Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed that ds' school is closing at 1.30 today?

(65 Posts)
jampot Tue 20-Feb-07 13:13:33

because one of the teachers has died
and the staff wantg to go to her funeral

we found out yesterday

jampot Tue 20-Feb-07 13:15:28

actually i think im more pissed that they had a ridiculous snow day before half term and dd has had 2 in service days bolted onto that as well

tissy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:16:17

Yes.

(But I would expect that the school would try and arrange somekind of supervision for kids whose parents would struggle to pick them up).

So, maybe, no, but understand why they's all want to go to the funeral.

(Sitting on fence emoticon!)

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 13:16:23

errr
no idea really

I guess it is a mark of respect to the teacher but it does seem a bit odd to close the school early esp given how much fuss they make about kids taking days off

TinyGang Tue 20-Feb-07 13:17:03

Well, I think I would understand really, but they could've given a couple more days notice, I guess.

WigWamBam Tue 20-Feb-07 13:17:57

I think it's reasonable that the teachers should go to her funeral. I also think it's reasonable to close the school for it.

I was mightily pissed off by the two days that they were closed for snow before half term though so can understand your annoyance about that one ...

CountessDracula Tue 20-Feb-07 13:17:58

I suppose they can't very well say to the family oh you must have the funeral after 3.30
You would think that the family might do that though given she was a teacher

harpsichordcarrier Tue 20-Feb-07 13:19:51

gosh, tricky one.
I think you aren't being unreasonable - I would have expected more notice tbh and an alternative for those who couldn't pick their children up.

LIZS Tue 20-Feb-07 13:21:14

Presumably it happened at half term so they couldn't notify everyone further in advance. Very sad and awkward for anyone working though but at least it is only the afternoon .

Hulababy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:21:55

I think it is just one of those things you have to put up with. It is oretty extreme circumstances. It is perfectly reasonable that the teachers want to attend the funeral of their colleague and friend - wouldn't you want to? And some of the children are probably grieving too for their teacher.

The other days - well inservice are different; they are not extra days off. Inset days used to be held within the holidays, now tsome are taken out of the holidays and held at other times, although many shcools still bolt them onto the end ofholidays as it is easier for parents to deal with generally. They are not extra though - always been there.

The snow days - must be very frustrating. Again though, I guess there were good reasons for closing the schools.

danceswithnewboots Tue 20-Feb-07 13:22:25

Yes, totally. Have a heart FFS

Hulababy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:23:26

Short notice I presume is simply because it was half temr last week. Other than phoning up every parent during half term to inform them I can't see how they could do anything else.

I actually think it is very good of the school to allow their staff, and presumably some pupils too, this time off to say goodbye to their friend/collaegue/teacher - too many wouldn't.

littlemissbossy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:23:47

Dying? and not letting you know? how inconvenient!

Bugsy2 Tue 20-Feb-07 13:28:54

jampot, are you winding us up here? I appreciate it is inconvenient suddenly being told that the school will be closed - but this has got to be one of the most valid & understandable reasons possible.

rey Tue 20-Feb-07 13:29:56

It is short notice but then again when someone has died....

chopchopbusybusy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:37:41

If the school was closed last week for half term - and the teacher presumably died last week - you've been told as soon as possible and I hope we would be more upset about employers not allowing time off for a colleagues funeral.

oliveoil Tue 20-Feb-07 13:39:40

very unreasonable imo

it is a funeral not a jolly day out

Gobbledigook Tue 20-Feb-07 13:40:16

Are the children allowed time off to go the funeral of a 'friend' as a general rule, or does it have to be a close relative? I'm just wondering.

I know when I was at work, you could have time off it was parents or grandparents, close family, other than that, you were struggling.

So, just wondering really.

gigglinggoblin Tue 20-Feb-07 13:42:38

i would be more surprised if it wasnt tbh

princessmel Tue 20-Feb-07 13:43:01

I think that seems a pretty good reason for the staff needing time off.

So yes, I think you are being unreasonable.

Its not ideal for people who have to sort out other childcare/work arrangements but someone died. It wasn't planned.

donnie Tue 20-Feb-07 13:45:04

utterly unreasonable and selfish IMO.

The teacher has DIED ffs. Have you heard yourself?

kslatts Tue 20-Feb-07 13:46:35

I think you are being unreasonable. I work in HR and if an employee needed time off for a funderal it would never be refused so why should it be different for teachers.

Gobbledigook Tue 20-Feb-07 13:47:33

They could have time for a friend or colleague, rather than just family? I thought a lot of places were stricter than that.

I'm interested to know what the kids are allowed time off for, funeral wise.

Ladymuck Tue 20-Feb-07 13:52:02

GDG, if a friend of the child has died, and the parents felt it appropriate that the child should go, I can't see that the school would object to be honest, as often a number of children will be similarly affected. When this happened ime, as the deceased was a child at the school, the school would hold a memorial service the same day (typically prior to the proper funeral).

Hulababy Tue 20-Feb-07 13:56:28

I have never known a school to stop a child taking time off for any funeral. We had a child die from the school (2 actually whilst I was teaching there) and any child who wished to attend were able to go even though it was in school time. Staff were able to go too - cover was brought in for it and classes were doubled up, etc.

At my current work they are as open as possible to people going to funerals regardless of relationship. They always try to accomodate it so a holiday doesn't have to be used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now