Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What would your ideal lifestyle be?

(142 Posts)
WilburIsSomePig Tue 27-Dec-16 16:37:51

I'm generally pretty happy with my lot but sometimes I let my mind wander to a different life.

Maybe I would live in a fishing village on a little Greek island, making wine, eating wonderful food and speaking fluent Greek to my many friends. My DC's would work alongside me when they are old enough and our days would be happy, long and sunny.

Oh and I'd be married to Hugh Jackman who would adore me. Obviously.

WilburIsSomePig Tue 27-Dec-16 16:38:46

Sorry, I meant to post in chat before anyone asks what my AIBU is!

Branleuse Tue 27-Dec-16 16:40:34

some sort of offgrid thing in a warmer country than this

LouiseBrooks Tue 27-Dec-16 16:42:32

You have stolen my fantasy life Wilburls! I might swap Hugh Jackman for someone else (maybe Simon Baker?) But otherwise it's spot on. I just have to decide where in Greece to live!

Philoslothy Tue 27-Dec-16 16:42:44

I just about live my ideal lifestyle. I don't have to work and spend my time pottering about with animals and children.

oldlaundbooth Tue 27-Dec-16 16:44:13

Living in a cave near a river and lots of forest. Sleeping with lots of hot cave men whenever I fancied. Going hunting and eating bison and berries.

JennyHolzersGhost Tue 27-Dec-16 16:44:27

Corsica. Boat for sailing to deserted beaches. Sexy French pirate to keep the bed warm.

Newbrummie Tue 27-Dec-16 16:46:07

By the end of next year I should be living my dream. Self employed in the sun, Hugh Hackman you can keep I bet he farts and snores like the rest of em

Birdsgottafly Tue 27-Dec-16 16:48:46

I should have married an Irish/Yorkshire/Welsh farmer and had a reasonable amount of time to walk with my dogs, in the countryside.

Instead I go camping.

thecolonelbumminganugget Tue 27-Dec-16 16:50:30

Oyster farming in the scottish highlands, with a dalmation and a spaniel at my side, coming home to DP and snuggling in front of a roaring fire. Occasionally going to meetings at swanky restaurants around the world who want to buy my oysters.

MothersRuinart Tue 27-Dec-16 16:53:42

I'd be a wealthy woman living in a nice area in a big city, with an active and interesting personal life, lots of dinner parties, eating out, weekend escapes to other side of the world. Dh would be top of his profession and wear tailored suits, I would excel at my flexible part time job that would pay me a fortune. Ds would be a funny and compassionate rich kid with friends from all different backgrounds.

annandale Tue 27-Dec-16 16:55:21

Huge penthouse flat with roof terrace and lots of spare bedrooms in central London, somewhere near the London Library. Minimal furniture and fuss so that people can come and stay without stressing about breaking/staining any of it. Nightly trips to the theatre/concert hall/ opera/ballet.

This would do, although the decor is horrific (I like the balcony and the bit next to it). How many cushions?? Once I'd cleaned out all the furniture and brought in my own tatty old Ikea stuff I'd be golden.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 27-Dec-16 16:57:10

I want to live in a barn conversion in the Shropshire hills, approx 15 minutes from where I currently live, we'd have a holiday home on the Pembrokeshire coast.
A dog would be fab but I wouldn't work full time so ideally I'd drop hours to two days a week.

I do dream about this a lot.

ludothedog Tue 27-Dec-16 16:58:03

I like your thinking OP. Kind of like a modern version of the Durrells but with more money. Hopefully I'll get there when I retire.

However, until then I dream of being a SAHP with proper time ever day for nice walks with the dog, yoga when the kids are at school and time to work my little vegetable plot at the end of the garden. Maybe get some chickens too. I'd also make cider and chutney with the apples that grow that I never have time to do anything with. It would also mean that DD could go to choir practice. She really wants to do that but has to go to after school club instead.

wildthingsinthenight Tue 27-Dec-16 16:59:20

Lovely thread!
I would like to run a bookshop/coffee shop by the sea maybe somewhere on Yorkshire coast so DH could commute instead of staying away. I would co own with a friend so we wouldn't have to both work every day.
My DS would have an outdoor lifestyle always on the beach. I would have time to do courses I am interested in like watercolour painting or sketching.
I would join a choir or have voice coaching lessons as I love singing. Maybe be in the odd concert/musical.
Would have time to go for a run on the beach every morning too.
Getting carried away now! 😁
As you can see I haven't thought about it much...
Thank you for this thread xx

Frouby Tue 27-Dec-16 17:01:12

A 4 bedroomed farmhouse, about 20 acres of land with 5 stables, a sandschool and with access to lots of off road hacking.

Neither I or DP would need to work. We would just potter around all day doing the animals and the land. The dcs would both be happy doing the same after school.

Nice village, good schools and a pub that lets dogs in. But not in the middle of nowhere as I do like a bit of a mooch around the shops.

We would compete the ponies all summer then chill out all winter.

And have our own chickens and grow our own veg.

MadisonMontgomery Tue 27-Dec-16 17:01:58

Little log cabin by a lake in the woods somewhere cold, where I could read and walk the dog and potter around.

allegretto Tue 27-Dec-16 17:05:00

I read this and immediately thought - I would like to be on my own, no DH, no children. blush I didn't realise that was what I wanted. Now I feel awful!

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Dec-16 17:05:14

There's a £4 million mansion near the kids school, we would love there with horses and dogs and always have a house full of stray people and throw fabulous parties for every occasion.

JustCallMeKate Tue 27-Dec-16 17:09:43

I'd say we live our ideal life. The farmhouse, stables, indoor school, outdoor school, pool, lovely gardens be many animals. DH has his surgery pretty much on our doorstep. I work part time through choice, DH won't give his work up anytime soon as he loves it too much and is well respected in his field. Some people would feel isolated here but we love it and have many friends and family nearby. We cherish everything we have and are very grateful for it (especially our health).

icy121 Tue 27-Dec-16 17:10:17

Trustafarian. Without a doubt!

hibouhibou Tue 27-Dec-16 17:14:03

I'd like to live like the ladies from the real housewives of Beverly Hills. Who wouldn't want to live in a mansion and go to the spa everyday?

Blackfellpony Tue 27-Dec-16 17:15:53

I would love to live in a farmhouse or cottage style house with a few acres so I could keep my ponies at home.

Unlikely to happen but I can dream!

absolutelynotfabulous Tue 27-Dec-16 17:18:45

I think I fancy being on my own too, alegrettogrin. I'd live in a high-ceilinged apartment somewhere very urban, with a view over the streets below. And maybe a view of the sea too. I'd have eclectic artistic friends and spend hours with them composing cool music around my grand piano. I'd be popular but mysterious and the toast of the neighbourhood. I'd have a car -something impractical and interesting-which would be parked beneath my window. I'd make my living from music but not Grade 1 Abrsm. I'd smoke Sobranies through a long holder and eat specially calorie-counted meals every day. I'd wear All Saints, I'd wear my hair cropped and bleached white and my nose would have an enormous diamond stud in it.

annandale Tue 27-Dec-16 17:49:35

Oh God allegretto, of course I was living alone in my 6 bedroom penthouse. I didn't mention that because I thought it was obvious! There is no such thing as the ideal partner or the ideal child IMO. Families come into their own when the chips are down, but this is all about a life where the chips have stayed up...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now