Talk

Advanced search

abiu to ask for london tube help

(22 Posts)
user1483055696 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:00:02

Hi all smile First trip to London ever on Monday and a bit nervous about the logistics of the tube. We will be arriving at London Euston and travelling to stay at the Premier inn Bank EC3R 8EE . Is it a a case of just taking the tube from Euston to Monument (looks like the closest station) or is it more complicated. Not sure if it was direct i'm a complete novice sorry, thanks in advance x

Hellmouth Fri 30-Dec-16 00:01:02

Have you got a smartphone? The tube map app is invaluable

user1483055696 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:02:28

yes i have I will look for the app now thanks smile

lastqueenofscotland Fri 30-Dec-16 00:03:20

It's the northern line the whole way so fairly straightforward.

Have an Oyster card or a contactless card.

Londoners aren't as rude as all the MNers who don't live in London would have you believe, we will help you if you are lost! And both Euston and monument/bank (those two stations are linked) will be well staffed

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Fri 30-Dec-16 00:03:26

Bank is your station! Monument is not on the northern line but it's connected to bank, which is :D

PaperdollCartoon Fri 30-Dec-16 00:04:18

100% get the tube app, and also download City Mapper which will literally tell you how to get from one play to the other including walking etc.
Remember the tube map is slightly stylised, you can't stick it on top of a map of London and it'll match up. Many stations are closer or further apart than they appear.

Gingernaut Fri 30-Dec-16 00:04:52

Monument is a Circle Line and District Line station.

The closest Northern Line station would be Bank.

It's about 15 to 20 minutes walk from Bank to the Premier Inn.

SwearyInn Fri 30-Dec-16 00:04:58

If you want to get to monument, you'll have to walk from Euston station to Euston Square and get the Circle line (yellow). Alternatively you could get the northern line bank branch (black) from Euston station itself to Bank and walk to your hotel from bank (slightly longer walk than monument but not that far).

bloodyteenagers Fri 30-Dec-16 00:05:08

Download Citymapper app.
It gives you multiple routes, including fastest, cheapest and driest. Also costs, times and optimum place to stand on the platform.
It also gives you the walking route to your destination once off public transport and on the streets.

Redactio Fri 30-Dec-16 00:06:27

If you mean the Premier Inn London Bank, then Monument tube station is the one for you. Then use google maps to find out the easiest route to walk.

dogdaydisaster Fri 30-Dec-16 00:06:31

When you come out at Euston just follow signs for the underground. Then look for the northern line. It's a really easy trip. If you're getting in during the day you'll be fine. If you're arriving during rush hour I'd find a coffee shop in the station and avoid the underground til after 9.30, as it's packed during rush hour and a pain with luggage. Have fun!

dovesong Fri 30-Dec-16 00:07:39

Yep, go down to bank/monument smile and download uber just in case you get lost and panicky.

user1483055696 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:08:34

you lot are amazing thanks so much, it seems so daunting I feel like a bit of a div ;) x

SwearyInn Fri 30-Dec-16 00:09:27

It's not hard, you don't need apps. Just have a look at the tube map (which will match advice I've given above) and decide if you're happy to walk from Bank or if you'd prefer to go to Minument. Just remember that if you're getting Northern Line to bank, you must get the Bank Branch.

It really isn't hard and you really don't need to worry.

bloodyteenagers Fri 30-Dec-16 00:09:56

Although if you want to see sosmething get the bus. Get the 4 then change at St. Paul's for the 15. The buses all have the talking thing so you know where to get off.

SmilingButClueless Fri 30-Dec-16 00:10:43

If you get the Northern line, you need to get off at Bank as pp have said. Bank and Monument are joined, and it can get a bit confusing, but when you get off the Tube the exit for Monument is normally signposted. Station staff are generally helpful if you're really lost.

Pardalis Fri 30-Dec-16 00:13:41

Do not trust city mapper! It can direct you to places unrelated to the ones you want.

Tube map and google maps much better.

And yes, us Londoners are very helpful. Just ask

Shamoo Fri 30-Dec-16 00:16:15

Just to be clear, Bank and Monument are connected by foot underground - so if you get the Northern line (Southbound, Bank Branch) from Euston, you can get off at Bank and then walk to the Monument exit underground and come out at the same place as if you had got the tube to Monument. I think this is the easiest route.

The Northern line is the black line and has two branches, both of which run through Euston, so do make sure you get the "Bank" branch. It is clearly signposted when you go to the underground at Euston so you won't have a problem finding it.

Also, you can use Contactless bank cards to use the tube and it costs the same as Oyster card (and cheaper than a paper ticket) - super easy, as you don't have to queue at any ticket machines/kiosks.

olderthanyouthink Fri 30-Dec-16 00:20:00

Two words: Google Maps

If you look lost there are people that will help you out.

witwootoodleoo Fri 30-Dec-16 00:20:45

I'd get the Bank branch of the Northern Line to Bank and then come out of exit 6 (they are signposted) and it's less than 10 mins from there. Google Maps is your simplest option once at street level

user1483055696 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:21:20

thanks everyone sooo helpful seems clear now, ahh Shamoo I see what is meant by the stations being connected now. Cant wait to explore your fab city x

malmi Fri 30-Dec-16 17:02:12

Another vote for contactless debit/credit card payment - ignore the ticket machines and just tap your card on the yellow circle on the ticket gate to get in and out. (Don't forget to tap out, even if the exit gates have been left open) (But you don't tap out on buses).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now