Talk

Advanced search

To put my feet up and let DP do the housework (lighthearted)

(14 Posts)
RebeccatheOld Tue 27-Dec-16 12:11:59

The deal was that I would do my prep for work today, and DP would clean the house as his parents are coming tomorrow.

But I have finished my 'must do' tasks now and am (obviously) just messing about on Facebook/MN etc.

I usually do more of the housework, but our house is by no means spotless. I do feel slightly guilty as I know there is a lot of tidying to do.... but AIBU to leave him to it or should I get up and help.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 27-Dec-16 12:24:15

Why not offer to help in lieu of 'a back rub - or foot massage' etc - make it something you might both enjoy ? Then he'll still be helping - but knowing you are willing to help too even though it's his turn as they are his visitors ?!

WorraLiberty Tue 27-Dec-16 12:27:16

I would get up and help, but then DH would do that too if I were doing all the housework. Neither of us would feel comfortable watching the other beavering away.

But you know your own circumstances/relationship.

Gardencentregroupie Tue 27-Dec-16 12:28:46

Well it depends. If it was my mega slob ex I would do sod all and let their family see what a slob they are. If it was DH I would help, but then when I was very ill with a uti and my family were coming to stay he came home from work, made me a tea and left me to sit and watch him clean the place from top to bottom. Would it be reciprocated?

Ragwort Tue 27-Dec-16 12:30:48

Has he been cleaning/tidying up non stop all morning? Perhaps you are just more efficient at your tasks and got on with it and he is procrastinating?

I have been out all morning doing voluntary work, worthy - but something I really enjoy; DH is at home decorating - do I feel obliged to help him - no grin - I am sitting down with a coffee and Mumsnet !

DoubleCarrick Tue 27-Dec-16 12:33:23

Stick a timer on, see how much you both achieve and tell him if it's done when the timer goes you can both go to bed for a nap wink

That said, dh is crashed out today and I'm pottering because I'm 38 weeks pregnant and get so stiff if I sit for more than ten minutes. I'm shattered but just don't want to stop!

RebeccatheOld Tue 27-Dec-16 12:51:46

grin I half thought you'd all say to take it easy, but obviously I am being lazy! In my defence wink we have not had Christmas at home, so there is no more than the usual bits to do.

You are probably right ragwort, he will have been procrastinating. When we do joint housework I end up doing most of it as he just sits down and looks at his phone or 'sorts through papers' which involves reading months and months of magazines (work related) he hasn't read yet.

Worra yes, he wouldn't help unless I asked him to... We have been here just over a year and he has 'cleaned' the kitchen once - this involved emptying and restacking the dishwasher hmm

Gardencentregroupie Tue 27-Dec-16 12:54:17

Based on your update, that he is a lazy procrastinator who wouldn't return the favour, I vote put your feet up. Actually maybe go for a nice stroll so you don't get guilted into 'helping' and end up doing it for him.

WorraLiberty Tue 27-Dec-16 12:56:21

Well then you must know the answer OP.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 27-Dec-16 12:59:36

With my DH I would help, as he would have been doing as much as he could while I was doing my part.

If your DH would not help you and has been reading magazines while you did your part - fuck no, facebook away, only fair.

haveacupoftea Tue 27-Dec-16 13:03:04

Let him work away. I slept in yesterday while DP spent hours cooking a nice turkey dinner for us. Today he slept in while I did the housework..it's all about balance fsmile

RebeccatheOld Tue 27-Dec-16 13:22:36

smile

have a cup of tea I will cook the dinner later on, so... I don't really feel too bad, as you can tell.

He's a lovely man really, just not very proactive about the housework. There are plenty of things I am too lazy to do rubbish at so it all evens out.

KayTee87 Tue 27-Dec-16 13:29:18

Neither my husband or I would sit about while there was work to be done, we'd both do it together then sit down together.
Depends how it usually works in your house though I suppose.

DoubleCarrick Tue 27-Dec-16 13:58:11

Based on your update I'd say put your feet up and relax!! It's a totally different story if he doesn't pull his weight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now