Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not buy DH an ice cream because--Richard Hammond-- people might think he's gay

(151 Posts)
amispartacus Tue 27-Dec-16 10:10:51

Maybe it's scripted.
Maybe not.

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/27/richard-hammond-ice-cream-gay-the-grand-tour

Surprised at Hammond. Normally it would be Clarkson. Very surprised James May is on the show. He comes across as a decent guy.

Still, I suppose it will be defended as banter. hmm

Figure17a Tue 27-Dec-16 10:17:27

Richard Hammond has morphed into Clarkson over the years. They are now essentially the same person.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 27-Dec-16 10:19:27

I don't think anyone on here would defend that one as banter. I'm really surprised at Hammond I hadn't seen that in him before. What a pathetic thing to say.

cardibach Tue 27-Dec-16 10:19:28

What a tit. Can't even be bothered to swear at him.

amispartacus Tue 27-Dec-16 10:20:25

It's probably just a way of generating publicity for his show.
But....it's just another way that gay people can be bullied now at school. And getting the gay haters out on Twitter.
Was surprised at the audience reaction and disappointed that James May wants to be associated with those comments.

Madshiplollipop Tue 27-Dec-16 10:22:28

Stupid sod.

coldcanary Tue 27-Dec-16 10:23:04

I was surprised at Hammond as well he must have known it would open him up to a lot of criticism but they all seem to have been given different roles for this show.
Clarkson has obviously decided that he's now an elder statesman type, May is the bumbling idiot and Hammond is the 'laddish' one.
Can't see it lasting long to be honest, James May at least is starting to look really embarrassed.

Rainmaker1 Tue 27-Dec-16 10:23:20

Still, I suppose it will be defended as banter

It is just banter though, only an idiot would think Hammond actually believes that. The Guardian needs to take its lefty PC bullshit and fuck off.

coldcanary Tue 27-Dec-16 10:25:39

Has banter changed its meaning?
I always thought it was basically harmless joking between people that stopped before it got nasty or offensive. When did it become some twat saying whatever they wanted and calling it banter when they get called out on it?

LunaLoveg00d Tue 27-Dec-16 10:25:44

He's just catering to their core audience - knuckle-dragging, barely literate morons who lap up their racist, bigoted nonsense.

Fauchelevent Tue 27-Dec-16 10:25:47

Rainmaker... you alright love?

amispartacus Tue 27-Dec-16 10:28:32

The Guardian needs to take its lefty PC bullshit and fuck off

Don't worry. I have no doubt this will be in the DM as well. I wonder what the most popular comment will be.

He may not believe it but he said it. His core audience will lap it up.

annandale Tue 27-Dec-16 10:29:57

Twat on show that is designed for twats to say twattish things says twattish thing shock.

I quite enjoyed Richard Hammond's autobiography but this programme only exists because this lot wanted 'freedom' to do what the fuck they like in public and get paid for it. Anyone who watches it is saying it's OK to punch your employees if you're rich, IMO. We know this is what they are like. Rich, entitled people get like this - see the president-elect for another example. They are surrounded by people who think they are terrific because they are rich and famous and it twists their heads.

That1950sMum Tue 27-Dec-16 10:29:59

Richard Hammond is a prick, but the title of your thread is weird too. Why would you let the words of this stupid man affect your choices?

amispartacus Tue 27-Dec-16 10:31:28

Why would you let the words of this stupid man affect your choices

Umm. I'm single. It's just a way of wording a thread grin

EveOnline2016 Tue 27-Dec-16 10:31:49

Those 3 are known for saying offensive things.

I really not surprised

BubbleFairy Tue 27-Dec-16 10:32:27

It's publicity. It's done exactly what they've wanted and put a dire, online only, show into the papers.

MrsUnderwood Tue 27-Dec-16 10:32:31

My DH loves ice-cream. Our marriage is a sham!

That1950sMum Tue 27-Dec-16 10:33:40

Umm. I'm single. It's just a way of wording a thread

Oh, ok. Sorry! See, he's got me all riled up! grin

amispartacus Tue 27-Dec-16 10:33:55

It's done exactly what they've wanted and put a dire, online only, show into the papers

True. But it's disappointing.

I like James May. I like his shows. I am disappointed that he would want to be associated with those comments - even if it's a PR stunt.

Lweji Tue 27-Dec-16 10:36:23

I wouldn't single out Hammond. It was aired and I do think it was scripted. So, I think they are all idiots. Director and producers as well.

Fauchelevent Tue 27-Dec-16 10:36:44

Aye luna, exactly. It's not banter for anyone with basic maturity and I'll tell you for why.

I'm sure everyone knows there's no one style of gay men - hard men, camp guys and the only thing gay men have in common is they are attracted to men. That's the only thing that makes them gay. So unless the homosexual community has added a caveat of eating magnums without me being privy to this information - but, inexplicably, making richard hammond aware - then Hammond is effectively stereotyping gay men. He, as a maayyyn's maaayn, a proud heterosexual, would not be seen doing something so fey, so fluffy, so camp as...eating a magnum.

It's just bullshitty, it's not funny, it would be almost offensive to the gay community if it weren't such a pathetically stupid comment - but it's definitely a negative comment which should not have been made.

If this is banter, Britain deserves better banter.

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 27-Dec-16 10:38:21

"Banter" is just a passive aggressive way of saying whatever offensive shit you want and getting away with it.

If you're that uncomfortable with your own sexuality that you can't even eat a sodding ice cream, you've got to have words with yourself.

Lweji Tue 27-Dec-16 10:40:10

I think it was meant to be calling Clarkson gay, but just that is nasty. Because being gay is not something to insult people with.

Wolpertinger Tue 27-Dec-16 10:41:18

It all looked v scripted - the 3 of them are terrible actors. I think it makes it worse that they knew the lines in advance James May I am looking at you

DH is currently contemplating his sexuality having been looking forward to lots of icecream in the summer from the icecream maker he bought me for Christmas.

Never mind - more ice cream for me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now