Talk

Advanced search

To not replace the washing machine (any landlords about?)

(38 Posts)
Keremy Fri 30-Dec-16 09:47:08

When we moved into our rental some years ago the previous tenant had been evicted and left behind their washer and fridge. We asked if they would leave it in for us. We have admittedly used it for years but it wasn't new when we moved in.

Washing machine has broken and we replaced from our own pocket.

Landlord is now saying that if we move our washer needs to stay in place of the one they left.

Aibu to think this is unfair. Basically they get a brand new washer for one they didn't pay for and was already at least three years old.

Also our cheap beige carpets that were in fairness new are knackered due to being a decade old. Do you know if I would be charged for those too?

MatildaTheCat Fri 30-Dec-16 09:52:08

Your LL can only claim for a percentage of wear and tear. So if the carpets were old and are now older he's got no claim. If they were ok but old and you have ruined them he has a small claim. If you look at the DPS disputes section it's well explained.

If you dispute the washing machine you will probably win but check your inventory. If it says supplied with washing machine and fridge, then LL is responsible for replacing them or repairing. Did you consult them? I, for example, have quite an old washer/ drier in my BTL but I have a, insurance policy for repairs so wouldn't have been happy if the tenant bought a new one without consulting me then proposed taking it with them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Starypjs Fri 30-Dec-16 09:52:28

Buy a cheap secondhand one and leave that? Taking your nice one with you.

MatildaTheCat Fri 30-Dec-16 09:53:19

Sorry, just reread, after a decade the carpets are expected to be knackered. If he tries to take anything off the deposit enter a dispute. He will lose.

scaryteacher Fri 30-Dec-16 09:53:52

I wouldn't expect you to leave your washing machine; by leaving the old one in situ, your l/l didn't have to pay for disposal costs. You didn't ask him to replace it when it broke, so you own yours. He can choose to let w/o white goods, as I do.

Carpets, there is wear and tear taken into consideration, so after a decade, he won't get much, if anything. My tenants ruined a pristine laminate floor, but because it was over 10 years old, I only got the cost of the repair, which was £40.

CannotEvenDeal Fri 30-Dec-16 09:54:38

When we viewed our rented flat the carpets were knackered (and cheap too) and the landlord replaced them out of his own pocket with much better quality.

Re: the washing machine I did read once that landlords aren't required to provide one so I suppose if you bought it you could technically take it with you.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 30-Dec-16 10:00:46

Check your inventory. Either the LL provides a fridge and washing machine or they don't. If they do, they'd have been responsible for repairing and replacing it. It seems unlikely they'd have made that commitment.

If they don't, then obvs you don't have to return one to the and you've saved them disposal costs.

Etak15 Fri 30-Dec-16 10:01:12

I would imagine that after a 10 yr tenancy most landlords would realise that the property would need a bit of a refurb new carpets etc anyway, and if the washing machine belongs to the landlord then he should have paid for the replacement that you paid for! Take it with you!

specialsubject Fri 30-Dec-16 10:05:15

Is the washing machine on the inventory?

Have you read the how to rent guide?

Foffyouwanker Fri 30-Dec-16 10:06:54

Easy, if you move you replace it with a non working piece of scrap. His problem, not yours.

Trifleorbust Fri 30-Dec-16 10:25:29

Ha. Trying it on. If the flat didn't come with a washing machine then he wasn't obliged to replace the one that was there (check the contract) but if it did and you have paid for the replacement, you have done his job for him. Either way, you own the new one outright.

GreenTureen Fri 30-Dec-16 10:36:11

after a decade the carpets are expected to be knackered

I disagree - depending on what you mean by 'knackered'.

We've had the same cream carpet down upstairs since we moved in - 12 years ago. It was excellent quality and expensive tbf, and it's obviously not new looking anymore - but we have no plans to change it in the next year as it's still in more than decent condition as we've looked after it.

It depends on whether knackered means generally a bit worn looking or full of stains and rips - but if the latter, and I was the LL, i'd be looking to deduct something.

Chattymummyhere Fri 30-Dec-16 10:41:30

If the LL left in it as an ok but it will be yours I will not be fixing or replacing it, then it's yours he can not ask that you leave one behind.

However if he added it to the inventory and you didn't make him aware that it broke and just replaced it then the landlord is correct to say that a washing machine should still be there. If that is the case pick up a cheapy off fb for £25 quid and jobs done.

sorryIam Fri 30-Dec-16 10:42:15

Check your inventory if original washing machine was on it, should be photo of it too. The landlord should of replaced it. He trying it on I think, I hope you can prove that you bought new one? If so he cant keep it.

Veterinari Fri 30-Dec-16 10:45:58

The LL has no claim to your machine - you bought it. If he wanted a washing machine in the flat, he should have paid for a new one when the old one broke - he either provides a machine (which he pays for, or he has no claim to it)

He can't just keep expecting his tenants to provide him with washing machines!

MatildaTheCat Fri 30-Dec-16 13:37:11

GreenTureen, I'm talking about rental properties specifically. In a private home it is different. Wear and tear is almost inevitably higher in rentals. I think I'm right in saying that the DPS ( who hold most deposits) use a guide of eight years so after ten, even if the carpets were brand new on moving in, there should be no deduction of deposit for worn carpets.

OP, I do think it still depends on whether you consulted the LL about buying a new washing machine as I said above. However, if he insists on it being left so as others suggest and get a free one from gumtree or similar and leave that.

Masketti Fri 30-Dec-16 14:09:39

Yes as others say just get a really old one from somewhere else (tip shop?) & that should be enough.

Cherrysoup Fri 30-Dec-16 14:19:46

I fail to see why you should leave a cheapo washing machine to replace the one you bought? Whether or not a washing machine is on the inventory, the one that was there when you arrived broke. The new one is yours. Hope you've got a receipt just in case the ll tries to be silly.

KathArtic Fri 30-Dec-16 14:20:05

As others have said. If your contract says the property comes with a machine you have to leave one...but it doesnt have to be your new one - any old thing will do.

Keremy Fri 30-Dec-16 14:29:52

I don't have an inventory at all. Just my tenancy agreement.

Randonneur Fri 30-Dec-16 14:34:31

If there's no inventory signed by you then they don't stand a chance of getting anything off your deposit (if your deposit has been protected in a scheme? If you've been there ten years it might be before the scheme came in...)

Keremy Fri 30-Dec-16 14:37:02

The only thing I have signed is when they come to do a property check every so often. I don't know if washer is on that as I don't have a copy.

KimmySchmidtsFakeXmasSmile Fri 30-Dec-16 14:44:01

Deposit scheme has been going since at least 2007...dodgy as fuck there is no inventory though. That's standard. He does not stand a cat in hells.
I left my ex tenants a washing machine and cooker, the former sold for a fiver to protect me from having to replace/repair/remove it, the latter on the inventory as part of fixtures even in an unfurnished let. Have replaced it.
So your LL cannot have it both ways:
Either he claims a washer was part of tenancy. He owes you what you paid for the machine and it is left there OR he admits it was left behind as a goodwill gesture and he had no responsibility for it in which case you take it with you.

WeAreEternal Fri 30-Dec-16 14:48:41

I've seen people selling old second hand (working) waging machines on Facebook selling pages for £30-50 in the past.

I'd just buy one like that and leave it.

However, unless the appliances are part of the tenancy agreement or included in the inventory the LL can't claim against your deposit for them.

Did the LL maintain the appliances?
Did you contact him when the washing machine broke?

sorryIam Fri 30-Dec-16 14:54:01

You should have a inventory, please tell me your deposit is secure in a deposit scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now