Talk

Advanced search

My FIL giving dh a pouche of tabacco when he has stated he will be looking to quit smoking in the new year

(10 Posts)
celeste84 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:02:35

My dh used to be a regular smoker. Not particularly heavy, 5 or 6 a day. Now he has it down to smoking a few cigar's down the pub once or twice a week. He doesn't smoke at home (outside) or at work anymore. He just says he likes to smoke when having a drink which I think is fine enough. He has recently through his own accord stated that he wishes to quit altogether which i'm happy about. Family know of this. Over xmas on Boxing Day my FIL who recently went on holiday to Spain gives him a pouch of rolling tabacco saying he forgot to give it to him months ago. AIBU or is FIL being an idiot doing that?

PlaymobilPirate Fri 30-Dec-16 11:04:40

Meh- dh is an adult, he can choose to decline it /stash it away / give it away if he's set on quitting.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Fri 30-Dec-16 11:04:41

Maybe he just forgot, didn't listen or wasn't aware. Just pass the tobacco on to someone else. Or your DH can smoke it can't he? It's not the new year yet.

celeste84 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:08:24

Its one of those 50g large packs that will last ages. He already started to smoke it casually 'because its xmas'. Yes he is an adult and its up to him to keep to his word but the gesture annoyed me.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 30-Dec-16 11:10:44

So your DH does exactly what FIL expects and has no decision making faculties of his own?

celeste84 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:13:26

It was Boxing Day where alcohol was being drunk so he merrily accepted the tabacco.

Jellybean83 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:18:29

Your FIL isn't the idiot, if your DH is serious about quitting then he shouldn't have accepted, he does have free will and could have politely said thanks but no thanks, he still can bin it or give it away to another smoker. Be annoyed at DP, not FIL.

JustAnotherPoster00 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:24:20

OP I need you to drip feed me some more info because I dont think I have all the facts grin

CheeseCrackersAndWine Fri 30-Dec-16 11:24:22

I have a husband how has claimed he is stopping smoking umpteen times in the last 8 years (since I was pregnant with our oldest). Yet to happen. While not the best gift to give anyone it's silly to be annoyed at your FIL over it. If your DH is going to quit, he will do it regardless of how much tobacco anyone give him.

celeste84 Fri 30-Dec-16 11:31:54

Yes dh is a fool, I'll put him in the doghouses grin

What follow up info would you like Poster00?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now