Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to wonder why my medical records state I'm pregnant?

(38 Posts)
KateSpade Thu 29-Dec-16 07:37:14

I went for a routine smear where I had to confirm my details.

The notes said I was pregnant & the nurse asked if that was correct.

Is that routine for smear tests?

allegretto Thu 29-Dec-16 07:38:14

Are you pregnant?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 29-Dec-16 07:39:08

Mixed up your notes?

Letmesleepalready Thu 29-Dec-16 07:40:25

I remember I couldn't have a smear test when I was pregnant and (I think) for 3 months post partum. Not sure why your notes would say you were pregnant if you aren't or haven't been recently.

Eebahgum Thu 29-Dec-16 07:40:51

If you are pregnant you shouldn't be having a smear so yes it should be on your medical notes. If you're not pregnant it's an error which I assume is why she asked if it's correct.

BreadAndChipsPlease Thu 29-Dec-16 07:40:59

If you've ever been pregnant it's probably just an old code that was left on by accident.

If you've never been pregnant then it's a record mix up

tsonlyme Thu 29-Dec-16 07:41:12

It would be routine to ask if that's what the notes say.

If you've had a baby fairly recently it could be that when the pregnancy code was added it wasn't then put into your past 'problems' list once you had given birth. This is often the task of admin staff not doctors so if they had someone inexperienced doing the job it could easily be missed. Call your surgery and ask to speak to someone in admin to check that it's been moved to prevent any further misunderstandings.

Ankleswingers Thu 29-Dec-16 07:41:41

Did you not question further?

I would have done if it was me.

HunterHearstHelmsley Thu 29-Dec-16 07:43:13

My medical records state I've had a broken foot.... I've never broken any feet!

That's a record mix up so perhaps yours is too.

KateSpade Thu 29-Dec-16 07:45:03

I'm not pregnant as far as I'm Aware,

I did question it with the nurse & she just asked me to confirm if it was correct,

ninenicknames Thu 29-Dec-16 07:45:56

Yes because a smear can cause a miscarriage but only a very very small percentage.

steff13 Thu 29-Dec-16 07:47:07

Did she say, "are you pregnant?" or, "it says youer pregnant, is that correct?"

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 29-Dec-16 07:48:45

So what did you say?! Surely you asked her why she thought it in the first place?! confused

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 08:02:55

Did you not question further?

I would have done if it was me.

Me too.

elodie2000 Thu 29-Dec-16 08:02:59

Eh? You were with the nurse who was doing your smear test, your notes said you were pregnant, she asked if you were, you said no...
Is that it?
Unless there is a chance you are pregnant then the notes are obviously a mistake.
If you think you might be pregnant, she would have had a drawer full of pregnancy tests so did she test you?

shinynewusername Thu 29-Dec-16 08:04:42

a smear can cause a miscarriage

Good grief - no! The reason is that the cells from the cervix look different in pregnancy, so the smear is difficult to interpret.

SparklyMagpie Thu 29-Dec-16 08:23:35

Yes I'm also confused confused

Did the nurse ask you if you are pregnant or was this actually on your notes?

NormaSmuff Thu 29-Dec-16 08:29:26

agree probably just a mix up with the coding and it has been left there unintentionally
have you been pregnant

Evergreen17 Thu 29-Dec-16 08:34:14

My medical record said I had some sort of allergy which is not true. They mixed it up with someone else's
A bit scary really

NormaSmuff Thu 29-Dec-16 08:36:48

i think my notes said i was pregnant approx 15 years after the event. and in the hospital there is a code on the computer which shows pregnancy, which isnt always cleared after the pregnancy is over.

SoupDragon Thu 29-Dec-16 08:37:58

Isn't it more effective to question this with the surgery? Assuming she said you are pregnant rather than asking whether you might be.

SparklyMagpie Thu 29-Dec-16 08:53:12

If it's on your notes, have you possibly had any urine or blood samples taken recently? Just trying to figure out why that would be on your notes and it possibly not a mix up? If any of that makes sense?

Not had my morning coffee yet grin

CalorieCreditEqualsCake Thu 29-Dec-16 08:56:49

Apparently I have a neurological condition and need an operation for it.

I don't. But someone with the same name and very similar NHS number does!!

I have a VERY common first and surname. Think Sarah Smith but still!

Took me ages to convince the trust that it definitely wasn't me. I was concerned that the Other Me was suffering longer because of the mistake.

Anyway, my point is. It's probably human error.

Unless of course you had a blood test recently in which case I'd be peeing on a stick sharpish.

KateSpade Thu 29-Dec-16 09:01:31

i just wondered if it was common practice, as I've only ever had two smears & couldn't remember last time.

Thanks for the advice, makes me slightly less worried ATM.

Laniakea Thu 29-Dec-16 09:06:18

Yes because a smear can cause a miscarriage but only a very very small percentage

NO it can't. In fact in some places a smear is a standard part of early pregnancy care. Pregnancy can cause cervical cell changes which can be misinterpreted so we don't do it in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now