Talk

Advanced search

where are they going to sleep?!

(20 Posts)
morelimonpledge Mon 26-Dec-16 11:15:53

Have visitors later today, who are staying the night.

I was going to put the 3 of them (all female) in my guest room which has a double bed and a single bed. They have stayed in there before and I know are happy to share.

However it now transpires 1 of them can't make it (genuine reasons) so one of the others is bringing her DP.

So clearly they now will have the guest room alone, where am I going to put the other guest?!

I really don't want anyone sleeping on sofas in the lounge, I will have to get my DC to share for the night and give up their bed (which as they're mid teens will go down like a lead balloon).

Best bit is they're all staying so they can drink...but I can't drink due to medication I'm currently on!

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 26-Dec-16 11:18:22

Tell her she can't bring her DP, as you don't have room.

Did she ask you if she could bring her DP? Quite rude of her if she didn't.

pklme Mon 26-Dec-16 11:20:01

It sounds like a different kind of night from what you had planned. Can you drive the couple home if you are not drinking, or is it too far?

QueenMortificado Mon 26-Dec-16 11:22:04

Can't they all just sleep in the room together, let them figure out whether the couple shares the double or the girls share the double

I really wouldn't care about doing this, if a friend was kind enough to host me I'd be happy to share a room with a couple. They're hardly gonna be going at it with someone else in the room.

morelimonpledge Mon 26-Dec-16 11:24:40

They're already on their way (the couple) so I can't tell them no - and no, they didn't ask, I was just told by the other person coming!

They're over 2 hours from me so too far to drive them back, plus my car is waiting to go into the garage due to a fault so I'm trying to keep any driving to a minimum.

I think I'm stuck with them!

QueenMortificado Mon 26-Dec-16 11:25:22

Just let them sleep together then, I'm sure it won't be a big deal at all

morelimonpledge Mon 26-Dec-16 11:26:17

I know the DP would refuse to share. He's a bit fucking odd hard work. I wish she'd left him at home tbh.

QueenMortificado Mon 26-Dec-16 11:28:58

Well, it's really up to then them. You set out the space you had for them to sleep, they didn't even ask if he could come, they just brought him.

That's the space you have available. It's one night only (one night only! Do do do do do doooooo......!), if they're rude enough to just set off without even checking with you they can live with sharing a room with their friend for the night.

Or not drink and go home, of course.

user1477282676 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:34:48

Put the couple on the floor in the sitting room and the single girl in her own room.

That's the "correct" thing to do since the lone female needs more privacy than a couple...by bringing her partner, she's done herself out of a room of her own.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 26-Dec-16 11:38:40

"I know the DP would refuse to share."
Well he can sleep in his car then. Sorted.

This is a problem of their making. You don't have to do anything, just show all three to the spare room (as per the original plan) and look blank when he objects. Possibly throw in a 'well there's nowhere else, you'll have to share or find a hotel'. (And hope that's what he does.)

Very rude of his DP to just spring this on everyone, so it's up to them to find the solution, not you.

Ahickiefromkinickie Mon 26-Dec-16 11:38:47

Is there a group chat on Whatsapp at all? Just explain the situation there.

If not, ask the girl with the DP where she is expecting other friend to skeep. She can then ask friend if she minds sharing the room with her and her DP.

Make it their problem.

Have they invited themselves to stay?

NapQueen Mon 26-Dec-16 11:38:48

I'd say to them "sorry due to the last minute changes, dp, you are welcome to bunk in with the girls or I've got a spare duvet if you want the couch?" And direct it entirely at him.

If he queries why the single girl can't sleep on the couch I'd say "oh it'd be a bit unfair to rob her of a good bed because you've decided to tag along!"

If he is awkward anyways then I'd just tackle it.

Badcat666 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:41:14

Either they all share the same room or her partner sleeps on the sofa/floor.

You're not running a B&B so he can "rough it" for the night if he doesn't want to share.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 26-Dec-16 11:46:27

The couple sound like a pain. Tell them they all share as was the original plan or the couple will have to not stay over

Onemorewonthurt Mon 26-Dec-16 11:57:46

Refuse to share? It's not his house.

Why not explain the original plan to the 3 of them and let them work it out between themselves?

morelimonpledge Mon 26-Dec-16 12:33:21

I really can't stand having people sleeping on my sofa! I know it probably seems precious but it just ends up feeling like a doss house...

I have found a compromise (I think) we've got a room downstairs, used to be a playroom and is now a bit of a dumping ground (although not overly messy - it just has various odds and ends in it). I have a little single camp bed, which will fit in there easily, am thinking of basically saying that's one bed, others are upstairs, sort it out amongst yourselves. And leave it to them, as has been suggested.

morelimonpledge Mon 26-Dec-16 12:34:14

This is all reminding me why I don't have people to stay very often!

BintyMcGinty Mon 26-Dec-16 13:38:21

I can't stand people sleeping on my couch either, it's leather and the thought of somebody's sweaty body on it makes me feel ill fangry. Put your foot down and tell them they're all sleeping in the same room.

HarrietVane99 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:46:26

Put your foot down and tell them they're all sleeping in the same room.

That's not fair on the single friend, though, who isn't being given a choice about who she shares a room with. She's not the one who changed the plans at the last minute. If anyone is inconvenienced, or relegated to a single camp bed in another room, it should be the dp who is turning up uninvited.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 26-Dec-16 14:06:22

"am thinking of basically saying that's one bed, others are upstairs, sort it out amongst yourselves."
Which I think is a bit unfair on the single friend as she will feel beholden to take the ^" little single camp bed^" <shudders> and spend an uncomfortable night while tosser DP gets a comfy double.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now