Talk

Advanced search

To want to seek revenge on these scumbags

(41 Posts)
cookieswirls Wed 28-Dec-16 23:00:02

Ive just read an article on a newspaper website about a man who has murdered his 6 mo on Christmas Day. I'm sick of hearing these stories and I don't want to read about it but every day there seems to be a new horror story unfolding! It's so sad to know this is happening everywhere. I obviously am not going to seek revenge on these people but I'm not being unreasonable to want great harm to come to them, surely ?

GilMartin Thu 29-Dec-16 00:19:13

YABU.

It wouldn't right any wrong, it would be to make yourself feel better.

The fact that we don't visit the same treatment to people who have done terrible things is what marks us out as a civilised society.

RhiannonnDontGo Thu 29-Dec-16 01:02:14

Yanbu. At all.

cookieswirls Thu 29-Dec-16 10:10:48

Gil I'm sure it's not just me who it would make feel better

abbsisspartacus Thu 29-Dec-16 10:23:06

Murder is a temporary fix there will always be a reason to do it again and again before you know it your a genocidal maniac

I understand your emotions here but your rage is misplaced save it for the sentencing

cookieswirls Thu 29-Dec-16 10:35:24

Oh no I wouldn't want them dead ! Just a life of complete misery

Bluntness100 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:37:46

These things are shocking and absolutely awful and we need to hope justice prevails and the prison system doles out punishment. To want to seek revenge is kind of strange though, sorry.

fakenamefornow Thu 29-Dec-16 10:39:19

Yes you abu. I'm with GilMartin

And please don't deliberately misread that to mean we should just give the perpetrators a cuddle and let them go.

cookieswirls Thu 29-Dec-16 10:40:34

I completely understand what you are saying. Maybe I'm being a bit extreme but it really gets to me

ClopySow Thu 29-Dec-16 10:43:17

I suspect he'll have a life of misery in prison.

ImpetuousBride Thu 29-Dec-16 10:45:24

No, a punishment by death is giving them an easy way out...Sadly we can't reverse their deeds and sadly, these are usually people with all kinds of mental issues who may never realise the monstrosity of what they'd done.

SnatchedPencil Thu 29-Dec-16 10:58:01

YABU. That's why we have the law, why we have courts, why we have prison! You are basically calling for mob justice. To badly-mangle a quote from The Hateful Eight, "the trouble with mob justice is that it is as often wrong as it is right."

The person should be prosecuted, if found guilty they should be locked up. Many people would agree with the death penalty in serious cases, I personally would be happy to see the return of public hanging. Torture also has its advocates, and plenty of Mumsnetters would be happy to administer this form of punishment.

But torture and hanging are not currently legal. Neither is a baying mob driving people out of their homes because they suspect them to be paediatricians (as happened a few years back). So for the time being, we have to rely on the rule of law as it currently stands. If enough people wanted a return to the death penalty or torture, politicians would have to act. Until that glorious day, we have to bide our time I'm afraid.

ComputerUserNumptyTwit Thu 29-Dec-16 10:59:29

Has the man in question actually been found guilty? Considering that the baby died on Christmas morning, that would be impossible. I don't think any information has been released yet other than that he has been charged (i'm quite local to the area).

LouieLou2013 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:00:01

This is by me. Absolutely shocking. He's not going to have an easy time of it in prison by any stretch of the means.

Finola1step Thu 29-Dec-16 11:02:32

Yes, it is truly, truly shocking.

But the man in question has not even be tried yet, let alone convicted.

Twogoats Thu 29-Dec-16 11:04:42

The moral high ground is overrated imo.

Anyway, I'm sure he will get his comeuppance in prison. They don't take too kindly to child killers in there.

YetAnotherUser Thu 29-Dec-16 11:04:50

YABU.

You should be seeking justice, not revenge. There's a world of difference.

ChristmasCakeAndCrisps Thu 29-Dec-16 11:12:08

Do you know what they do to child killers in prison? Trust me, if he's convicted he'll suffer grin

SVJAA Thu 29-Dec-16 11:15:52

Child killers are the absolute lowest of the low. I heard this story on the news last night and it made me cry. Poor wee mite, it's just so wrong.
But if he is convicted, he will have a thoroughly miserable time in prison. They really don't like baby killers in there. Console yourself with that thought.

Goldenhandshake Thu 29-Dec-16 11:20:04

I understand your emotion in cases like this, any normal human being would find the idea of deliberately harming a baby, young child etc abhorrent, and this is where your feeling arise from.

I do think sentences in cases of child murder, rape, abuse of the vulnerable etc should be harsher, and I also think in cases of malicious child murder (i.e. intentional) then punishment should be the focus rather than rehabilitation. However that is not how the current UK justice system works.

JustAnotherPoster00 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:21:45

* Neither is a baying mob driving people out of their homes because they suspect them to be paediatricians*

Didnt realise doctors were hated so much grin

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 11:25:59

The fact that we don't visit the same treatment to people who have done terrible things is what marks us out as a civilised society.

GilMartin, oracle.

stonecircle Thu 29-Dec-16 11:27:13

Just another poster - not really a laughing matter.....

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 29-Dec-16 11:28:27

Do other killers feel some sort of moral superiority then, when a child killers comes onto their wing? Child rapists up on their high horses too?

It would be interesting to know what the 'pecking order' is because I don't see any of them as any 'better'.

I agree with Snatched on this too; mob justice isn't the way forward. It's natural to feel a visceral anger when a defenceless person is harmed but we should recognise that for what it is and not 'give it wings'.

limitedperiodonly Thu 29-Dec-16 11:34:56

if he is convicted, he will have a thoroughly miserable time in prison. They really don't like baby killers in there. Console yourself with that thought.

Because people convicted of any old crime apart from baby killing are such moral arbiters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now