Talk

Advanced search

To ask how on earth you all organise your kids endless supply of bricks?

(12 Posts)
cocopopsrock Thu 29-Dec-16 19:51:37

Help!
My kids have got about 30,000,000 lego, duplo bricks, mega blocks, peppy pig play mobile and damn shopkins for Christmas.
They stayed organised for about an hour, now there are parts all over the place.

Any tips / storage systems you would recommend? I don't want them to all end up in the toy graveyard!
Tia!

1980sChick Thu 29-Dec-16 19:53:27

I bought mine the lego brick storage pieces a while ago, they sell them in costco relatively cheaper or have also seen them in home sense/tk maxx.

Makes nice storage in his room too and saves me swearing while standing on bricks!

Boundaries Thu 29-Dec-16 19:55:18

The floor.

It's organised all over the floor.

<wail>

cocopopsrock Thu 29-Dec-16 19:56:35

Thanks chick.
Boundaries lol lol lol... I feel your pain

MrGrumpy01 Thu 29-Dec-16 19:56:53

Sets are kept in boxes.

Duplo bricks were just kept in a plastic storage box.

Lego is in really useful boxes. The special bricks are in a large box with compartments for different types. Normal bricks in a separate box together. I sort by type but some people sort by color. The IKEA storage is popular I think (is it the trofast with the drawers?)

Hassled Thu 29-Dec-16 19:59:46

Now I saw the perfect thing on someone's thread about an oversized neighbour's parcel and a cute cat. Buggered if I can find it now. If you saw that thread, the contents of the parcel was the perfect brick storage solution. And it was on wheels.

Hassled Thu 29-Dec-16 20:01:31

This is it. Advanced Search was my friend.

Pumble Thu 29-Dec-16 20:01:43

I have gone for zip lock bags for each Lego set with the instructions in (and any spare pieces when its actually constructed) and then it all goes into various Lego storage bricks or plastic tubs. How long this will last is anybody's guess though!!!

PizzaPlease Thu 29-Dec-16 20:02:36

How about this?

Or the storage towers currently in aldi!

avengers2016 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:05:06

I gave up with trying to keep sets together. Total nightmare as ds likes to create cross breed sets! I do keep all the instructions though.

We have the trofast table from ikea. There's 6 plastic drawers for all the lego. It's ideal for kids standing at to build and we stuck 2 base plates to the top so he always has some construction on the go. It's great.

cocopopsrock Thu 29-Dec-16 22:30:09

Thanks everyone! I shall get on with the task of organising x

WaccaWacca Fri 30-Dec-16 09:21:18

Like MrGrumpy, we use Really Useful Boxes, as follows...

1 for minifigures.

1 little one for all the teeny tiny bits like dots, singles and accessories (hats, tools etc). Basically, those bits you constantly find embedded in the carpet.

1 medium one for bigger, interesting bits like doors, wings, satellites, base plates etc

1 large for all other regular pieces. Colours mixed up as DS isn't worried about that.

Took an absolute age to sort but it makes it easier to find the bits he wants, otherwise the tiny bits sink to the bottom of the box never to be seen again - cue screams of "muuuuuuum, I can find the tiny, blue light."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now