Talk

Advanced search

Utterly fed up

(15 Posts)
libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 09:22:22

Dd 3 seems to have regressed at bedtime. It now takes about 1.5 hours for her to fall asleep. Last night it was 10pm before she went to sleep. She used to go to bed at 7-8 and just go to sleep. In the last few weeks it's been awful.
She comes out of her room numerous times, and I'm totally fed up.
Please, can anyone offer some suggestions

NicknameUsed Tue 27-Dec-16 09:24:14

I wish I could, but DD was the same at that age. She has never been an early to bed child, nor was she ever a child that needed 12 hours sleep, even as a baby.

She is 16 now and just will not go to bed at a sensible time, even on school days.

libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 10:31:56

Oh dear nicknameused
My lo definitely needs her sleep, and is grumpy otherwise. She does sleep 12 hours and more.
I'm really at my wits end...

Allthewaves Tue 27-Dec-16 11:00:54

What do you do when she comes out of the room

2ndSopranos Tue 27-Dec-16 11:37:29

Is she still napping? My dn (3) has a 3 hour nap at around 4 and goes to bed at around 11 as a result.

Is she getting enough physical activity?

libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 11:55:31

She doesn't have an afternoon nap anymore. I try and make sure her day is full and varied. She goes to nursery two full days a week.
When she gets up, I take her back to her bedroom. She asks me to lie down with her for 4 mins (lol) which I usually do. But, it varies if she falls asleep when I do.

libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 18:49:10

Really not looking forward to bedtime. Any advice please??

RumbleMum Tue 27-Dec-16 18:53:39

Have you tried the rapid return method? You can google it, but basically it involves putting them back in bed without engaging in any discussions or cuddles or stories etc. You just calmly firmly say 'it's time for bed now, night night' and keep doing it. It takes a few nights to work but for children who are essentially trying to postpone bedtime because it's boring, they eventually work out there's no 'reward' in mucking about. Doesn't work for all children and all scenarios of course! Good luck - it's just rubbish when they won't go to bed.

flamingnoravera Tue 27-Dec-16 18:58:34

In desperation with a fc I used to go to bed myself. Full on lights out, silent house. That worked for her. There was nothing to reward any getting up. It can get tedious though, having the whole family go to bed at 730.

libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 19:20:33

Thank you!! Going to try the rapid return method.

JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadu Tue 27-Dec-16 20:05:11

Yep, the rapid return method is the only way to go.
there can be no more fuck-acting around from a kid once it hits them that they will just get fired back into their bed, whether they get up 50 times or 200 times a night.

libertysilk Tue 27-Dec-16 21:07:05

Night one.
Sucess!!
Made sure she was tired, took her to the park and ran around with her etc. Come bedtime, she was tired.
She came out 2-3 times, and was put back straight away. She fell asleep at about 8.30.
RESULT!!

sj257 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:08:24

It's probably just due to all the excitement of Christmas, glad you've had a better evening tonight

wonderingagain21 Tue 27-Dec-16 22:09:22

With my extremely wilful DD 3 I had to do rapid return - first night 27 times!!! I nearly lost the will to live... But it worked, far less on night two & largely sorted within a week.

RumbleMum Wed 28-Dec-16 12:54:06

So glad you had a better night. Stick with it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now