Talk

Advanced search

To not understand about "leftovers";?

(126 Posts)
user1477282676 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:16:37

I keep reading threads about leftovers...people going on about how nice they are, how they love them and even arguments about what happens to them.

I never really have any from Christmas dinner! No more than from an average Sunday roast anyway....a few potatoes and some meat.

Is it because we only have myself, DH and two DC for Christmas dinner? Do people cook WAY too much?

What ARE these leftovers anyway? Is it piles of meat and a load of crusty stuffing? Dried up parsnips?

What's the deal?

cardibach Tue 27-Dec-16 20:20:17

Well, a turkey is bigger than a Sunday roast, so there's meat, then making a bigger variety of veg usually leads to more surplus. More than one pudding could easily mean leftover pudding. Cheese board so a variety of cheese. Nice nibbles.
Is your Christmas dinner really only like a Sunday roast? I'm a bit sad for you.

ClashCityRocker Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:12

I suppose it depends what you have for Christmas Day lunch. No way could we eat the full turkey breast between the two of us.

I've had cold turkey and bread sauce and cranberry sauce today and yesterday.

Also done bubble and squeak which is basically all the leftovers (including crusty stuffing!) mashed up and fried. Lovely with a poached egg on top.

Could have probably made a soup with the the leftover veg.

therealpippi Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:19

'Is your Christmas dinner really only like a Sunday roast? I'm a bit sad for you.'

hmm

Palomb Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:30

Bubble and squeak!

We make sure we cook extra veg from roast dinners so we can fry it in to bubble the next day. Delicious!

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:51

Is your Christmas dinner really only like a Sunday roast? I'm a bit sad for you.

Maybe the op just goes a really good Sunday roast. confused

Wolverbamptonwanderer Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:56

How do you find a turkey or goose for 3? The smallest I could find was 2kg

NavyandWhite Tue 27-Dec-16 20:23:10

No leftovers here. The 3 dogs had a huge Christmas dinner too wink

MixedUpConfusion Tue 27-Dec-16 20:23:29

If you're like DM she cooks enough to feed a small army so plenty leftovers from her Christmas dinner

sooperdooper Tue 27-Dec-16 20:24:25

I guess most people tend to over cater for Christmas dinner whereas it sounds like you've got your portions spot on OP smile

We went out for Christmas dinner but I did a Boxing Day ham roast dinner & DH made himself virtually a full on roast dinner for breakfast grin

therealpippi Tue 27-Dec-16 20:24:26

OP if you have a h like mine you'll have tons of leftovers... he thinks he iscooking for an army.

So we made turkey pie (withone extra to give away), pasta with the veggies and broth in the freeze. We'll be fine till feb.

ClashCityRocker Tue 27-Dec-16 20:24:29

Why would you be sad for the op if her dinners 'only' like a Sunday roast? Sunday roasts are awesome, and I'm sure they all enjoyed it.

twinklefoot Tue 27-Dec-16 20:24:30

Still munching through leftovers.

Today Christmas cake for breakfast
Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, coleslaw, lettuce and chutney for lunch
Turkey jacket potatoe sald chutneys, various cheeses and sticky toffee pudding with brandy cream.
Just waiting until 9pm for a glass of port.

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Dec-16 20:24:33

We cook extra do we can have leftovers over the next few days archer than having to cook from scratch again.

megletthesecond Tue 27-Dec-16 20:25:07

Mmmmm, left over parsnips.

I'll eat any leftover cold veg and meat. Two day old roast potatoes are the best.

cardibach Tue 27-Dec-16 20:25:21

What's the hmm for? I just think Christmas lunch is far and away the best meal of the year and am genuinely sad someone might not be having that!

klassykringle Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:05

Well our Christmas dinner was "just" a Sunday roast. But then we never do Sunday roasts so it was lovely.

Please do feel patronisingly sad for me (and by all means send appropriate food to help rectify the situation) grin

twinklefoot Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:08

Potato!

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:33

Maybe the OPs Sunday dinners are what everyone else does for xmas dinner and so involves more things than everyone else's Sunday dinners!!!

Aderyn2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:47

We had leftover turkey, sausagemeat stuffing, honey roasted carrots and parsnips and roast pots. The kids used most of the turkey and stuffing in sandwiches and I used the turkey carcass and rest of veg to make a soup. Isn't that usual?

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Dec-16 20:26:48

cardi it is basically a Sunday roast though. And there isn't one approved definition of what Christmas lunch should be.

ClashCityRocker Tue 27-Dec-16 20:27:14

She said she didn't have any more leftovers than a usual Sunday roast. Maybe she just does fecking awesome Sunday roasts, or maybe she cuts down portions to accommodate the extra veg with Christmas dinner. I'm sure there's no need to pity her.

CointreauVersial Tue 27-Dec-16 20:27:40

If I'm catering for 12-14 people, which is generally the case at Christmas, then there will be lots of leftovers, because I make sure nothing runs out, and there are always loads of side dishes.

If I was cooking for 4, then maybe there wouldn't be.

Oblomov16 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:28:05

Christmas dinner IS just a posh roast. With extras, pigs in blankets, for eg.
Why is that sad?

Palomb Tue 27-Dec-16 20:28:13

Maybe it's just that some people routinely cook amazing roast dinners every week. My roasts are pretty good - Christmas Day dinner wasn't
That different tbh! Maybe up your game on a normal Sunday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now