Talk

Advanced search

To go to a NY party of friend who cancelled on me at last minute?

(20 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 20:28:08

Can't decide whether to go or not.

Pros

I want to be more sociable
I like her

Cons

People will be pissed
Nothing to wear
I probably won't get to talk to her much
She did let me down

What would you do

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Mon 26-Dec-16 20:36:42

Why did she cancel on you and when?

Sweets101 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:38:19

Sounds like on balance it's in your interest to go, leave if you don't like it. Don't waste your time trying to punish her with your absence instead

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 20:38:39

Christmas night, because she was drunk lol

bettywhitearse Mon 26-Dec-16 20:39:22

I would go because chances are you will meet new people!

daimbar Mon 26-Dec-16 20:39:47

I would if I knew other people going, probably not of it was flaky friend and strangers.

Is it a big party and are you friends with others going?

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 20:40:22

Not really so I'm a bit worri d I'd just be trotting round following her all night!

MajesticWhine Mon 26-Dec-16 20:40:50

I would go. Especially if you have nothing better to do. Not for her sake but for yours. No point cutting off your nose to spite your face.

flibflob Mon 26-Dec-16 20:42:09

I think go. If it's a big party she can't let you down as if it were one on one and as PP said leave if you don't like it. Pick up something in sales/Primark to wear.

Currently in the same dilemma!

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Mon 26-Dec-16 20:42:22

Do you actually want to go to a party?

Your pros sound like reasons you feel you should force yourself and your cons sound like excuses to justify to yourself why you shouldnt go.

The reason to go to a party is - you like the people and you think it will be fun.

If this is not how you feel, you may as well not go.

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 20:44:05

Oh no I didn't mean in a cutting off my nose to spite my face way just that I don't feel obliged to go really. Your probably right HecAte I do feel like I should force myself, there was a party a few weeks ago I'd planned to go to but just couldn't when push came to shove.

elodie2000 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:45:21

Still time to buy something to wear but do you really want to go? If you would rather stay in, do it. Can't stand NYE parties

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 20:46:37

I don't think I can face the sales!

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Mon 26-Dec-16 20:49:22

I would go, but focus on trying to talk to new people, and agree with yourself that if you aren't having fun you will leave early

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Mon 26-Dec-16 21:10:05

Do you want to go?

It really sounds like you dont.

It's ok.

You dont have to go if you dont want to.

Parties are supposed to be fun. If it's not fun tthere's no point.

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 21:10:59

I don't know ... I want to see my friend but not at the party?

haveacupoftea Mon 26-Dec-16 22:13:54

Tbh it sounds like you'll turn up and she will be busy with other people, you might get fed up and getting a taxi home will be a nightmare on NYE...i personally wouldn't go, but not because she bailed on you, just because NYE is a bit grim.

RubyWinterstorm Mon 26-Dec-16 22:15:14

NYE is grim if you can't walk home

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 26-Dec-16 22:15:55

I'd probably be driving if that makes a difference, although I could walk, it's a bit of a trek and where I live is pretty dark.

KC225 Mon 26-Dec-16 23:38:02

Text her before hand and say you don't know anyone would she introduce you to a few people. Or of there is anyone who lives tour way that you could share a cab with.

A good trick, is to grab a plate or snacks/nibbles and walk around offering them to people. It's easy to make conversation and doesn't seem desperate or try hard.

As you don't know anyone there, you don't have to buy anything new. I bet you have something at the back of the wardrobe.

Go and meet people. If you don't like, fling a cold coming on and leave. Nothing lost

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now