Talk

Advanced search

To be sick of my lazy children?

(38 Posts)
lilybetsy Thu 29-Dec-16 15:35:43

I am a single parent who works FT in a demanding job. I have three sons, 18, 14 and 11. I have just popped home for 5 mins between things at work. They have done NOTHING today, the dogs have not been our, the kitchen floor is filthy with mud. The dishwasher has not been emptied, let alone refilled, son #2 is sitting there with filthy DMs on - hence the fucking mud. I have just SCREAMED at them and now I feel like sobbing - I can't cope and i need a tiny bit if help, but they do nothing.

Help... WWYD?

Lilyloo456 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:39:53

I was in the same position as you. Got really fed up with it so I wrote out a rota shared between the two of them ( my son is 18 and daughter is 13) jobs to do during the week. To be done by 5pm. It's working so far

derektheladyhamster Thu 29-Dec-16 15:41:11

I would make a list. And I would remind them what time I was going to be home (and probably text them as I was leaving work!)
Are they rushing around doing their jobs now - I hope so

CaptainMarvelDanvers Thu 29-Dec-16 15:41:26

Do you have a rota?

GeorgeTheThird Thu 29-Dec-16 15:42:55

Don't cry.

Turn off the wifi, put the cable up your jumper and tell them you will plug it all back in when the chores are done and one of them has cooked dinner. Capitalise on the shock that your shouting has (hopefully?) created.

BIgBagofJelly Thu 29-Dec-16 15:43:02

Definitely a rota, As a teenager I didn't have the common sense/initiative to do anything unless it was specifically my job.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 29-Dec-16 15:43:12

Each night change the wi-fi password. Don't release the wi-fi password untill photo evidence of completed jobs has been sent to you at work.

GeorgeTheThird Thu 29-Dec-16 15:43:42

Oh hang on, you're going back to work? Take the router cable with you!

FannyCradock Thu 29-Dec-16 15:45:46

Rota is the way to go. Router removed until tasks completed.

girlelephant Thu 29-Dec-16 15:49:20

Bless you that's so selfish of them all!

Definitely implement a rota for the three of them. Either delegate tasks or ask the three of them to agree by NYE which tasks on a list they are each responsible for. Either way tonne implemented by NYs day.

Sending you winebrewcakeflowers

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 29-Dec-16 15:51:26

Have they had designated jobs and been taught to do them?

Isetan Thu 29-Dec-16 15:52:28

I doubt very much that they have suddenly morphed into lazy f**kers, so what have you done in the past to enable their laziness?

Give them jobs in exchange for pocket money, phone subscriptions etc. Have a chat with them and make it very clear that the four of you are a team and you aren't their skivvy. Be prepared for them to push back but you must stand your ground or you could risk this lot never leaving home.

The 18 year old needs to be paying his keep in addition to doing his chores.

formerbabe Thu 29-Dec-16 15:54:23

Another vote for turning off the wi fi.

The get a list of chores...once completed, wi fi is turned back on.

StoneRosesSallyCinnamon Thu 29-Dec-16 16:00:01

Each night change the wi-fi password. Don't release the wi-fi password untill photo evidence of completed jobs has been sent to you at work

THIS IS GENIUS
OP stick a boot straight up their arses. They are taking the piss, girl.

Its hard, but you can do it

Lilyloo456 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:04:28

Ah yes forgot to mention I Often take the router to work with me and they only get it back if they've done their jobs 😆

Poole5 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:12:23

Why have you enabled them to behave like this?

At 12 I had various jobs I had to do because my mum worked FT. Washing up, all the laundry and ironing, emptying the bins, food prep, hoovering, mopping the floors. I wouldn't have dreamed of lazing around when my mum worked 6 days a week.

BakeOffBiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 16:19:41

I agree with making a list of all jobs which MUST be done every single day.

Stick in on a kitchen cupboard/fridge and if they don't do the jobs no wifi/money/trips out etc.

Lorelei76 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:20:36

What are their usual jobs? Laundry, hoovering, washing up were just regular tasks by the time I was 13.

If they aren't doing them then don't cook for them or do their laundry, or give them money. But if you've never given them tasks before you will need to do a family meeting first.

Nataleejah Thu 29-Dec-16 16:23:15

Have a clear list of tasks. Kids often don't notice that things need tidying up unless you point a finger

Ilovecaindingle Thu 29-Dec-16 16:24:58

May I suggest an early night all round? I sent my kids to bed EARLY last night with a lecture on being bratty and ungrateful when it was sheer tiredness and over Xmas excitement!
4 transformed kids today!!

Nataleejah Thu 29-Dec-16 16:27:14

Don't imagine how would impose an early bedtime on an 18

Ilovecaindingle Thu 29-Dec-16 16:33:46

Induced power cut at 10pm????

expatinscotland Thu 29-Dec-16 16:34:09

List of jobs. No Wifi till they crack on with it.

cosytoaster Thu 29-Dec-16 16:36:43

Mine have been as bad this Xmas - going to take on board some of these suggestions!

SmellySphinx Thu 29-Dec-16 16:38:11

Oh definitely a "Get this fucking mess tidied and shift your lazy arse or I WILL NOT be happy when I get back angry "

Take the Router, the tv cable and all games console plugs and wires.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now