Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Stop taking pictures of my baby!

(232 Posts)
jammydodger92 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:01:29

My OH's family are starting to really annoy me....Mostly his sister. Every time we see them one or more of them they take pictures of my baby. Now I don't mind the odd picture being taken to create memories and we send them pictures almost every day if she's doing something new or in a nice outfit. His sister goes over the top though and takes multiple pictures of my baby during the visit shoving her phone in her face in order to do it. One night she was asleep and his sister took about five pictures all the same!

We've told them not to take so many to which we've been met with them saying what's the problem? she's my niece or whatever I can take as many as I want.

On Christmas day night my baby wasn't feeling well as she had just had her injections a couple of days before and was very clingy and teary. She stopped crying and had a nice few mins of smiles with his sister, mum and myself. Without hesitation his sister got out her phone to take a picture to which I stopped her straight away and said no don't take any pictures. She said sorry but then and went and sat on the other side of the room in a huff.
We had sent everyone a picture in the morning with a sign saying it's my first Christmas so it's not like they didn't have any pictures of her on a special day.

I just hate the fact people think they have a right to do whatever they want with her just just because they are related. Am I being so unreasonable? There are other things going on with his family too but this is the main thing that annoys me and my OH.

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Dec-16 16:02:54

WTF? What harm does taking pictures actually do? They aren't doing anything harmful or intrusive surely?! confused

Trifleorbust Tue 27-Dec-16 16:03:52

I think it's odd that you mind but she's your baby so it's up to you.

Whatslovegottodo Tue 27-Dec-16 16:05:08

The babies her niece.
Photos do not harm the baby.
You were over precious and should apologise to her.

Nospringflower Tue 27-Dec-16 16:05:13

Yes YABU. Cant believe anyone would object to photos being taken like that. You are being incredibly PFB about this.

Fallonjamie Tue 27-Dec-16 16:05:30

I think you're weird to find it annoying.

Maudlinmaud Tue 27-Dec-16 16:05:51

Is she putting the images on social media?

OwlinaTree Tue 27-Dec-16 16:06:52

It's quite nice that they are so interested in your baby. Why do you mind? Is it because you don't want them on social media?

deblet Tue 27-Dec-16 16:07:04

I think you might have some sort of a problem to be honest. How does it hurt for the people that love her to have pictures of her? You are behaving irrationally and I find that sad.

QueenOfTheWhiteWalkers Tue 27-Dec-16 16:07:20

Oh come on! What harm is it doing? I'm constantly taking photos of my baby nephew, he's gorgeous! Everytime someone gets their phone out he goes into pose mode and gives big cheesy smiles.

Only1scoop Tue 27-Dec-16 16:07:24

Sounds like you have Copywrite....confused
How dare family take a few Snaps of your babies first ChristmasshockEspecially after you have already messaged their allocated snap....
Liberties....outrageous

BIgBagofJelly Tue 27-Dec-16 16:08:25

I think you need to explain why the photos are a problem, otherwise it just sounds quite controlling. If she's using a flash and waking the baby up I could understand but if she just wants to take load of photos, you may find it unnecessary but if she wants the photos why not let her take them.

Aftertheraincomesthesun Tue 27-Dec-16 16:08:42

Michael Jackson used to put a cloth over the head of his baby didn't he? Could that work?

TillyLilly9 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:08:44

As long as the pictures aren't plastered all over social media I don't see the problem. Your baby is growing up in a family of people who clearly adore her!

Jesus, my phone is full of pictures of my nephews!

FeckinCrutches Tue 27-Dec-16 16:09:28

But it's not doing the baby any harm is it?

FrankAndBeans Tue 27-Dec-16 16:09:31

YANBU.
My brother does this and puts them on Snapchat for all of his random mates to see. Drives me insane, especially when he used the flash and made my newborn baby cry in pain and shock angry

Trifleorbust Tue 27-Dec-16 16:09:57

Of course photos don't harm the baby but some people naturally find cameras on all the time intrusive.

Chocoholicmonster Tue 27-Dec-16 16:10:28

YABU. Ive got a 10 week old son & my younger cousin is forever taking pictures & selfies of the baby & herself. Other friends & family have also taken their own photographs of him. I think it's quite endearing that he's loved so much. My own 'rule' is no naked or bath pictures to be taken & strictly never put onto social media. I dont understand why it's an issue so long as they aren't intrusive. I think you're being a bit precious.

lovelearning Tue 27-Dec-16 16:10:53

I stopped her straight away and said no don't take any pictures

OP: You are not being unreasonable.

Stick to your guns.

TheWitTank Tue 27-Dec-16 16:11:11

I can't see a problem to be honest. I presume she is just keeping them for herself to look at and not putting them on facebook? You were a bit rude and I would be put out too.

Palegreenstars Tue 27-Dec-16 16:11:38

Pick your battles, unless she's posting them everywhere

FatOldBag Tue 27-Dec-16 16:11:39

YABU, sorry, time to get a grip!

Jellybean83 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:11:50

Seriously? 😂😂

queenc81 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:12:18

I find this strange, unless she was using the flash on the camera I don't see an issue blush

(The camera flash is damaging to babies eyes)

Lookingforadvice123 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:12:22

I get where you're coming from with the annoyance as my SIL is constantly photographing/videoing my baby DS and I'm of the opinion that it's better to just enjoy him in the flesh rather than spending the whole visit looking at him through a lens hmm

So I don't think you're BU to find it annoying, but you're BU and precious to ask them not to, I've never asked SIL not to as its her phone, her choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now