Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4yr olds birthday party

(13 Posts)
talulahbeige Mon 26-Dec-16 19:14:29

AIBU To have an open house for her friends?

Ok, so we're going away for my 3yr olds 4th birthday, she's in school nursery and there have been a few parties, all invited, etc etc.
Given we're taking her to Disneyland Paris for her birthday I can't afford to have a big birthday with all her school friends and other friends. (40+).

I'm thinking of hiring a bouncy castle (she loved it last year and wants one again) and just opening house for an afternoon. I'll send an invite saying it's an open house between 1-5pm, come and go as you please. I'll also put on a cake buffet and drinks.

Am I crazy?

Crunchymum Mon 26-Dec-16 19:28:58

Why would you do that on top of the trip?

You are setting a precedent with weekends away and parties. I mean it's a way ott for a 4yo in my humble opinion that is

PurpleMinionMummy Mon 26-Dec-16 19:29:28

Eem yes. You'll just end up with a house full of kids from 1-5 grin

Pineapplemilkshake Mon 26-Dec-16 19:33:13

That's a 4 hour party rather than the usual 2, rather you than me grin

ShowMePotatoSalad Mon 26-Dec-16 19:36:20

I would just have a small birthday party and invite family. 2 hours tops.

Passmethecrisps Mon 26-Dec-16 19:37:54

You seem to be creating more work for yourself rather than less.

If you can't do a party because of going to Disney (fair enough) then don't but you seem to be heading for party plus!

QuackDuckQuack Mon 26-Dec-16 20:07:18

My DD won't leave a party until the end. She's used to them being 2 hours long. Children thrive on structure. An open house sounds lovely for adults, but a recipe for chaos with small children.

19lottie82 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:19:03

4 hours is a longggggg time for a 4 year olds party! 2 hours is the norm.

bumsexatthebingo Mon 26-Dec-16 21:08:28

I get that you're meaning for people to come and go but you risk ending up with everyone staying the 4 hrs! I would just invite her close friends for a couple of hrs. Buffet and bouncy castle sounds good.

user1477282676 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:15:34

Erm...you say you can't afford a party...but what you're describing as an "open house with bouncy castle and buffet" IS a party!

You're making life harder not easier!

TheAnswerIsYes Tue 27-Dec-16 11:36:05

I would do this. I have done similar for my birthday before and told everyone it was an open house from 1pm until whenever. It worked brilliantly and it was a huge success.

whyohwhy000 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:45:54

Yes! You might as well have a normal party from 1-5 and you'll end up with the same thing. Children will always stay until the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now