Talk

Advanced search

I cooked a turkey on christmas day but only had one half a slice of the breast meat

(39 Posts)
NormaSmuff Wed 28-Dec-16 13:32:10

sad
it was purposefully a small one since we are economizing.
did manage to make a curry
however the best part of the whole bird Has to be Soup!

my soup contains the christmas veggies, ie, a handful of pre cooked sprouts, parsnips, chesnuts, leeks, swede and carrot with the only fresh vegetable being celery and another leek, and was made out of the boiled carcass.

imo it is about the only reason to buy a turkey.
delicious!

aibu

BaublesAndGlitter Wed 28-Dec-16 13:46:47

YABU I'm afraid. The best part of the turkey is always the cold breast meat on Boxing Day, eaten with real chips, hot stuffing and pickled onions.

Second best is the Christmas dinner and third is the soup fsmile

Love that we all do things slightly differently but why was so little eaten? I've had to hold DH back as he would eat 3 turkey based meals per day for a week following Christmas dinner!

idontlikealdi Wed 28-Dec-16 13:49:10

Yabu. Or in this house anyway. You could have still made the soup out of the carcass and eaten more on Christmas Day.

WorraLiberty Wed 28-Dec-16 13:57:05

Why do you need to know if you are BU and why the sad face?

<< Confused >>

Personally I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than eat that soup, but each to their own of course fgrin

NormaSmuff Wed 28-Dec-16 14:08:15

oh i only had one half a slice because that was all that was left once everyone else had taken a bit sad i would have liked more, <<grumpy face>>

Believeitornot Wed 28-Dec-16 14:09:14

If you managed to make curry then there would have been enough for you to have had more on Xmas day....

NormaSmuff Wed 28-Dec-16 14:10:33

curry from stripping the carcass.
anyway back to the soup. it is only eaten once a year but it is truely lovely.

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:11:53

I think your soup sounds delicious, OP! DH is making our post-turkey soup as I post. (good division of labour, I find)

SalemSaberhagen Wed 28-Dec-16 14:12:38

You obviously didn't buy a large enough turkey then. Or you should have said that you needed some more.

Zippidydoodah Wed 28-Dec-16 14:13:20

Nice of your family to share with you.....hmm

OnMountains Wed 28-Dec-16 14:19:28

YABU for buying turkey in the first place.

Yurkghs.

BizzyFizzy Wed 28-Dec-16 14:20:03

We've had four meals out of our turkey.

Christmas lunch
Grazing supper of repeat lunch or sandwiches
Turkey pie
Turkey soup

I have acquired a pressure cooker this year and can really commend it for making stock. Half an hour and we have the richest stock ever.

MagicChicken Wed 28-Dec-16 14:23:39

YANBU. I have had two bowls of turkey soup for breakfast and lunch and I plan on having another one for dinner. Mine is particularly spectacular this year.

I stripped the carcass and boiled the bones of the broth, added some meat and some veg and a splash of cream. And I still have plenty of meat left for a turkey and ham pie and a turkey and mushroom pasta bake.

MagicChicken Wed 28-Dec-16 14:23:59

for the broth, not of the broth.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Wed 28-Dec-16 14:24:32

Ah. You should have read about the Mumsnet chicken before Christmas - feeds a family of four for a week wink

BakeOffBiscuits Wed 28-Dec-16 14:39:56

YANBU, your family should have shared with you so you had more meat! I expect you cooked it all then ended up with half a slice? That's not fair at all.

We always have Christmas dinner, turkey and stuffing sandwiches on Boxing Day then turkey and ham pie on the 27th. The pie is my fav meal.

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:44:26

Yes, turkey is very versatile. I have just consumed a plate of DH's turkey curry and it was lovely. I don't mind using up the turkey at all.

Goldenhandshake Wed 28-Dec-16 14:59:39

YABVU. The best bit is turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches on Christmas evening for tea smile accompanied by little gherkins and left over sausage meat grin

rookiemere Wed 28-Dec-16 15:03:13

Sadly my turkey breast ended up really dry as I'd put it back in the oven to heat it up and left it in too long with all the kerfuffle of getting everything else out.

It has however been rather nice as part of creamy turkey curry ( Delia Smith's recipe) and as part of a gammon, turkey and bean chilli - much nicer than it sounds.

There's still a bit lurking under silver foil in the bottom of the fridge, but I'm thinking that might meet it's demise tonight.

BreatheDeep Wed 28-Dec-16 15:06:40

I'm with OnMountains - no turkey here, we all think it's revolting

MagicChicken Wed 28-Dec-16 15:07:17

My DH always insists we buy the biggest turkey possible because he loves having loads left over for us to make things with. He'd be really disappointed if there wasn't at least some soup, lots of sandwiches and two or three other meals.

LegoCaltrops Wed 28-Dec-16 15:08:14

Leftover turkey soup - truly the worst use of turkey. Ever. Sandwiches with the cold meat, sliced pickled gherkins, & lettuce, are the best use of the leftovers IMHO. Closely followed by a general Christmas dinner sandwich (stuffing, cranberry sauce etc).

To be fair, I don't actually like turkey if it's hot. I will only consent to cook it on the understanding that I get my beloved sandwiches afterwards.

Bobsmum02 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:14:28

I'm all for Turkey left overs, we enjoyed turkey sandwiches and Turkey curry but I think it's a little strange OP that you didn't have enough for Christmas Day dinner!

limitedperiodonly Wed 28-Dec-16 15:26:20

The best bits of a turkey are slices of breast meat with plenty of gravy and later slices of breast meat in white bloomer sandwiches with stuffing on Christmas Day. Don't like cranberry but will allow other people to have it.

Then more turkey sandwiches for Boxing Day breakfast using the leg meat followed by bubble and squeak made with left over potatoes, stuffing and vegetables, cold leg meat and brown sauce.

TealGiraffe Wed 28-Dec-16 15:30:38

Im not arsed about turkey on christmas dinner, im all about the ham grin however you cant beat cold turkey and stuffing butties / turkey and chips, etc.

I'm going to my parents tomorrow for the annual 'christmas pie'. My dads homemade pie stuffed full of turkey and ham in some kind of magic 'secret recipe' sauce. With a pile of homemade chips. Cant bloody wait smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now