Talk

Advanced search

To think I'm too stupid to use my babyliss big hair?

(25 Posts)
Clara81 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:48:28

Ok, I have wanted one for ages after seeing so many people raving about them on here.

I've read the instructions and watched YouTube tutorials. Excitedly had my first go today.

I don't think it went well. The left side of my head isn't so bad I guess, but on the right I look like a scarecrow. Don't really have much in the way of volume going on, and I really seem to struggle to get it to let go of my hair once I'd finished a section. Am I supposed to rotate the other way on the other side of my head, or do I rotate the same way all the way round?

Feeling a bit sad that I don't look like Kate Middleton.

neonrainbow Mon 26-Dec-16 16:49:21

Are you trying to do too much hair at a time?

Clara81 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:53:34

I was trying to do sections about the same width as the brush but it seemed to have a bit of a life of its own when it came to grabbing chunks of hair.

Lilicat1013 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:56:43

I thought that when I first got it, I gave up and declared it a huge waste of money. With a bit more practise though I can do a reasonably good job with it which is good for me because I'm terrible with all things to do with sorting out my hair.

I think you might just need to keep practising, I'm sure you will be fine when you get a bit more used to it.

DollyPlastic Mon 26-Dec-16 16:57:30

Keep practising, there's a knack but once you've got it, it's easy.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 26-Dec-16 16:57:33

You need to make sure the far end does not have hair round/over it, that's what causes the tangles, so use small sections on the middle of the barrel and make sure the end is pointing a bit away from your scalp.

GinAndOnIt Mon 26-Dec-16 17:02:27

Have you got rid of all the knots before starting it? That's when it grabs my hair and refuses to let go - when I get it tangled even more!

Try using a section half the width of the brush, and holding the piece up and drying towards the ceiling IYSWIM. Then it won't get caught on bits underneath. Are you being quite firm as well? I think if you try and do it gently the hairs just blow everywhere and you end up with a ball of frizz grin

Mine works best if I put a serum or something on first, but that's because I do have straw for hair. And I do my hair in three layers - starting with a bottom layer and working my way up. Keep going! You'll get there.

Clara81 Mon 26-Dec-16 17:05:03

Thanks, that's reassuring that it does get easier with practice. I will bear all these tips in mind on my next go.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 26-Dec-16 17:27:08

You need to change the rotation of the brush depending on whether you want volume at the crown, or the ends tucked under or flicked out, and yes, opposite sides of your head have opposite rotation for the same effect

I don't always let it grab the hair either, just hold it at the roots and let the hot air flow through the hair for a bit

Brighteyes27 Mon 26-Dec-16 19:16:30

Definitely keep at it. I watched a few videos and had quite a few practice runs. I am totally rubbish at styling my naturally curly hair and was especially dreadful at blowing drying it so if I can master it anyone can. Keep going, use a clip to section the hair. On mine which has some long layers in I found the look I liked best was turning it in an under direction, then turning it outwards, then back in an under direction. It also made my hair appear sleeker and shinier. I also use a little L'Oréal heat styling spray or something like that.

latedecember1963 Mon 26-Dec-16 19:45:17

It's definitely worth persevering with. Would your hairdresser be willing to give you a tutorial at your next appointment? My hairdresser was happy to do this a couple of times and it really helped. It's a bit like learning to drive. At first you are so concentrating on clutches and gear changes etc but then you suddenly realise you can change gear without thinking about it.

latedecember1963 Mon 26-Dec-16 19:46:43

It's definitely worth persevering with. Would your hairdresser be willing to give you a tutorial at your next appointment? My hairdresser was happy to do this a couple of times and it really helped. It's a bit like learning to drive. At first you are so concentrating on clutches and gear changes etc but then you suddenly realise you can change gear without thinking about it.

Wetcappuccino Mon 26-Dec-16 21:21:17

The Tresemme one is similar I think but easier to use as it doesn't spin - no tangles.

BravoPanda Mon 26-Dec-16 21:47:35

Clip all of your hair up. Let down a slim layer of hair at a time to do, say an inch or less in depth. Take half brush width sections of hair and start at the tips and rotate it up to the root, pulling it up and down gradually. Stop rotating and let it blow hair for 5/10 seconds on that section at the root. Unravel hair either by rotating or looping it off by pulling the brush out sideways. Repeat all over your head.

Turn head upside down to floof out a bit and spray when upright again smile

I love mine smile

Clara81 Mon 26-Dec-16 22:07:31

Bravopanda what do you mean when you say pulling it up and down gradually? As soon as it has hold of a bit of my hair it's not letting go of it again, and ravels it towards my head at an alarming rate 😄

CalleighDoodle Mon 26-Dec-16 22:24:07

So glad Ive seen this post! I bought myself one for xmas and i actually said today i need to watch some tutorials on YouTube!

Aworldofmyown Mon 26-Dec-16 22:27:56

Sound like you have also got it on the highest speed setting - turn it down grin

CalleighDoodle Mon 26-Dec-16 22:30:37

Howndo you turn it down? I just press

ElspethFlashman Mon 26-Dec-16 22:33:23

OK so what you're doing wrong is you're letting the hair go round too far.

Sounds like you're letting the hair spin around till the ends are touching your cheek - try not letting the hair go in further than halfway round. You manage that through keeping tension in your hand and are always slightly pulling the thing outwards (even if it's still spinning in one place).

The hair is only difficult to extricate if it's wrapped around 360 degrees. It's easy to slide out if it's only 180 degrees. Or slightly more.

Does that make sense?

Imfinehowareyou Mon 26-Dec-16 22:39:27

As another poster said, turn the speed down! There is no way I can control mine on the fast setting but I am fine on the slow one.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 26-Dec-16 22:44:55

The YouTube video I found most helpful is called Babyliss Big Hair - How To by hollyYMBB. Sorry I can't link as I don't know how to from the iPad.

Paperdolly Mon 26-Dec-16 22:53:44

Mine clicks twice on speed and there are three heat settings. I have curly hair and use quick speed with mid heat. I spray heat defence after combing serum through with a shower comb. I start with 90% dried hair. Any wetter is no good for me.

I LOVE mine and have never had so many compliments on my hair. I've used one for 3 years.

DollyPlastic Tue 27-Dec-16 07:52:45

I love mine, I always use it on the fast setting. Make sure you use heat protector spray though, as when I got mine I didn't and it wrecked my hair.

I've used it daily now for over 4 years (I'm on my third one, as they do break) and they really work.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 27-Dec-16 09:01:56

It's definitely a knack, once you've got it you've got it. I only use mine very occasionally, I can't remember the last time I did my whole head with it (I prefer my curls to actually curl most of the time) but I have never lost the knack.

monkeysox Tue 27-Dec-16 09:07:40

Make sure your hair is quite dry before using it. Works much better than straight out of shower. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now