Talk

Advanced search

The Boxing Day sales...

(58 Posts)
Twogoats Mon 26-Dec-16 12:48:08

Is this the newest Christmas tradition then? Queuing up outside Next at 5am to get 30% off last season's jumper?

Aibu to not want this? I liked it when Christmas was a week-long holiday! fsad

Sugarlightly Mon 26-Dec-16 12:49:26

I don't think it's new - remember people queueing up at next when I was a teenager (10/15 years ago)

Mol1628 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:49:53

I always remember Boxing Day sales from my childhood I don't think it's new?

I don't enjoy it though so I don't go.

DollyPlastic Mon 26-Dec-16 12:50:37

UABU to think it's new.

It's as old as I am and I'm nearly 50.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Dec-16 12:50:43

I think it's gone on for ages, but I can't be arsed. Especially with Next. Online is the way to go.

Twogoats Mon 26-Dec-16 12:53:04

Really? I thought most retailers only just started doing this in the past few years?

kali110 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:54:04

Yep. I refuse to go out today.

BewtySkoolDropowt Mon 26-Dec-16 12:54:34

Definitely not new - but you don't have to go. Have your week off, let the people that want to go to the sales go. It doesn't affect you.

girlelephant Mon 26-Dec-16 12:56:21

It's not new as I remember in high school Uni shopping unless my weekend jobs were retail! However now I'm in my 30s I live a quiet Boxing Day with good food, films & PJs!

Reality16 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:58:02

New? Lol. Boxing Day sales were a massive part of my childhood christmases throughout the 1980's.

RainbowJack Mon 26-Dec-16 12:59:58

Is this the newest Christmas tradition then?

Only if you've been living in a cave up until now.

RoseGoldHippie Mon 26-Dec-16 13:00:48

Not new- when I was a kid they used to have camping chairs etc lined up outside next from about 2 in the AM. My bf mum used to do it and we would all take the piss.

No idea why anyone would want to though!

TheNaze73 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:11:47

biscuit for anyone who has the inclination to feed the corporate machine on Boxing Day

wasonthelist Mon 26-Dec-16 13:17:02

Really? I thought most retailers only just started doing this in the past few years?

So did I OP - I don't remember it from my childhood (53) - then it was "The January Sales".

I'm not going anyway - I took a look online last year and all the offers were utter crap. We are being manipulated.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 26-Dec-16 13:17:20

Thanks TheNaze the biscuit will go nicely with the tea in my newly bought in the sale mugs
Thanks flowers

RoseGoldHippie Mon 26-Dec-16 13:19:51

OMG! I have finally realised that's a biscuit! I thought it was a nipple hahahaha

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 26-Dec-16 13:20:50

I thought is was an arsehole for the first year

SittingDrinkingTea Mon 26-Dec-16 13:22:04

I remember back in the 80s the news showing the scrum in Harrods when they opened the the doors for the Boxing Day sale so hardly new.

monkeysox Mon 26-Dec-16 13:24:13

When I was little the only shop open on boxing day was woolworths!

harderandharder2breathe Mon 26-Dec-16 13:26:55

At least 10 years! I remember going with my step mum when I was at uni and I'm 31 now

FarAwayHills Mon 26-Dec-16 13:27:31

I love Boxing Day it's the one day of the year that I have full license to do nothing. After a full on day yesterday and weeks of shopping and Christmas madness I can't think of anything worse than more shopping. Also Next clothes are no longer the quality they used to be and they have a habit of filling the sale rails full of old tat from last years sales fsad

isseywithcats Mon 26-Dec-16 13:28:02

years ago sales were few and far between in retail so boxing day was when the bargains were to be had especially in shops like harrods and john lewis type stores, but nowadays when everyone seems to permanently be having a sale of some sort , and internet shopping making sutff so much easier to buy they have become a bit obsolete and the bargains are not really that much off normal prices so i will be happily staying indoors cooking dinner for my family and saving my sales money towards a decent holiday in the summer

CuppaSarah Mon 26-Dec-16 13:30:57

They've been going on years I'm pretty sure! There's even a Mr Bean episode about it! I love that episode, so anything that inspires comedy like that is good in my books! grin

RJnomore1 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:36:13

I just decided to have a nosey at the lush website and i am in a queue. There are FIFTY FUVE THOUSAND people ahead of me

shockconfused

U2HasTheEdge Mon 26-Dec-16 13:37:57

My teens are all in the city today spending their money.

I had to go to Curry's today because my son's new laptop broke. If it was a smaller item I wouldn't have left the house today.

I'm just surprised you think this is something new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now