Talk

Advanced search

Selling unwanted gifts on Facebook

(16 Posts)
Chapter34 Wed 28-Dec-16 10:22:53

I am clearing out the house - old furniture etc. I keep seeing lots of unopened brand new toys for sale.

Two things.
1) who buys more toys three days after Xmas?
And
2) Isn't it incredibly rude to sell gifts three days after you receive them?

AIBU to think, get some discretion and open an eBay account people!!

SheSparkles Wed 28-Dec-16 10:24:29

eBay accounts cost money, selling on FB doesn't

user1477282676 Wed 28-Dec-16 10:24:52

I know. It's like those Facebook selling posts where people put "Toddlers thick fur coat and matching hat for sale" and it's frigging JUNE!

MommaGee Wed 28-Dec-16 10:26:06

I am selling my sons toy because we already have it. Its a lovely present but not one he needs two of. I checked with the person who bought it who has no recipet. Shed rather I sold it and bought something he can play with.
You don't know their circumstances, yabu

DramaInPyjamas Wed 28-Dec-16 10:26:35

They might desperately need the money for food and bills

Chapter34 Wed 28-Dec-16 10:38:00

Yes these are all fair points.

I understand the duplicate argument but these are posts with multiple items. I also know of the people that moved me to ask this (because it is Facebook) - nice cars, bigs houses, well dressed children. No overt signs of poverty.

I just worry its a bit more 'I don't want this I want something else'. And that makes me sad that it is so acceptable now to respond to a gift in that way instead of with genuine gratitude.

dingdongthewitchishere Wed 28-Dec-16 10:44:25

No overt signs of poverty

confused

You lost me there. Maybe people do have a nice house/ big cars and very healthy pension plans because they work hard and are not wasteful? You can have an average income, not starve but not wanting to drown your children in tat and teach them decent value. Most families receive quite a few duplicate for Christmas, why should they keep them.

You don't know the story you don't know the reasons, why are you so judgmental?

Chapter34 Wed 28-Dec-16 10:55:20

I'm not trying to be a judgement though although in hindsight I acknowledge that I actually am being that way.

I'm asking a question in a place where I can be quite open about my thoughts without risk of hurting these people's feelings by asking them directly.

The point about them drowning in tat is a good one. They are selling more than my Dd got altogether so I imagine they had much more to start with.

I'm not sure why you are upset about 'no overt signs of poverty'. It was relevant to my question.

MommaGee Wed 28-Dec-16 11:31:40

We have one DC and got 4 duplicate presents in a total haul of about 55 so I guess depending on how many kids etc they could have a larger haul. Were only reselling the big one and will pass the others on to one of our preferred charities without telling anyone.
It does seem quote harsh to do it so publicly if its not with express agreement from the buyer.
Are they of the useless tat variety or are they decent presents?

Princesspinkgirl Wed 28-Dec-16 13:23:44

Better to recycle I don't think it's rude

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 28-Dec-16 13:36:21

Or they could have snapped up bargains in the sales and be selling them on at a profit?

user1467976192 Wed 28-Dec-16 13:38:19

I saw one selling a radley purse saying it was an unwanted gift, the first comment was the person who had bought it saying I thought you loved it yesterday.... oops

cariadlet Wed 28-Dec-16 13:39:04

I think it's rude and tactless.

I was given loads of nice biscuits and chocolates that I can't eat so took them down to the foodbank collection bin in my local supermarket this morning. I took a couple of other things to a charity shop. I wouldn't dream of reselling something that I was given as a present.

dingdongthewitchishere Wed 28-Dec-16 14:00:34

If you are fine with giving away, or chucking, unwanted presents, then there's not much difference with selling them.

I much rather sell my kids presents so I can use the money for something else, than getting rid of items that belongs to them, not to me!

Chapter34 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:14:19

user1467976192 shock

Chapter34 Wed 28-Dec-16 14:15:49

MommaGee they are good presents! All with captions like "unopened".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now