Talk

Advanced search

To want to take down my christmas tree

(270 Posts)
DonaldStott Tue 27-Dec-16 09:41:47

I have been jolly. Had a lovely few festive days. But we are going away in a couple of days for New Year and only home the evening before we are back to school/work.

I want to take it down today, but husband thinks I am being a bit of a misbag.

I am in the school of bday cards up only on the day of your bday, then into the recycling, so I do like these things to be short lived, but I want my living room back now the day is over. Aibu?

MLGs Tue 27-Dec-16 09:42:31

yanbu. I'm sure lots of people feel this way.

HerBluebiro Tue 27-Dec-16 09:45:06

To be honest I'm looking at my tree thinking it could come down quite easily

pinkmagic1 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:45:34

I took mine down yesterday! Enjoy Christmas but it is now over and especially hate having the tree up in the new year.

stitchglitched Tue 27-Dec-16 09:45:55

YANBU, we usually keep ours up for New Year but with a kitten and toddler I'm so sick of trying to police them grabbing and pulling stuff of it, and it now has half the baubles missing and looks crap anyway. Really tempted to just take it down now but we have extended family coming later in the week for our xmas get together so I feel a bit mean!

dudsville Tue 27-Dec-16 09:46:08

I want to too, but I will give it another day I think.

SerialReJoiner Tue 27-Dec-16 09:46:12

Of course not. Take them down if you like!

I personally wish we could hold off on putting up the tree until Christmas Eve, and then take it down on 12th night, but we have a couple of birthdays just after Christmas so we take everything down on Boxing Day to break it up a bit. All our decs are tidied away!

kitnkaboodle Tue 27-Dec-16 09:47:22

Depends when you put it up. If late November YANBU ... but you would have BU to put it up then! If you're going away, I guess fair enough ... personally I like a Christmas tree during the Christmas holidays, not three weeks before, but think I might be a dying breed.

TheLivingAsheth Tue 27-Dec-16 09:51:37

Of course take it down if you want. But I take issue with the PP who said Christmas is over. I find myself so increasingly out of step with the world - for me Christmas goes on for 12 days which is why I get cross when it starts so bloody early - of course people get fed up of it by Boxing Day when they start thinking about it in November.

kitnkaboodle Tue 27-Dec-16 09:53:20

This type of thread is an annual MN thing, and one of those that always astonishes me. In real life I don't know anyone who takes down their decs on boxing day. Everyone I know would keep them up until New Year. Not Jan 6th because that IS a bit much, I agree. This is the Christmas period - now, between Christmas and New Year - I genuinely don't understand why people say 'well, it's all over now' on boxing day.

LemonRedwood Tue 27-Dec-16 09:54:03

I'd take the Christmas tree down today if DH would let me. It's just a bit in the way now.

YABU about birthday cards though - they can stay til the next person has a birthday wink

TheNaze73 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:55:04

YANBU, get shot

maybeshesawomble Tue 27-Dec-16 09:55:55

Just finished taking ours down. I've left a few fairy lights up in the kitchen and outside but that's it. I love Christmas but now it's time to look forward to the New Year!

Mari50 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:56:31

I'll be taking mine down tomorrow, but we're away for new year and then I'm back to work and can't face having to do it then.
I love taking the decorations down.

sooperdooper Tue 27-Dec-16 09:56:41

I've heard a few people saying this, but they all put their trees up in November so no bloody wonder they're bored of them!

In your shoes op I'd take it down, too much hassle when you get home otherwise

Ours will stay up until around New Year's Day I reckon

JeepersMcoy Tue 27-Dec-16 09:56:47

Ours is coming down today. We have a very small living room and quite frankly it is a pain in the arse having to squeeze around the damn thing.

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Dec-16 09:57:30

It's fine. We normally take ours down Boxing Day before going away for a week. It's got a reprieve this year because we're staying home, but only for a day or two. I like getting back to normal.

Cary2012 Tue 27-Dec-16 09:57:34

Took mine down yesterday! All the decs and cards too. Lovely to get back to normal. It all looked lovely during the run up and on the big day, but I can't stand it all post Boxing day.

CremeBrusselsSprouts Tue 27-Dec-16 09:57:49

This is why we only bought our tree on the 23rd Dec and then decorated it on 24th with the DC. It's still all new and lovely and will stay up for the 12 days of Christmas.

mrselizabethdarcy Tue 27-Dec-16 09:58:26

Mine was down by 9 am on boxing day. <humbug> grin

Oblomov16 Tue 27-Dec-16 10:00:00

This makes me cross too. They shouldn't be taken down yet. Not till 5th/6th?
If you need to because you are going away then fine, that's different. If you have a reason.

but generally the reason people feel like this is because it all starts too early. If it all starts 1 December, no wonder everyone is fed up of it by now.
But it's not supposed to start right at the beginning of December - it should, a few days before Christmas, then would run over into New Year. and that two weeks is perfect. It's only because we start at beginning of December that the timing is out of kilter.

Bagina Tue 27-Dec-16 10:00:36

Yeah, I need the space back. I'll keep all the other bits up. I'm doing it today. At this point I want time to hurry up to 2017; I've got so many plans as always. Taking the tree down is a step closer to the new year.

kitnkaboodle Tue 27-Dec-16 10:00:53

See .. I don't understand why people want to celebrate 'the run up' to christmas and not christmas itself ...

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Dec-16 10:00:55

This makes me cross too. They shouldn't be taken down yet. Not till 5th/6th?

Other people leaving Christmas trees up makes you cross?

maybeshesawomble Tue 27-Dec-16 10:00:55

It would be lovely if modern life worked around the twelve days of Christmas but he reality is most of us will be back to school/work before twelfth night and we're gearing up for Christmas at home once the schools broke up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now