Talk

Advanced search

To cry while watching and thinking about Planet Earth 2?

(9 Posts)
user1483020900 Fri 30-Dec-16 08:35:24

I and my fiance love nature shows. I'm currently eight months pregnant (twin boys) and I'm certainly more emotional than usual. There were parts in Planet Earth 2 that just made me sob like a baby. There was a female snow leopard with a 2 year old cub (almost an adult, but not quite yet independent). The mother was in heat again, which made things very dangerous for her cub, because adult males usually kill off a mother's offspring so that she's much more receptive to mating with them.There was a bit where two huge males wanted the mother - they harassed her viciously and the mother leopard did everything she could to save her cub from the males. She succeeded. And a month later the cub wasn't with the mother anymore - she had become a fully independent adult. When I watched it it made me cry and sometimes I still do when I think about it.

DonutParade Fri 30-Dec-16 08:56:14

It was beautifully made wasn't it. My youngest got very upset about the cub leaving their mother. I came in with some logical explanation as I cried inside grin

user1483020900 Fri 30-Dec-16 09:00:54

It was absolutely gorgeous. I watch a lot of nature shows and BBC hands down are the masters of them. No one else even comes close. And the Planet Earth series is in a league of its own.

It's so cute how your child got upset after the cub left. One day that will be him/her leaving their mother smile

bluetongue Fri 30-Dec-16 09:24:21

I can't even watch the ads without crying. For me it's the wonderful diversity of earth and how humans are destroying it all that is upsetting

SausageSoda Fri 30-Dec-16 09:27:46

The bit with the baby iguanas and the snakes destroyed me. Also the baby turtles (?) hatching on the beach and going the wrong way as they were confused by the city lights. Any bit with defenceless babies basically. My DD1 is 5 months old so that probably explains why I've become more upset about things like that!

AngelicaSchuyler Fri 30-Dec-16 09:31:14

Sausage I wept at the baby turtles and made DH turn it over - however I saw a news story about it the next day; apparently the production team put every single one of them back in the sea (even the ones who got into the road) and were working with a local conservation group to protect them grin

SausageSoda Fri 30-Dec-16 09:35:55

That's good news but ... some got splattered on the road by cars and they just filmed it! Am still traumatised grin Poor camera man is probably having counselling.

user1483020900 Fri 30-Dec-16 09:49:31

SausageSoda

The bit with the baby turtles killed me.

Soubriquet Fri 30-Dec-16 09:52:58

Gotta say, since having children, I'm much more soft.

I went to Kenya in my teen years on a safari and saw a cheetah take down a deer. Out of nowhere 5 very healthy Cubs appeared and they all ate the deer and had a cleaning session.

We was close enough in the van for me to take some fantastic photos.

My nan was really squeamish about it all but I was fascinated. Circle of life and all that. She was a mum and needed to feed her babies.

Now if I saw it, I would still admire the mum for raising all those Cubs but I would be a bit sad for the deer too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now