Talk

Advanced search

To be really fed up about the club changing its child free times?

(102 Posts)
Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:14:53

I belong a leisure club (which is attached to a hotel) which I joined for two reasons - the easy to enter swimming pool and its rules on limited sessions when children are allowed. Swimming is the only exercise I can do because of my disability. The child sessions are 3-5 weekdays and 9-11, 3-5 Saturdays and Sundays. I went along this morning to find the pool full of squealing excited youngsters and parents shouting and yelling to each other, and with no concept of lane etiquette. I had picked up the flyer about revised opening times over the holiday period before Christmas and there was nothing about changes to child sessions. When I complained, it was finally decided that until the new year, children will be allowed at any time. I feel very marginalised and discounted - AIBU?

WellErrr Wed 28-Dec-16 17:16:21

YANBU.

If them's the rules, they should go to a different pool. And if you're paying membership based on those terms, it's h fair to change the rules as and when they please.

WellErrr Wed 28-Dec-16 17:16:43

*unfair

Gizlotsmum Wed 28-Dec-16 17:17:43

Is it just a change for holidays?

SaucyJack Wed 28-Dec-16 17:18:53

It's 3 days until the New Year.

Is it really the end of the world?

cathf Wed 28-Dec-16 17:21:48

I disagree.
I have been on both sides here - I am a member of a similar club with my children and I also lane swim alone in the same club.
I always roll my eyes at people trying to lane swim at 2pm in the school holidays, and I am equally annoyed in people bring their children in the pool at 7am when I am trying to lane swim. Surely it's common sense that there will be more children in the pool over the festive break?
I have found if you want to lane swim during school holidays especially, it's best to go early evening. It's a bit unreasonable to ask families who are on holiday not to use the pool so that you (who presumable could go anytime?) can.

cathf Wed 28-Dec-16 17:22:59

And you abu for feeling 'maginalised and discounted' for such a minor thing!

Andrewofgg Wed 28-Dec-16 17:26:16

t's a bit unreasonable to ask families who are on holiday not to use the pool so that you can.

No, it's not. The rules are the same for everyone who pays a fee. The families have their time and those without children have theirs.

Euphemia Wed 28-Dec-16 17:30:15

Surely it's common sense that there will be more children in the pool over the festive break?

Surely members should expect the club to stick to its own published session times?

YANBU, OP.

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:39:44

Feeling marginalised and discounted is often part of the territory that goes with disability and I admit to being sensitive to this. However, as some pps have said, these are the rules of the club and if they had wanted to change them over the holidays a) they should have said so and b) offered some recompense. My membership works out at about £30 a week and to all i tents and purposes, that money is wasted this week - well for 5 days of it. Its part of the Principal Hotel Group so I've just emailed their head office re putting in a complaint. Surely its breach of contract?

steff13 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:41:43

They shouldn't have changed to rules without some sort of notice.

cathf Wed 28-Dec-16 17:42:00

As I said, I can see both sides, although I think the OP should have considered the possibility that the rules may be relaxed over holiday periods and maybe have phoned beforehand?
I know I would be very unimpressed if I had paid for an expensive family break over Christmas to find the children were only allowed in the pool for two hours a day.
Can you not see it from the other side at all?

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:42:49

And fWIW today has been a lovely sunny day so there were lots of things that those children could have been doing with their parents that I can't - such as going for a walk - I bloody wish

SaucyJack Wed 28-Dec-16 17:45:05

Overegging the pudding a bit there OP.

Why don't you just look around for an adults-only club?

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:46:30

FFS cath - this is an upmarket hotel chain that employs people that should have thought this through - I should have had to ring to check? How about the company thinking ahead? There are not two sides - there's me who's right and them that's wrong.

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:47:50

Saucy another FFS - if there was one, I would have bloody joined it - do you think my brain doesn't work as well?

ETanny Wed 28-Dec-16 17:48:52

You say this is part of a hotel, what are there rules regarding hotel guests using the facilities? Do children of paying guests also have to stick to them times?

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:50:08

Or maybe I was stupid thinking that published times for children to be allowed meant -oh let me think -meant times for children to be allowed? Well silly me

SaucyJack Wed 28-Dec-16 17:51:02

Well, gosh.

Poor you Hun.

toots111 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:51:29

Can I just say I really hate hotels that have pools but let other non-residents use the pool? smile #nothelping

cathf Wed 28-Dec-16 17:51:33

Well, clearly you are wasting your time on AIBU, because you know you aren't.
You are right, they are wrong, case closed.

LovingLola Wed 28-Dec-16 17:51:48

The fitness club I am in has always had a 1pm to 2pm adult swim only time - 7 days a week. And it is always enforced, even this week when there are lots of families with children there they are asked to get out at 1pm.
I would be pissed off in the circumstances you describe OP.

Sixweekstowait Wed 28-Dec-16 17:52:18

The rules are exactly the same for hotel guests and club members - I established that.Its not at all a family oriented hotel.

RichardBucket Wed 28-Dec-16 17:53:16

People don't get it, OP. They're used to everywhere being accessible to them.

YADNBU and I hope you get a well-considered response to your complaint.

MistresssIggi Wed 28-Dec-16 17:57:46

Is there not a lane marked out at all then, that the more serious swimmer can go in?
Everything changes in the holidays, for good or bad. I would expect holidays to run similar to a "Saturday service". Normal service will resume for you shortly. It is good for children to swim, not enough of them can. I can't imagine paying for a hotel (and paying for my dcs to stay there obviously) and them only being allowed in for two hours in the late afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now