Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be upset by "mature face" comments

(44 Posts)
Pandora88 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:43:28

Am I being a complete idiot to feel upset over a couple comments from acquaintances on our newborn having a "mature face"? We've also been told he appears very "alert" by health professionals because I guess he does look like he's studying everyone and everything around him at all times.

In my head, "mature face" comment means a weird looking child? I think he is absolutely adorable and cute with big eyes (we get the "big eyes" comment from everyone - isn't that a very baby-like feature?) Our little bubba is only a week old.

nicenewone1 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:45:42

Well I think it's a compliment, congratulations on your boy xx

NoelHeadbands Thu 29-Dec-16 18:46:56

I would take it to mean non-squished, and alert, and just well, lovely

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 29-Dec-16 18:47:59

DS had a 'mature' face. The night he was born he was awake all night looking about with a hmm expression on his face.

He also had a wrinkled little forehead.

Babies are kind of funny looking when you first get them.

MrsGB2015 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:48:24

My son never really had a baby face even when he was a baby. It's not a bad thing so don't worry

Olympiathequeen Thu 29-Dec-16 18:48:55

Probably does mean he's not cute but 'weekers' as opposed to 'monthers' tend not to be cute but look like wizened old men.

In a few weeks he will fill out and you will get all the cute comments.

Whatsername17 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:51:28

I think people just think they need to say something. It is meant as a compliment. Your reaction is hormonal because your protective instinct is kicking in. Mil told me dd looked nothing like me and I disinctly remember wanting to stab her. She says the same now (dd is 5) and I laugh at her because dd is my double.

MollyHuaCha Thu 29-Dec-16 18:52:19

I think it's meant nicely. Some babies are red, blotchy, wrinkly, crying, dribbly, sicky, eyes closed, sleeping all the time. Others have smoother skin of a good tone, eyes open with what appears to be intelligent curiosity, content, focussing on people and things around them. Enjoy your little one! smile

Fiona2609 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:52:21

Nooo, those are compliments. Some babies are just more alert. My niece was. On being shown a photo of her, a former county chief medical officer said: "you can tell babies that are university material". Sure enough, the lady in question has a very good degree in psychology and now works as an SEN teacher.
The midwife, who attended my "arrival" said that I looked as if I had "been here before".
Congratulations!

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:59:11

I think people just tend to say silly things when they see a newborn baby, it's as though they want to come up with something different other than he's gorgeous, beautiful etc. Some newborns features seem more developed than others, especially babies with dark eyebrows and eyelashes. I remember thinking mine were breathtakingly beautiful, but when I look back at photographs both of them are pink, wrinkly, full of blemishes with veins sticking out of their head.Im sure he is perfect, just keep nodding at the silly comments.

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 19:00:11

Babies are kind of funny looking when you first get them.

Look what Mary got

Virgin and Child

pieceofpurplesky Thu 29-Dec-16 19:02:09

Firstly congratulations.
I think that some boys are born with 'man' faces - you know exactly what they will look like when they are 30. They also look the same at 60!

DearyDearyDeary Thu 29-Dec-16 19:07:33

Both ours looked about 60 when they were born. They got their baby faces a few weeks in, so wouldn't worry.smile

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 29-Dec-16 19:11:43

Look what Mary got

Virgin and Child

To be fair, Mary was no pageant queen in that painting either.

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 19:18:14

Mary was no pageant queen in that painting either

VeryBitchyRestingFace fgrin

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 21:11:37

congratulations on your boy

Pandora88, I wish you and your family a Happy 2017.

mum2Bomg Thu 29-Dec-16 21:14:09

My DD is now 3 and a half weeks old and her face has really poofed out as she's putting on weight - was your baby under weight?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 29-Dec-16 21:15:27

Mature means wise, he had that ' oh fuck off you lot' gaze which means he's a clever little bugger grin.

haveacupoftea Thu 29-Dec-16 21:21:10

lovelearning grin that really is a mature baby!

I shouldn't worry OP, people make up any old crap when they see a baby, e.g. 'she's so alert', as opposed to what, your baby is a breathing vegetable confused

museumum Thu 29-Dec-16 21:21:16

My ds came out with his eyes open! Really quite freaky.
But most newborns are all kitten eyes and squished looking.
I'm sure everyone means it kindly and it's just an observation.

RobinSnood Thu 29-Dec-16 21:22:32

Christ - I thought someone had told you you looked wrinkly!

Babies look weird. Tis a fact. Cangratulations on yours.

RobinSnood Thu 29-Dec-16 21:22:54

*congratulations

MatildaTheCat Thu 29-Dec-16 21:27:08

My SIL called my PFB a 'very ugly baby'.

Hope that makes you feel better!? I'm sure your baby is beautiful and some people just feel they have to make a comment. Enjoy and ignore.

Congratulations.

lorelairoryemily Thu 29-Dec-16 21:50:05

People just have to say something!! My ds is 9 months and is on the 98th centile for length and 91st for weight and all we hear is "that's a fine big boy" " big lad isn't he?" Etc. I wouldn't pay any attention to it, congratulations, enjoy your lovely boy

mickeyjohn Thu 29-Dec-16 22:01:48

My daughter was called 'alert' by all the midwives, docs, health visitors etc - they all commented on it, like she was a bit freaky. She is now 10, & very smart, very perceptive & very switched on. I'd take it as a big compliment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now