Talk

Advanced search

Price tags left on gifts

(68 Posts)
LittleMermaidRose Mon 26-Dec-16 21:08:11

My MIL left all the price tags on the Christmas gifts she gave me.. & left the "sale" stickers on or half tried to tear them off, making it obvious she bought my gifts on the cheap.

I really don't care what anyone spends on me for Christmas (I much prefer people's company over material gifts) but my MIL can be very passive aggressive & I feel like this was her way of telling me she didn't want to spend money on me. None of DH's gifts had the price tags still on them.

Am I reading too much into it or do other people feel he same?

mynachos Mon 26-Dec-16 21:09:56

yes. very passive aggressive. done on purpose!

Frusso Mon 26-Dec-16 21:12:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MargotMoon Mon 26-Dec-16 21:13:25

DP's mother does this, but in reverse; she leaves the tags on so everyone knows how much she has spent. He calls it 'aggressive gifting'.

ProudBadMum Mon 26-Dec-16 21:15:43

Mum does this but she's just genuinely dopey grin

DramaInPyjamas Mon 26-Dec-16 21:16:07

My mum does this, I don't think there is any malice or ulterior motive behind it (in my case anyway) she just can't be arsed with the whole process of buying/wrapping a gift properly.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 26-Dec-16 21:18:00

Hmm I was very embarrassed yesterday when the joint gift from my sister and I to our dad (posh dress watch) still had the price tag on - my sister had been in charge of wrapping and tagging and had missed the price tag. Dad was shocked that we had spent so much on him.

I try to get rid of all of the tags but did leave them on my son's clothing gifts in case I needed to return them.

LittleMermaidRose Mon 26-Dec-16 21:26:07

I find it embarrassing also! I always make sure to remove any price tags, or if there are any which I can't remove I put a little Christmas sticker over them ha!

I found it even more embarrassing opening the gifts in front of my DH to see all these bright red "sale" stickers on my gifts. I'm sure he was embarrassed too.

Oh I really sound ungrateful sad I'm sorry! I just feel it's her way of getting yet another dig in at me.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 26-Dec-16 21:29:14

I'd probably do that but I'm as dopey as fuck. fgrin

Perhaps she did it purposely because of a mistaken belief that you'd otherwise fret she'd overspent on you?

Iamcheeseman Mon 26-Dec-16 21:30:47

Are you sure they weren't just too stuck? I often find sale stickers don't come off properly and you end up with an awful mark making it obvious there was a sticker there.

In our family we have the opposite though. One member of the family will only leave the original price on and remove the sale one so you think they spent more than they did.

Nataleejah Tue 27-Dec-16 08:36:57

I heard an etiquette talk on radio recently, and leaving price tags is actually a thing.
1) it shows that you've actually bought the item (and not passed on something second-hand)
2) the approximate value of a gift you'd give in return.
So don't worry about "sale" -- you buy something on the cheap for MIL too.

NicknameUsed Tue 27-Dec-16 08:44:53

I think you are looking for offence here.

Honeydragon Tue 27-Dec-16 08:47:47

It's pretty much impossible to buy something not on sale in the run up to Christmas.

They are gifts. It really shouldn't matter.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Tue 27-Dec-16 08:48:43

MIL does this too, but there isn't a bad bone in her body so I think it's either so we can easily exchange /return things, or because she just didn't notice.

NavyandWhite Tue 27-Dec-16 08:48:57

FFS.

Is there anything that a MIL can do without getting attacked?

All these poor hard done by DILs.

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 27-Dec-16 08:55:42

YABVU gifts should be bought in a sale, it's the thought of the gift that counts, and once you've thought of the gift, then buying it as cheaply as possible is the only correct way of doing it.

By wanting non-sale items, you're wanting to have money just completely wasted on you.

With gifts generally a huge destruction of value anyway (people generally perceive the gift they get as lower in value than the cost of the giver) we should do everything we can to reduce that - then we'd all have more money for life, or more gifts.

Figure17a Tue 27-Dec-16 09:00:34

Oh dear God, I occasionally get a gift with a price tag on. Never occurred to me to think anything except someone forgot or didn't notice or realise it was there.

I'm sure I've occasionally given a gift and forgotten the price tag. Have people really been analysing my motives?

Figure17a Tue 27-Dec-16 09:03:57

It sounds like MIL got you lots of gifts, so hardly stingy. Why on earth you you or dh be anything but pleased that a family member saved a bit of cash in the process?

Bodicea Tue 27-Dec-16 09:05:23

I get loads of gifts in the sale. I see it as being able to give them more. I always start with the same budget. So it's about £20 for a niece for instance. If I spend £20 on a sale item that was higher to begin with they get a higher value present than if I spent £20 on something non sale.
I also am a bit dopey about leaving the prices on.
Not sure if that's he case with mil though has to be said.

dudsville Tue 27-Dec-16 09:06:44

It's YOUR response that matters most, but what she or anyone else does. How can you live with this in a dignified, self respectful way.

dementedpixie Tue 27-Dec-16 09:07:32

Maybe it's in case you wanted to exchange anything

DoubleCarrick Tue 27-Dec-16 09:08:07

Mum sends gifts with labels and prices on AND the receipt wrapped up with it

Thinkingblonde Tue 27-Dec-16 09:08:37

My neighbour does this, she buys things in the sales throughout the year to give as gifts. She gave me a scarf last year with a full price sticker of £15.00 on. This year DH got a box containing socks with the original price on, £12.00. I know there's no way that she actually paid full price for them, she prides herself on never paying full price for anything. She's into every casback scheme going, browses the internet, hits online sales like it's a career. I take in parcels for her all the time when she's out.

andantecantabile Tue 27-Dec-16 09:09:05

My friend always makes a thing of buying all her birthday presents for the next year in the sales after Christmas. For my (March) birthday I received a tin of gingerbreads (that were a week before their best before date), a tin with a serving of tea leaves in, and a mug that still had the reduced price sticker on (£1.50).

Lesmacarons Tue 27-Dec-16 09:11:44

I do it on purpose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now