids, you know, actually playing with them once built - maybe like, holding a plane up at a jaunty angle as if flying it, are horribly misleading ime. If a model is so much as moved gingerly onto another surface bits fall off. There is no way they can be played with.

Playmobile I agree is better, but again has far too many tiny fiddly bits that add little to the overall toy. I was thinking the other day, are all these new and ever more complicated toys progress really, or a source of frustration for parents and children?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 30-Dec-16 11:41:09

OK... Nerf guns? Pretty solid?

Alorsmum Fri 30-Dec-16 11:42:09

Lego drives me mad too. They build it and never play with it again.
Bought a peppa pig kitchen for Dd3 and it will last about 5 mins it's so flimsy
Selfiemic broke on the 27th and never worked properly anyway

woundedplacerias Fri 30-Dec-16 11:49:20

Yes, the more closely related they are to tv shows etc, the crapper they will be.

Nerfs are great, but they are very stingy with the amount of bullets they give - they surely can't be expensive? <in the mood to find a negative with everything>.

QuandryQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 11:51:58

I hate it when toys come in a box that needs pretty much destroying in order to get the item out (plastic ties etc) and then once out there's nothing to store it in! We have numerous sets given that don't have boxes or storage or anything to put them in when not being played with.

Cagliostro Fri 30-Dec-16 11:58:52

Less is more with toys, I also tell the kids that generally toys that need advertising to sell are rubbish, that's why they need adverts! Whereas better quality stuff is generally sold on merit and good reviews etc (although the fact some Lego/playmobil sets are advertised threw me a bit)

Yoarchie Fri 30-Dec-16 12:01:16

I bought my 10yo an iPhone in preference to a sackful of toys that aren't fit for purpose. He was thrilled and doesn't miss the piles of crap one bit. I've had so many christmases of putting together shite that I told both kids that they have nice toys and we won't add to them. They were perfectly happy and ds said best Christmas ever. He is very responsible with behaviour and possessions so I'm not worried about it and anyway it's an older model so not £££££.

ragz134 Fri 30-Dec-16 12:05:57

YANBU. DD spent some of her Christmas money in Argos on Tuesday and we will have to take one item back as it's just shit. Okay you can't expect a lot for a tenner but don't sell it if it doesn't bloody work! Feel bad telling them to go play when half their stuff is shit...
Lego. Lego is great but the sets get built once and then it joins the pile of bits. Very expensive really, but at least they will still play with it for a fair while even at 9 and 10.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Fri 30-Dec-16 12:08:41

I kind of agree. DD1 got the v tech smart watch and spent hours occupied playing with it - was well worth the money. Santa brought a much wanted ninja turtles air hockey set that takes D batteries, the batteries lasted 20 mins (didn't put cheapo ones in) now whinging to go back on the watch.

DD2 got tonnes of paw patrol bits which are actually pretty well made compared to other character stuff we've had in the past.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates big Lego sets - a couple of years ago I got the girls a big box of basic bricks it was the best gift ever. Then each year top up with little sets that don't cause tears when they don't stay together or sit around half built. The mixels are favourites here smile

Some of the toys packaging requires a fucking degree to release from its packaging - the amount of plastic angers me. Plus the fact I have no rubbish collection until 3rd Jan and no recycling until the 11th Jan so it's all currently in my cupboard getting in my way angry

Oh and one last moan - Shit overhyped games. Last year it was Shh don't wake dad this year pop pop pinata. Total crap and both cost more than the well loved junior monopoly and game of life.

GreenTureen Fri 30-Dec-16 12:12:13

Our biggest disappointment has been Pieface Showdown which was the main thing that ds2 wanted.

He had the standard Pie face last year - fantastic, it's used frequently.

Pieface 2 is a shoddily made piece of rubbish IMO - the hand is curved so you can't put cream on without it sliding off and it's too far away so doesn't work. Awful, the boys got bored within 5 minutes.

RebelSoldier Fri 30-Dec-16 12:19:01

I try not to buy toys that have poor reviews despite kids being desperate. E.g. Chocolate coin maker.

Regarding the two item she you mention: I would return the bowling alley toy and I am sure they will give you voucher or refund.

