Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not wake the baby for antibiotics?

(46 Posts)
pestov Wed 28-Dec-16 23:07:29

DD is 10 months old and has been prescribed penicillin for a chest infection, dosed 3 times per day to be given at regular intervals. DH seems to think this means strictly 8 hourly, and we should wake her on the middle of the night. I think you have one on waking one at bedtime and one in the middle of the day. DD is not well and needs all the sleep she can get, especially as she's still coughing herself awake. Who's right?

sj257 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:08:44

Sorry I'd say every 8 hours

dementedpixie Wed 28-Dec-16 23:09:27

I've never woken mine for a middle of the night dose. I did what you are suggesting

Mrsemcgregor Wed 28-Dec-16 23:09:48

I am no healthcare professional but I would say as long as she gets it 3 times a day that's all that matters.

I would go 6am 12 and 6pm.

MrsBungle Wed 28-Dec-16 23:09:53

I've always done it your way - morning, afternoon and before bed. I don't see any need to wake the baby unless you were advised to by the doctor.

cx5221 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:07

I give them in the day time personally.
You could give one middle of the night tonight to get all the doses in and check with a pharmacist tomorrow?

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:12

Yes to you - am, middle of day and before bed.

QuandryQueen Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:36

Course you don't need to wake her! Just give at 7am 7pm and half way between roughly.

HomeIsWhereTheGinisNow Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:47

Dosage times are crucial to the efficacy of antibiotics. Resistance can happen when doses are missed. Wake your child.

bonzo77 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:58

DH is a pharmacist. We've never woken them at night for any medication including antibiotics. Give on waking, lunch time and bed time.

Zippidydoodah Wed 28-Dec-16 23:11:35

Definitely morning, lunchtime and bedtime. Do people really wake their kids for antibiotics? Like you say, op, a poorly person needs as much sleep as they can get! Hope she's ok!

KeptOnRaining Wed 28-Dec-16 23:11:55

FGS he's a grown adult?

Three times a day - not day and night.

Waking, final feed/pre sleep time, and the mid point between them.

God help you married to such a numpty.

Starlight2345 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:12:30

I have always done 3 times a day waking, lunch and then when I have gone to bed.. 8 hours apart is the ideal.

IamHappy1976 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:12:52

Dose 1 on waking. dose 2 at lunchtime. Dose 3 at bedtime. And try to sleep yourself!

dalmatianmad Wed 28-Dec-16 23:12:53

Morning, lunch and dinner bed time....
Sleep is so important when you're poorly so I deffo wouldn't wake her....
Hope she feels better soon flowers

donajimena Wed 28-Dec-16 23:13:42

Do you set your alarm for antibiotics if you have been prescribed them?

dementedpixie Wed 28-Dec-16 23:14:05

From an amoxicillin leaflet:

When should I give amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin is usually given three times a day. This should be first thing in the morning, early afternoon and at bedtime. Ideally, these times should be at least 4 hours apart.

Crunchymum Wed 28-Dec-16 23:15:30

Roughly around breakfast, lunch and dinner here (obvs they are usually not eating but you get the idea)

Never in the middle of the night!!!

auntilin Wed 28-Dec-16 23:15:35

sleep is more important
3 doses during the day is the norm.
even on the children's ward we would not wake sleeping children!

clairethewitch70 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:16:47

I trained as a Pharmaceutical Technician, last 1980's, although I don't work as one now. The doses are to be given as prescribed, every 8 hours. I always set a timer and wake myself or my child up.

ThirdTimeLuck Wed 28-Dec-16 23:17:18

I'm on the fence with this one. DC1 used to get the same infection repeatedly, when he had antibiotics I gave them dead on time - middle of the night or not. He used to get really poorly with it and I couldn't take any chances. DS2 is totally different, he had antibiotics and I gave them 3 times a day and let him sleep at night. He got better just as fast, but I know that DS1 would have got worse and ended up in hospital.

It depends how severe the infection is, personally if it's 3 times a day I'd just give it during the day and only wake at night if the doses worked out to cross into bedtime. If it's 4 times a day then I'd wake at night to space them more effectively. Until I did it I'd never heard of people waking children in the night for antibiotics, I don't think it's typical.

PoliticalBiscuit Wed 28-Dec-16 23:19:01

Yes, sleep is important. I'd do it in daytime.

WantToRunAgain Wed 28-Dec-16 23:19:14

HomeIs, the dose isn't being missed it's being given at a sensible time.

Don't wake a poorly baby! Your times are totally sensible OP.

velocitykate Wed 28-Dec-16 23:21:33

I'm a doctor. I would never wake a child for antibiotics and would spread them as far as possible during "waking hours" (unless they were in hospital). If they still regularly wake at night you could organise dosages around that, but otherwise no. Good sleep is probably almost as important as antibiotics when recovering from an infection

catiscomfy Wed 28-Dec-16 23:22:05

Gosh, no! In hospital, med rounds for oral meds, including antibiotics, are 8am, 2pm and 6pm or 10pm for three times a day.

My DM was rigid about this, and I remember her waking me for 4x day antibiotics at 4am. 4am!!! Who wakes a sick child at 4am? Crazy.

Breakfast, lunch and pre bed are fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now