Talk

Advanced search

It's my handbag!

(65 Posts)
ChipIn Tue 27-Dec-16 17:05:12

Going for lunch with friends, I take a handbag big enough to fit a couple of books and toys in for dd. Rushing to the train (with dd in baby carrier) I think my bag feels a bit heavy, that's annoying. Get on the train and DH has stashed his fucking 1100 page book in there!

He doesn't see the problem as I was "taking a bag anyway." Yes, but I wasn't expecting to carry a fucking brick around. On the way home now and he's managed to read it for all of 10 minutes. Worth it then angry

AIBU for not wanting to be his pack horse? Anyone have a man child who thinks their handbag is there for you to carry his shit around?!

Not the first time his has happened, you may be able to tell...

allegretto Tue 27-Dec-16 17:06:35

My dad always used to do this to my mum - load it up with camera equipment. I hate carrying heavy bags to I always pick a small one, plus DH is Italian so he has his manbag. grin

Aftertheraincomesthesun Tue 27-Dec-16 17:07:42

Yep. I'm the one who carries all the shit in my handbag for both of us.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 27-Dec-16 17:08:17

Just tell him to take it. I don't mind taking the odd thing for dh and my boys. If he did that I would be handing it back

SaltySalt Tue 27-Dec-16 17:08:21

DP "just I just pop these in your bag?"
Pours in keys wallet phone water etc

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 27-Dec-16 17:08:22

Tell him to buy an e reader for long books!

Cheesymonster Tue 27-Dec-16 17:09:36

YANBU, I'd have left it on the train. DH used to ask me to carry his keys, wallet and warrant card - I just refuse now.

flumpybear Tue 27-Dec-16 17:09:43

I get the same, hell even pass the keys to me for my pockets - he wears jeans usually and they're fine with keys in, women's trousers aren't they're too heavy for these pockets - I throw them back!!

UrethaFranklin Tue 27-Dec-16 17:11:52

My DP does the same. We'll go out, I'll go into my bag at some point and find his phone, his ecig and his reading glasses. He sneaks them in when I'm not looking, it drives me potty angry

bloodyteenagers Tue 27-Dec-16 17:12:14

Simple solution. Ditch the handbag.
I have pockets. Mobile. House keys. Card holder. That's it.
When the D.C.'s were little the bag was
Big enough to hold their stuff. anythibg that wasn't theirs was removed, and yes even in transit and given back to the person. Amazing how quickly people learn to either carry their own shit or leave it at home.

olderthanyouthink Tue 27-Dec-16 17:12:25

My dad does this to me or my mum (or both at once). I do it right back when he has his rucksack smile and I have a couple very small bags so he can't really do it.

OohhThatsMe Tue 27-Dec-16 17:13:51

No, the answer isn't to ditch the bag! A book that size will ruin a good handbag, OP - take it out and make him carry it.

ememem84 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:18:26

I used to have this specifically when we went away. Would take a nice light bag. Yen dh would fill with phone wallet water book glasses sunglasses etc. I now travel light. Small handbag. It winds him up. Haha!

girlelephant Tue 27-Dec-16 17:19:58

YANBU! It's not ok to put something that heavy in someone else's bag!

bloodyteenagers Tue 27-Dec-16 17:20:47

What do you lot take with you that requires bags? I generally don't get it. I see people rummaging around mountains of crap and think why?

AmeliaJack Tue 27-Dec-16 17:20:49

Nope my DH has a "man bag" for all his stuff if we are going out for the day. It's generally bigger than my handbag so he ends up carrying all the waterproof jackets and water bottles too.

dingdongthewitchishere Tue 27-Dec-16 17:21:15

get him a rucksack and give him the heavy staff. Easy.

Witchend Tue 27-Dec-16 17:22:13

I do it to dh grin
I call him my portable pocket

OohhThatsMe Tue 27-Dec-16 17:22:50

bloodyteenagers Well, I put a purse, phone, car/house keys, odd make up items, little packet of tissues and usually a bottle of water. Where would you put those?

ChocoChou Tue 27-Dec-16 17:24:23

YANBU I have the same issue.. my DH says "this is what I buy you nice handbags for!"
Pfffft. Buy me another one and I might consider it.

bloodyteenagers Tue 27-Dec-16 17:30:44

Make up, tissues and water I don't cart them around with me.

topaz22 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:30:58

i get the pleasure of carrying round keys and ecig too angry it makes such a difference on the weight of your bag!

Olympiathequeen Tue 27-Dec-16 17:32:42

Buy him a man bag.

bluebeck Tue 27-Dec-16 17:33:29

XH tried to pull this shit. I just gave his stuff back to him and said my bag was too heavy/wouldn't do up. You just have to say No and mean it OP.

Pineappletastic Tue 27-Dec-16 17:34:33

YANBU

If I'm wearing the baby DH carries the bag, only fair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now