Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed re cleaning?

(9 Posts)
notfailedyet Thu 29-Dec-16 02:19:28

Have a cleaning rota in my shared house but the last two times (there are four of us), the people did their bit but not big jobs (mopping/hovering/wiping surfaces)... Only two of us have done them during our turns and the house will inevitably just get grimier (it is a nice place) with it all riding on the two of us who actually care.

I want to get a cleaner but doubt everyone will agree.

Suggestions? smile

DementedUnicorn Thu 29-Dec-16 02:25:08

Is it rank during their turn and their standards are too low? Or are your standards higher than average?

notfailedyet Thu 29-Dec-16 02:29:24

My standards are high I guess but I certainly don't ram it down their throats... Personally I don't like clutter in communal areas and like food areas clean but I never nag about this - prefer instead to just do it myself but this gets wearing!!

It just annoys me that they don't do their bit? They know the house needs to be properly cleaned every so often to remain nice (and are happy when it does get cleaned and thank me!) but never do it when it's their turn - just wait for my and other housemate's turns to roll around...

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 29-Dec-16 03:54:33

How often are the 'turns'?

notfailedyet Thu 29-Dec-16 11:31:04

Once a week - so four people once a week, technically it should be a month before we have to do anything again. The general idea is that we clean up after ourselves in the kitchen and bathroom, but the person whose turn it is does the main jobs each week: emptying bins, washing down surfaces, mopping and hoovering. Which I think is fair - and they all agreed with too!

AmberEars Thu 29-Dec-16 11:34:13

I think that if your standards are high you will have to accept this to some extent, and either do it yourself or live with the mess. I do realise it's unfair and annoying, but it's very very hard to get a messy person to change their ways!

RandomMess Thu 29-Dec-16 11:35:27

Why don't you all have a job to do every week? It can rotate still but makes it easier to pull someone up if they never do their allocated task?

ChuckSnowballs Thu 29-Dec-16 11:39:58

House meeting and rethink this rota. One task each every week. Rather than all 4 for one person each month.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 29-Dec-16 15:49:06

Your standards aren't high. Hoovering once a week is pretty standard with no pets and no kids.

House meeting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now