Talk

Advanced search

To get irritated by electronic devices?

(12 Posts)
avengers2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:41:49

On Christmas break with family from all over so 10 on the house.

Xmas day night all decided on the Tv viewing - compromise all round so we could watch something together. The minute it starts everyone bar me and my aunt are on their respective electronic devices and 'I AM watching it' even though they have no idea a break us even happened.

Noticed it happens all the time now. People barely even speaking to each other this trip as everyone is on devices. Not an article thing as ranged from 5 to 65 and all guilty.

I like my phone but not when I'm watching something or having a conversation!

This thing that gets me is (older than me) cousins who constantly play games on phones and I have to stop the kids from constantly sitting and playing/watching them for hours when they have all their toys or a film on they wanted to watch.

I suspect I Abu and I would never say stop doing it to anyone I just think it's such a shame!

avengers2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:43:00

Sorry about typos there - having a rant and forgot to check post!

Articles = Age thing

sonlypuppyfat Mon 26-Dec-16 09:45:58

Mum is that you

Birdsgottafly Mon 26-Dec-16 09:52:30

I'm on a cooking challenge, so I've told my eldest DD (31), straight when she's told me to get off my phone, it's only seconds, every two hours.

I don't do it during dinner, or conversation/games/crackers, but I will whilst watching something, but I'm not into television and would rather read on my phone.

I'm getting a kindle with my vouchers from everyone.

avengers2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:02:04

Puppyfat- smilesmilesmile no def not your mum!!!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 26-Dec-16 12:08:46

Presumably the "compromise" with regards to what was on TV meant that 8 out of 10 ended up watching something that wasn't their first choice/had no interest in.

In that situation, there's little chance I'd have kept my eyes trained on the TV for the duration either.

I'd probably have started reading a book or fiddling around on my phone.

Reality16 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:19:09

I kind of laugh at the irony here. Electronic devices are terrible, but you want everyone to watch TV hmm

Scooby20 Mon 26-Dec-16 12:25:58

I am with reality. Everyone must put down their electronic device so you can watch the electronic device you deem acceptable?

Cookingongas Mon 26-Dec-16 12:36:30

I'm on the fence here. I agree to an extent because I HATE how people are constantly on their phones now. I'm in my twenties and quickly losing any interest in my peers because they almost all are constantly checking or playing with phones. It's tedious, rude and seemingly inescapable.

However, when I'm at home, if I had a choice between tv and phone- I'd go with phone. It's more engaging to me- I'd be likely to fall asleep if made to watch a film on Christmas evening. I'd put down the phone to converse, eat, play games etc. But to watch tv? Not so much.

avengers2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:07:52

I know it's ironic. But it's more about the decision by ALL to do one thing (watch tv) but then not actually do it. If everyone wanted to sit and play on phones, why not just say and we'll leave the tv off!! That's what annoys me - not the lack of attention on the tv per se.

avengers2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:10:02

It also happened on Xmas eve - everyone wanted to go out for a drink, so we went and 7/10 people sat fiddling on phones - we could of just stayed at home if no one was going to speak to each other! Maybe I'm getting old and irritated over these new tangled social conventions!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 26-Dec-16 13:10:28

I would think there would be more interaction between family members flicking around on their phones than what you'd get with everyone glued to the TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now