Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To swap clothes for something else?

(9 Posts)
whoneedswings Tue 27-Dec-16 13:04:34

I need a quick straw poll, or just to be told I'm an ungrateful so and so! If you were given a gift for your baby that is lovely but you just don't need it is it OK to return it to the shop for another item you really need? For example when DS was born a friend bought him lots of baby vests. I had so many I returned 1 pack and the shop gave me a gift voucher. He was in and out of his vests so fast, but with the gift voucher I bought him some booties he's worn every day. (I didn't tell friend this.)

Today's conundrum- aunt who I've only met a few times, and whose never been involved in my life until now suddenly got in touch to say they had a present for DS and wanted to meet him. Lovely, so kind of her and nice to be in touch. Bought him a gorgeous jacket in the size he is now. Problem is he's got jackets and jumpers coming out of his ears and he's not going to get much use out of it. (If it had been close family they would of asked what he needed.) the shop she got it from does lovely leggings and he desperately needs some. We're really not well off and I'm so tempted to take the jacket back and see if I can swap for some leggings. I'm not going to see the aunt and will of course send a thank you card. But I feel so guilty because she's gone in and picked out something nice. Just seems a shame he's not really going to wear it. Thoughts?

Celticlassie Tue 27-Dec-16 13:06:54

I'd return them. And if I had given them to you I'd not be remotely offended if you did.
If you don't see her often you could maybe stick it on him, take a pic and send it on at a later date though?

SparklyLeprechaun Tue 27-Dec-16 13:10:51

I'd return them. If you're feeling guilty about it, why don't you tell her you love the jacket but he's about to grow out of that size and would she mind if you swapped it for a bigger size / something else. I can't see that anyone would take offence.

MoodyOne Tue 27-Dec-16 13:11:08

I would return it and get something he needs ... I wouldn't at all be offended as each person has different tastes ... x

RoganJosh Tue 27-Dec-16 13:12:07

I returned everything that wasn't going to get worn much. Waste irritates me!

FlyingFordAnglia Tue 27-Dec-16 13:13:02

I'd return them. I've done this a few times. I have gift vouchers/credit notes for when ds2 goes up a size and actually needs new clothes instead of just keeping things and trying to get enough wear out of everything. Similarly my friend took numerous items back for her children to swap up to bigger sizes because otherwise they just wouldn't be worn. Don't feel bad about it.

QuandryQueen Tue 27-Dec-16 13:14:39

Keep the tag on, put it on him and take a photo. Return the jacket and swap it for leggings. In 2 weeks send her the pic of him in the jacket. If she ever mentions she's not seen it on him since "oh he's growing at the rate of knots and he's outgrown it now"

whoneedswings Tue 27-Dec-16 13:42:54

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel so much better smileI'll take a photo of him in it for her then return it for something he needs.

SunnySideDownUp Tue 27-Dec-16 13:53:39

I have no problem in swapping clothes that were gifts, in fact, I find it frustrating when clothes for my kids don't have a gift receipt as they almost always need changing for different sizes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now