Talk

Advanced search

To not book any extra activities at Center Parcs?

(36 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Tue 27-Dec-16 11:08:18

We are taking our dog, we love swimming and kids will be in the pool all day if I let them. I've looked at the extra activities and nothing really appeals excessively, especially not in January, outdoors.

Am I missing a trick though? I just see it as three chilled out days away and lovely forest to walk the dog in - live in a city so not too much of that here. My ex H asked "well what's the point of going there then?"

Well just to relax.

Masketti Tue 27-Dec-16 11:09:19

It's a very expensive place to go just to do that but if that's what you want to do then YANBU.

cece Tue 27-Dec-16 11:11:02

I don't normally book any activities. I have in the past and find it gets in the way of my chilling time so haven't booked anything the last two visits. Much prefer it that way! Well apart from a meal out on the Saturday night.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Tue 27-Dec-16 11:12:06

The only thing we ever book is the pub quiz!

MsGameandWatch Tue 27-Dec-16 11:12:08

Got a great deal Masketti. As going in January so prices pretty low compared to the rest of the year.

flumpybear Tue 27-Dec-16 11:12:24

Bikes are great! You can take your own
My Dd usually likes skating and I've skating plus we do the horse and carriage ride - they are expensive but you can book if you want whilst you're there -- I always have a spa session!!!
But yes you don't NEED to book extras

flumpybear Tue 27-Dec-16 11:13:11

Ice skating not I've skating lol

nannynick Tue 27-Dec-16 11:15:12

YABU as the Aquasana (spa) is lovely so book yourself in for that.

In terms of children's activities, YANBU as if they really want to do something like highropes then you can often book it whilst there with a days notice. If they want to go on the lake, then a lot of the water sports equipment is available for instant hire.

PeachBellini123 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:16:33

We went as a family when I was a child. I don't remember doing any extra activities. Was mostly swimming, dog walking. We hired badminton courts but there's so much to do I don't think anything else is needed....unless you want some child-free time of course!

Bluebolt Tue 27-Dec-16 11:18:05

Been a few years but the only stuff we booked were high ropes and zip wire unless we went pre Christmas (and booked everything) the restaurant never really needed booking at the times we eat.

Lovelongweekends Tue 27-Dec-16 11:18:19

We don't usually book much, just a mini ballet session for dd1. Spend the rest of the time swimming, cycling, in the play areas or going round on land train! Plenty to keep you busy without having to pay out moe money.

SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Dec-16 11:19:39

Sounds fine to me. I think you can book while your there too if it's pretty quiet.

SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Dec-16 11:19:52

You're

PippaFawcett Tue 27-Dec-16 11:20:18

The last time we went we didn't book any activities - we had decided to move house at the last minute after we booked the break so we were trying to keep our costs down. We swam for hours each day, rode our own bikes and used the soft play - it was great! I am always reticent anyway as booking ahead takes away all the sponteanity.

Masketti Tue 27-Dec-16 11:21:18

If it's value for money getting out of it what you want then YANBU. I paid shit loads for shit and would never go back. But I must be in the minority because loads of people go and they're still in business.

MoonriseKingdom Tue 27-Dec-16 11:25:56

YANBU

We do hire bikes and pay for one bowling session. Spend all our time in the swimming area, cycling/ walking or just relaxing.
Have a lovely holiday.

Figure17a Tue 27-Dec-16 11:31:11

We went when DC were small ( not since they started school, due to school holiday prices!) We found walking/bike riding and swimming more than enough and the extra activites are startlingly expensive. I'd consider it if there was something we really wanted to do but just for the sake of it when there's enough to do otherwise, no.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 27-Dec-16 11:34:57

We've only been once and didn't book anything, same at Bluestone but I did go to the spa at CP because I felt I ought to give it try, I certainly wouldn't bother with that again, complete waste of money.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 27-Dec-16 11:36:53

We've been loads of times and have done all the activities really. We now tend to just book stuff like table tennis and pool etc. Just the cheap stuff and we do other activities outside CP. In winter though I'd be happy to not book much.

Damson we did the quiz the year we went to Sherwood and won it! It came down to a tiebreaker which was about the height of the Eiffel tower. DH and I just looked blankly at each other while 10 year old DS2 asked "in summer or winter?" grin

IpDipCatnip Tue 27-Dec-16 11:38:17

We are going in January and also went last year in January.

When DC were younger we didn't book any activities just did what you are planning. The maximum we do now is bowling before dinner on one night and tree climbing early morning. Too much and you lose your chance of R and R.

But no YANBU you absolutely do not need to do the activities!

MistyMinge Tue 27-Dec-16 11:40:04

We never book any extra activities. DC love the pool. By the time we've been in the pool a couple of hours, been on bikes, played in the various parks they and us are pooped. I can see that they might like the activities when they're older but until they can be left to get on with it and properly appreciate them I'm not willing to part with extra cash.

rookiemere Tue 27-Dec-16 11:40:23

YANBU. The activities are expensive and if your DCs are happy to stay in the pool, then why not.

We found with DS that he liked the survival skills afternoon with his pal which bought us an afternoon in the spa and he always enjoys the caving. We also do some of the lower cost things that can be booked on the day, like the badminton and bowling. But as long as you enjoy yourselves, then do what you want.

Hulababy Tue 27-Dec-16 11:40:36

Only thing we ever booked in advance really was bikes, rather than take our own. One Christmas we did book Santa actually, and when there we once booked racketball or similar.

But generally when we went - not been for years now - we just cycled, swam, walked and DD went in the parks.

Squiff85 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:41:58

We often book the pub quiz and perhaps an activity each for the kids, or maybe something like archery.

Plenty to do though without paying extra. Enjoy! I LOVE it there

FeckinCrutches Tue 27-Dec-16 11:48:37

Our kids love doing the activities, we normally book the ones in the den for a 3 hour activity and me and DH go for a boozy lunch by ourselves :-)

We like to book a cabana in the pool as well, so when we arrive at 10am we can go straight in there and chill out, then have a late lunch, by that time its normally time to check in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now