Talk

Advanced search

.....to try & get my neighbours evicted?

(45 Posts)
Strongerthanme Mon 26-Dec-16 22:46:50

NC as sensitive issue & I'm just so gutted.
I used to have neighbours from hell (dealing drugs, anti-social behaviour etc) & the landlord didn't care. My complaints were ignored. The tenants eventually did a runner owing loads of money & trashed the place. Lovely new neighbours moved in but now left. New neighbours have moved in just like the old ones it seems!
Junk in the front garden, parties 3 nights in a row, lots of people coming & going & ultimately I've been kept awake & on edge for 3 nights last week. They are currently away.
Not sure how long for?
Single parent here who relies on sleep to get me through tough job & looking after kids!
Am sure the agency won't listen again if I complain. What can I do?
Feel so powerless yet desperate to not have to put up with this shit again!

Strongerthanme Mon 26-Dec-16 22:49:20

Getting them evicted seems extreme obviously... Just have a gut feeling it's going to be the same as before & feel so anxious.
So many emails & calls to landlord & agency before. They never did a thing.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 26-Dec-16 22:52:52

YANBU, I've got the same problem. Dealing and noise 24/7. so far in the last week we've been out on the pavement while their kitchen burned, listened to DV, and their house has been attacked by a rival dealer.

You have to live with it to appreciate how much it can wear you down. flowers

ladylambkin Mon 26-Dec-16 22:53:06

I sympathise with you, I lived for 2 years in a flat ..each time the bad neighbour moved out someone worse came in their place. Council did nothing to help. Last week u moved to a private let ... £200 a month extra rent but peace of mind we will be safe and not have to endure noise/fighting/police at all hours

Hope they calm down or you get nice new neighbours

Strongerthanme Mon 26-Dec-16 23:01:14

Thanks DJ & Lady
Both your situations sound awful!
Really gutted & can't face going thru all this again. Already thinking about moving as I know that nobody's going to be helpful (their landlord etc) & police powerless unless there's an actual 'incident' 😣

raviolidreaming Mon 26-Dec-16 23:08:41

I've had two sets of neighbours evicted for anti-social behaviour in the past - one with a lot of police involvement - and I've never felt guilty or the slightest bit unreasonable for doing so.

mumtomaxwell Mon 26-Dec-16 23:19:27

Our old neighbours were horrible but we are blessed with a good landlord owning the property. I complained several times and they were 'asked to leave.' As others have said it is so wearing living with that all the time.

Just do everything by the book and keep complaining to LL about any incidents. But ultimately if they're crap landlords you may end up having to move..,

Foslady Tue 27-Dec-16 00:31:59

If the last lot did a runner and trashed the place the landlord might be a bit more proactive with this lot....

Strongerthanme Tue 27-Dec-16 14:15:17

The agency / Landlord were rubbish Before. I think the court costs of evicting someone are really expensive so they weren't fussed about the impact on us! Fucking awful. Dreading NYE if they have another all nighter with coked up angry shouting & dodgy looking peeps standing outside our house....

TiredBefuddledRose Tue 27-Dec-16 14:18:36

Have you tried speaking to the new neighbours?
It's Christmas and and theyve recently moved it which could account for noise and mess.
It would be worth trying to talk to them and come to a comprehensive before you try to get them evicted largely because of previous neighbours.

TiredBefuddledRose Tue 27-Dec-16 14:31:59

Compromise even!!!

lanbro Tue 27-Dec-16 15:02:25

Our new neighbours were ridiculously noisy, dog barking for hours on end, sounded like they were using the hall ad a bowling alley. After a few times of going round I warned her that my next step would be the council. I installed a noise app and opened a case which was dealt with within days. Things have improved somewhat but if it gets too bad I simply record it on the app which goes straight to the council and they contact her asap. She is a council tenant though so this probably helps with the quick action but worth investigating!

