Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DSD Wedding Ring Electric Shock

(23 Posts)
LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 20:43:19

Have name changed for this but am a regular.

I'm really sad sad.

I was clearing up after all our Christmas guests had left for home.

DH had taken DSD back to her Mum's.

I was making DSD's bed and unplugging her hair straighteners which are plugged into a multi-socket.

She has her phone charger plugged in to the same multi socket using an international adapter with an integrated USB.

It seems the adapter has become faulty (I didn't notice as I reached to unplug the straighteners) so that plugged in on the UK setting, the prongs for the European setting were exposed.

As I reached for the plug my wedding ring made contact with the exposed prongs. I was thrown back with the shock.

I am ok but shaken up. Firstly I'm glad it happened to me not DSD. I don't know if she'd noticed the adapter was faulty or if she had that she would have known it was dangerous.

Either way, I'm grateful she wasn't hurt.

However, the shock has taken a hole out of my wedding ring and I'm upset about it.

Any idea on if I can get it repaired? Picture attached.

Finally I hope I'm not being U in warning about faulty international adaptors where the "lock" for different countries has failed so prongs are exposed. sad

ohfourfoxache Tue 27-Dec-16 20:48:12

shock

Should be repairable- take it to a good independent jeweller. Someone might be able to suggest somewhere if you tell us roughly where you are.

Hope you're ok thanks

AdmiralCissyMary Tue 27-Dec-16 20:48:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Dec-16 20:49:58

Have you been checked out? I thought the advice was always to get checked out after electrocution? Hope you are ok.

whyohwhy000 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:50:31

Take it to a reputable jeweller - make sure you check reviews first.

If you are near London there are jewellery workshops around Hatton Garden. They should be able to advise on your options.
Hope you are OK.

FrogTime Tue 27-Dec-16 20:52:09

Oh gosh OP! Are you ok? That sounds really horrible.

You won't be alone tonight will you? I've no idea the side effects of a larger shock but my spidey sense day not to be alone!

A good jeweller will be able to repair the ring, they may have to add in some metal so it might cost a little for the materials, they may also decide to plate the whole thing to make it smooth but they'd be able to advise. Id probably go to a local jeweller who could quote for you.

flowers for you!

KayTee87 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:52:32

wolfie electrocution is death by electric shock wink

I'm sure a jeweller could fix it op flowers

DesignedForLife Tue 27-Dec-16 20:55:07

Should be easily fixable, might be covered by your household insurance (mine are).

DesignedForLife Tue 27-Dec-16 20:55:51

*engagement and wedding rings that is. Only have one wedding ring.

RacoonBandit Tue 27-Dec-16 20:56:04

Really sorry this happened OP is your dsd old enough to understand about uk/Europe plugs?

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Dec-16 20:57:23

Doh! I don't know the correct term! Clearly not a medic. I thought the advice was to get checked out if you suffered an electric shock.

wowfudge Tue 27-Dec-16 21:01:17

A jeweller will be able to repair your ring OP. Provided it isn't plated to start with or have stones set in it, it is relatively straightforward. I once drilled through a diagonal cable in a wall and was thrown off a ladder. Luckily the safety features of UK electrics kicked in and I was wearing trainers, thank goodness.

LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 21:01:46

Thanks for the replies flowers

I was shaking for about 5 mins afterwards - I was under other circumstances comedy style thrown backwards onto my ass by the shock.

I feel fine now though.

Just hugely relieved on one hand that DSD wasn't hurt and thankful strangely that my regular pestering to unplug her straighters was ignored again but obviously sad about my ring.

I know a reputable jewellers I'm just worried they will say it can't be fixed.

DH has been lovely - like me thankful DSD wasn't hurt, but making sure I'm ok and telling me not to worry about the ring. Either he will get it fixed or buy me a replacement I don't want a replacement.

LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 21:05:04

Sorry - trying to keep up.

My ring has diamonds on the front side set into it.

It was damaged on the back.

This was the adapter - see picture.

So it was plugged in on the UK setting, but the European "prongs" had come loose from locked (at the side) iyswim.

Allthewaves Tue 27-Dec-16 21:16:42

We had a chat at work from fire officer about how multiplugs/adaptors often are not suited for using more than one appliance at the time as they can't cope with carry the electricity the apliances pull and slowly breakdown inside.

I was quite shocked when went home and added up the voltage?? Of the applinaces in had plugged into a 4 way extension and it was way over the recommended load.

Poppins2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:18:22

You should really get checked out at the hospital or at the very least call 111 for advice. Do you have any burns? The fact you were thrown backwards and shaking afterwards indicates it wasn't exactly a minor shock!

www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/first-aid/

scottishdiem Tue 27-Dec-16 21:21:07

The ring should be repairable. Friend of mine lost a lot of weight and the wedding ring eventually had a bit cut out and then it was rejoined but it was silver. Yours looks like gold so I'd imagine they would fill the hole and shine it to match.

LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 21:23:51

To be clear, it was being used for its USB port for a phone charger.

The other appliance plugged into the uk multi plug were the straighteners.

I think the problem is that with most international adapters all the "plugs" are on one side.

This one has US/UK on one side but the European on on another. You have to slide out the correct US/UK prongs but the European ones flip out from another side of the cube.

If the lock on the euro prongs fails (as it seems to have done here) it sticks out live. There is no fail safe or breaker when it's plugged in.

I think it's a big design fault.

LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 21:25:12

Thanks for your concern.

DFIL is a paramedic and I've been assessed as fine.

Chinnygirl Tue 27-Dec-16 21:25:55

I can't see it very clearly in the photo but it looks like the gold part was damaged. If it was damaged really bad they can saw the bit out and put a new piece of gold in.

And go to a goldsmith, not a jeweller. A jeweller doesn't fix anything but sends it to the goldsmith. You would rather explain to the goldsmith yourself what needs to be done.

tiej Tue 27-Dec-16 21:28:54

I would keep it as it is, I like it. Failing that I would have it filled with a different colour metal. It's a great dinner party story.

LiterallyShocked Tue 27-Dec-16 21:34:35

Tiej - maybe you are right grin

A bit of rose gold or platinum as an infill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now