Talk

Advanced search

To call it an omelette if it is not folded?

(42 Posts)
ragz134 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:35:15

Facebook argument with MIL... DH has a bit of a thing for omelettes, he even made a Christmas one with bubble and squeak and gravy in it!
Anyway, we don't fold our omelettes, we finish them under the grill and serve whole and flat, if you see what I mean. MIL claims it is only an omelette if folded and otherwise must be a frittata or something else 'foreign'. Others are now joining in on both sides, but was hoping for a greater sample size to settle the argument.

HardLightHologram Thu 29-Dec-16 11:36:31

I would say it's a frittata if not folded over, or with anything more adventurous than bacon, tomato, onion or cheese.

Boundaries Thu 29-Dec-16 11:37:18

There you go:

dowhatnow Thu 29-Dec-16 11:39:57

I say omelette if it has basic cheese, ham onions and tomatoes in it.
Fritatta to me would have potato in it and other more substantial ingredients.

lilyb84 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:40:28

Omelettes have only ever been flat in my life! They fold accidentally when I serve them up occasionally. I'very seen friends fold them on purpose. A fritatta would have different ingredients surely?

lilyb84 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:40:47

*I've seen

You'd never fold an Omlette Arnold Bennett

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jun/04/how-to-cook-perfect-omelette-arnold-bennett-recipe

ChuckSnowballs Thu 29-Dec-16 11:42:04

I only fold them to get other things on the plate.

And fritatta has potato in it. End of.

iklboodolphRedNoseReindeer Thu 29-Dec-16 11:42:11

Apparently serving it folded is the French (foreign) way wink

Ineedmorelemonpledge Thu 29-Dec-16 11:45:35

I would say if you were British or English speaking you'd call it an Omelette. And this could cover anything you threw in it.

If you were Italian or an Italian was making the dish it would be a Frittata. Frittata just being the Italian term for frying eggs and stuff in a pan.

And if you were Spanish it would be tortilla.

ragz134 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:45:50

www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-frittata-and-an-omelet-word-of-mouth-216451 I have just found this, which does give a descriptive definition. Not sure I agree though! But maybe we have been making frittatas all along...

ragz134 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:47:16

Ineedmorelemonpledge - yes I had assumed it was really just different words for the same thing.
I do prefer them not folded though. So that must be the right way...

mirokarikovo Thu 29-Dec-16 11:48:07

Omelettes were always flat and open when I was growing up. I didn't know that folding them was a thing until I left home. Yanbu. If it is made with whisked eggs and is stiff rather than stirable (which would obviously be scrambled eggs) then it is an omlette

Revenant Thu 29-Dec-16 11:49:41

Fritatta is flat and finished under the grill. Tortilla is baked in oven. Omelette is cooked in pan and folded.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Thu 29-Dec-16 11:51:57

Nope, you shouldn't cook a frittata in the oven.

Bluntness100 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:52:22

The folding is irrelevant, it's an omelette however it's served....

Juanbablo Thu 29-Dec-16 11:53:29

I always fold my omelettes but that's because I put cheese on and fold and flip it. I never knew people didn't fold omelettes!

dowhatnow Thu 29-Dec-16 11:57:58

I like crispy cheese rather than melted cheese so would put cheese on top, flip over and fry. Folding over would mean it wasnt crispy cheese.

The other non negotiable rule is that it needs to be eaten with brown sauce,

DodoRevival Thu 29-Dec-16 11:59:59

It's an omelette either way - folded or flat. My well worn cook book has spoken.

I don't like flat, never had a folded one prior to trying it myself last year. Prefer the ingredients not to be mixed in with the eggs!!

DodoRevival Thu 29-Dec-16 12:02:51

Plus according to the next page tortillas are thicker and you'd eat them cold, as you would a frittata (which are like tortillas just not as thick)

ragz134 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:24:19

Dowhatnow- never mind what we call it, I now want crispy cheese! Never thought of turning it over with the cheese on...

Willyoujustbequiet Thu 29-Dec-16 13:05:42

Of course its an omelette. Its what its made of that makes it such. You mil is an idiot. Tell her i said so wink

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Dec-16 13:15:02

I think if it's folded, it's a French omelette.

mysistersimone Thu 29-Dec-16 13:27:52

I have always folded them, hence them having a filling, if flat its a topping. Plus if folded they look good on the plate for salad or chips (and now I am hungry)

Lateralthinker2016 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:11:02

I serve mine scrambled grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now