LunaLoveg00d Tue 27-Dec-16 15:15:32

We moved from a house with neighbours like that. The final straw was bringing my 3 year old home from nursery to find a full police raid in process - battering ram to put the door in, sniffer dogs, the lot. A substantial quantity of Class A drugs was found. Two people in the house both blamed each other. HA refused to do anything as there was no criminal prosecution, even though the drugs were there. They didn't care - were using the houses as short-term accommodation for problem families and had we known when we bought we would never have moved there.

You have to document everything anti-social and not be scared to call the police if needs be.

RobinSnood Tue 27-Dec-16 15:24:19

As Tired said, have you actually spoken to them?

I know you have a "gut feeling" and they haven't made a great first impression but it is Christmas & lots of people will be having parties, plus lots of people have junk in their garden while they're sorting out their houses (we certainly do!). It's better than fly tipping in the street.

Of course they may be completely unreasonable twats, but you can't know that yet.

SwearyGodmother Tue 27-Dec-16 15:26:53

Speak to your local authority and find out about closure orders - they're pretty draconian but they work with antisocial behaviour. Our neighbour owns his flat but was keeping us up at all hours with his customers ringing our bell to buy drugs and a closure order was applied so nobody could go in the house for 3 months. It's quicker and simpler than eviction too.

Strongerthanme Tue 27-Dec-16 16:39:08

Thanks so much all of you!
Don't want to give too much info but I have been incredibly reasonable with them so far (arranged a very informal meeting to speak to them post-party & said I wasn't taking it further if they calmed it down) they lied to me about lots of things & proceeded to have another party that very eve so basically they can be dealt with by the landlord now.
Defo class As involved & defo twats.

Strongerthanme Tue 27-Dec-16 16:40:02

Thanks for the council tips too!
I will look into that.
After 10 months of hell before I have zero tolerance now

TiredBefuddledRose Tue 27-Dec-16 17:31:47

How do you know it's definitely class A's?

Strongerthanme Tue 27-Dec-16 18:10:53

Partying for three days solid. Lots of angry & wired young guys all shouting aggressively. Was in that world for a wee while many moons ago.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 27-Dec-16 18:22:25

"The tenants eventually did a runner owing loads of money & trashed the place."
Could that be a way to make the landlord/agency listen to you? As in 'I complained about the last shit tenants, you didn't listen and it cost you thousands; this lot are going to be the same, are you going to ignore it again and have it cost you thousands again?' They say money talks, maybe it listens as well.

Sympathies OP, it's shit having neighbours like this sad

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 27-Dec-16 18:29:49

Our NDN are awful too. Police there all the time, they sit on my doorstep to smoke weed all day every day which makes my house stink, they are always arguing and fighting in the street and their dealer is always pulling up on my drive. They then have the cheek to complain at my son watching TV in his bedroom and cheering loudly when his team score b3cause apparently it "wakes the baby" when they refuse to be considerate to us when my DH is on nights (and they know he is).

I am getting so fed up about it that I am considering phoning the housing association- theirs is the only social housing in our road. I'm slightly scared of repercussions however.

DinosaursRoar Tue 27-Dec-16 18:33:19

If your landlord was badly burned with the costs of a bad tenant, they might be more open to listening to your complaints.

I would contact the landlord/agency and say that the new tenants have done x, y and z, dates and facts - and put a line that you wanted to highlight it early given the issues with previous tenants.

Good luck

gillybeanz Tue 27-Dec-16 18:38:38

It's christmas and they have just moved in, so maybe house warming and xmas party.

Strongerthanme Tue 27-Dec-16 18:40:07

Everyone is having to deal with some horrendous neighbours!
Gretchen am slightly afraid of repercussions too.
It sucks.
Feel so on edge in my own home (well my own rented home) but been here a long time & know my other neighbours well. angry

AwaywiththePixies27 Tue 27-Dec-16 21:34:42

YNBU OP. I have to live with similar and it's awful. sad you have my sympathies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now