The djeco item is great if I recall. If a little disposable. It's suitable for about 6/7 I would say and/or with parental supervision. I don't recall whether glue was included. I remember each coloured sand having a number assigned to it. Ooh I remember there was no glue - it had peel off stickers so was easier. You peeled off blue assigned stickers. Sand stuck. Shake off excess. And repeat for each colour. And voila. Beautiful picture. Sorry if this isn't the toy you had. In my experience Djeco is fab and good quality.

But YANBU about shit toys. Don't buy them though!

NotTheOriginalGreen Fri 30-Dec-16 12:19:45

I agree. We bought DC a Toy Story RC for Christmas and it just simply doesn't work. Tried multiple sets of new batteries but nothing. We took it back to the shop and exchanged, the second one lasted for an hour and then broke again. Cue two very upset DC.

I kicked myself when I looked online afterwards and found a mass of reviews complaining about the same thing. Why on earth is it even still on sale when it's apparently well known for not working before its even out of the box?!

drspouse Fri 30-Dec-16 12:23:33

We got DS a remote controlled car, the price range available was not huge so it didn't seem like the quality would be much better if you paid more so we just got a cheaper one. The control ariel was broken in 3 days. Batteries last about 2 hours.

We have a box of Lego classic for DS's imminent birthday and I think he's getting one Junior set too but we will top up with Classic or small sets too.

Jellybean83 Fri 30-Dec-16 12:25:57

We bought DS the Meccano mecanoid robot, should respond to voice commands and interact with you, does it fuck! It can't understand a fucking word we say, it does nothing!

woundedplacerias Fri 30-Dec-16 12:35:31

RebelSoldier Thank you so much - feel a total idiot now, but we didn't see that there was stuff to peel off! In my defence the instructions aren't ever so clear and ds1 was doing the bowling thing at the same time! Tbh, I did think something was amiss as ds1 had a djeco set (not glitter based) and that has been great, so I did wonder at the other one being shit! At least ds2 can now do the other cards.

Not sure that they would replace the bowling thing, or that it would make a difference if they did, as the shape is just not right in the first place.

It's just terrible that companies are so cynical in this way.

ofudginghell Fri 30-Dec-16 12:35:42

The 3d magic pen thing that makes 3d things out of a glue gun type thing using coloured gunk that never dries and comes out in blobs,not lines.
Takes a whole tube to create the smallest shitty looking box shape and is just cheap plastic rubbish. Not impressed at all.
The dip dye thing is good but you get three decent sized items to dip due and need at least three of you to do it as all stages need to be done so quickly before the fluid goes funky and dries up in the bowl. confused

RebelSoldier Fri 30-Dec-16 12:36:29

Reminds me of Lola the Fucking dog that is supposed to respond to you. £25!!!!!! Stupid piece of shit. Kid won't even let me throw her away so stuck with her.

woundedplacerias Fri 30-Dec-16 12:38:06

As for reviews, I usually do check them, and have probably avoided some stinkers in this way, but they can be mind-boggling in some ways. You always get a few slating it, and I find that makes me anxious. I suppose you just have to go with the majority though.

saltandvinegarcrisps1 Fri 30-Dec-16 12:38:10

YANBU. This thread brings back memories of hell. We nearly divorced over leggo!! in-laws always bought much older leggo sets for DS (eg age 10 stuff when he was 3) cos he was "so advanced" (he wasnt) but DS would be so wanting to build it that me and DH would be trying to cook dinner, look after other DC and build fekn leggo which was always a disappointment - spaceship wouldn't actually fly etc. Makes me glad mine are now on electronic gadgets or sleeping off hangover fsmile

RebelSoldier Fri 30-Dec-16 12:40:15

Haha wounded we've all been there. You should return the bowling thing! I returned a £4 item that was shit & it felt good to stand up for my consumer rights. (Sticky spider that was supposed to stick to wall and walk and didn't....).

Underparmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 12:57:10

The djeco set has labels that peel off! Thats what the green stick is for.

Its the one things I've been pleased with this xmas.

Otherwise I'm with you- we've got masses of cheap crappy craft stuff that'll just go in the bin.

Underparmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 12:57:49

Sorry, just seen someone else wrote about the labels!

Underparmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 12:59:12

Rebel - we have a lucy dog like that from last year. Never did anything it was supposed to!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: