Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

..To whisper that i've actually had a great year?

(53 Posts)
WanMairChoon Mon 26-Dec-16 10:22:58

I can't be the only one!

Lost three stone of baby weight and have become super fit
Bought a house
Had surgery to correct long term health condition
Started learning a new musical instrument
And finally quit the fags, by far my biggest achievement. Was certain I'd never manage. Was sure they'd kill me (that may still happen of course!). The mental relief from this is immense..

What was positive for you?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 26-Dec-16 10:25:29

Had DD. Got a new job so I didn't have to return to my previous one (unsociable hours, rubbish pay). Still got to lose my weight though-how did you do it op?

Whatsername17 Mon 26-Dec-16 10:25:36

My year had some really low lows. There have been some good bits too - as with every year. Congratulations on your achievements! I hope next year is as great as this year for you flowers

ThePinkOcelot Mon 26-Dec-16 10:25:51

Well done OP.
Can't really think of anything that was really good for me. Here's hoping in 2017!

TheCuriousOwl Mon 26-Dec-16 10:28:00

Well done smile

I have done some amazing jobs. Some of which I never dreamed I'd have the chance to do. I have lost half a stone and look so much better and I have got together with the love of my life, one of my best friends, after years of abusive and crap non-relationships and being single.

I am ending 2016 feeling like I have a lot of blessings to count. It's not all been easy of course and there's been some awful things but overall I feel pretty blessed.

I hope it's had some positivity for others too.

Crispsheets Mon 26-Dec-16 10:35:10

Bought a house ...cash.
A great feeling. Means I can semi retire and change direction.

Birdsgottafly Mon 26-Dec-16 10:35:41

Personally it's been a rubbish year, I've been seriously ill and had reduced mobility/energy levels and hand nerve issues, from the treatment.

My consultant says that I'll make a full recovery and can go back to work, so I'm looking forward to next year.

On the positive, my DD is pregnant, with her second and my eldest DDs toxic/abusive (to all of us) partner has left her for someone else (no children), she's going through the grieving stage, but is buying a new house and will soon see how much better off she is, without him.

hotwater Mon 26-Dec-16 10:50:37

I got engaged at the start of the year and married at the end of it. Had a wonderful year planning our wedding with my best friend.
I feel sad for 2016 that everyone bad mouths it so much

Rainatnight Mon 26-Dec-16 11:16:59

I was just thinking that some great things have happened to me this year but I feel a bit guilty because 2016's been such a bad year for lots of the rest of the world. I won't be doing that sort of reflective Facebook update you sometimes do at new year because it wouldn't seem appropriate somehow. confused

But here, in the relative safety of MN - it was a really demanding and challenging year professionally which pushed me to my limits of what I thought I could cope with, but with some really great achievements I'm very proud of.

And we went through the adoption approval process and learned just recently that we're going to be matched with a little girl in the new year. smile

So it feels as though the world is going to shit, but I'm happy with life at the moment.

AllTheBabies Mon 26-Dec-16 11:21:56

Mine has been pretty damn good too. Had dd2, was lucky to conceive dc3 quickly and the pregnancy is going well so far, got engaged to my wonderful dp and turned 30. Dd1 continued to be lovely and is doing really well as school.

SaintsFever Mon 26-Dec-16 11:26:33

I've bought my first home with DP and we got engaged. I completed a 5k for Cancer Research despite not being that fit and have reconnected with a friend, we fell out over 2 years ago so to have them back is great.

Clara81 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:34:38

Me too op.

Got on The Times bestsellers list, and seem to have found the man of my dreams. My eldest dd who I was really worried about is now much happier and doing well. I can't complain really.

Chaffinch1 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:37:36

Me too, great year, got my PhD, got a great job in a brilliant uni, moved to a lovely new house, lost three stone, dh and dcs very healthy and happy- brill year all in all!!

feelingdizzy Mon 26-Dec-16 11:38:48

Me too,
Got a promotion which gave me great pleasure and a massive pay rise.
Bought a lovely house,have made some new friends.My teen kids,who I have brought up myself are wonderful and kind human beings.smile

Hellmouth Mon 26-Dec-16 11:40:57

The best thing to happen this year is that my son was born , and he is the happiest most amazing baby. Apart from that, on a personal level, it has been a truly shit year for me and my partner. I can list at least 5 major disappointments this year, culminating in the death of my FIL two weeks before Christmas.

I will not begrudge anyone having a good year though. Many of my friends have had great years, including buying homes, getting married and promotions. I am genuinely happy for all of them.

DustyMaiden Mon 26-Dec-16 11:43:34

Mine has been awful lost DM and DMIl, health problems, marriage problems.

I am happy for those that have had a good year, enjoy it and don't feel guilty.

There will be good and bad years for everyone, don't borrow others misery, enjoy the good times.

ssd Mon 26-Dec-16 11:46:18

this is a really nice thread

stumblymonkey Mon 26-Dec-16 11:55:15

Mine's been a bit up and down but I did get engaged in August which was lovely and the parentals offered to help us a lot with the wedding which is also great.

Plus we got to foster a cat for Cat's Protection who turned out to be upduffed with six kitties. We saw Mother cat and four kitties adopted in to lovely homes and kept two who we adore 🐱🐱

Madbengalmum Mon 26-Dec-16 12:00:01

Yes OP, i agree, we have had a much,much better year this year than the previous few. I am sick of all of the negativity of those saying how awful its been. Maybe for some!

JaceLancs Mon 26-Dec-16 13:18:17

Lost a stone - still a way to go though
Wrote a successful lottery bid for the charity I work for which will help lots of people - created 2 new jobs and got me a pay rise along with a few years stability
My DF has just had his 91st birthday and is still more or less ok despite his bowel cancer
Grown up DC are wonderful and the best thing in my life
Spent the last year fully single and survived
Managed a few lovely holidays
Got through Xmas day without tears from anyone
I refuse to dwell on any of the negatives - although like most years there have been s few

Claireshh Mon 26-Dec-16 14:40:20

2015 was the pits for me. Personally, this year has been wonderfully peaceful. Nothing utterly amazing has happened but more importantly nothing horrendous has happened. Calm normality is massively underrated IMO.

Gymnopedies Mon 26-Dec-16 15:01:39

My little lovely DD was born, she will be 1 very soon (she is sleeping now with most angelic look on her face, recharging for more mischief).

hungryhippo90 Mon 26-Dec-16 15:19:57

This year has been awful for me, but I would like to share two positives that I've had.

I combatted my mental health issues enough that I've managed to work. Only doing dog care, but long hours. This has done my confidence wonders. I even leave the house on my own!

I passed my driving test... I must remember these as to not wallow!

kippersandcurtains Mon 26-Dec-16 15:28:07

I also had a positively memorable year personally - though not without distress at the frequent tragic events televised.
My daughter was born (3 weeks ago), my boys have been delightful and I went back to work freelance, which was hugely fulfilling. So happy to hear of other positive experiences during 2016 whilst there is so much sadness.

niceupthedance Mon 26-Dec-16 15:43:17

I have felt very fortunate and lucky this year, when I think about what has been going on in the world.
This year I graduated and got a good job in my new field, gave up smoking, moved in with my wonderful supportive boyfriend, went abroad on holiday, and had a fantastic family Christmas with our new puppy. I hope 2017 is positive too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now