Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be glad it's all over?

(23 Posts)
GoldenOrb Sun 25-Dec-16 22:48:22

Got to be one of the worst Christmases I've ever had.

First Christmas post separation, kids wake up at their dad's house. Had to endure church with my soon to be ex in laws and stbxh. Kids so overwhelmed by presents that they just start an opening frenzy barely looking at what they have opened before opening the next one. When we finally sit down to Christmas dinner, dc1 kicks off that dinner is cold and has a huge meltdown, hitting and kicking and biting my arm so it draws blood. Dc2 cries because of dc1. Nobody eats Christmas dinner that has taken half the day to prepare. I fall off the sugar wagon in spectacular style, wash it down with champagne and will have hangover from hell tomorrow.

Merry bloody Christmas.

Dc1 labelled it the worst Christmas ever and I'm inclined to agree.

GladAllOver Sun 25-Dec-16 22:52:08

But it's not all over!
There are twelve days of Christmas, remember?
Christmas Day is the first. There are eleven more days to go! fgrin

ijustwannadance Sun 25-Dec-16 22:52:45

flowerswine

Just look ahead to a better year.

NotStoppedAllDay Sun 25-Dec-16 22:53:39

12 days of Christmas? Nobody bothers with that anymore!!

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Sun 25-Dec-16 22:54:01

Glad......
Thet was cruel..

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 25-Dec-16 22:58:59

Wishing you a brighter 2017. That does sound like a mare!

PurpleDaisies Sun 25-Dec-16 23:01:32

Wow, that sounds totally shit. I hope things get better for you.

Did you read the op glad? hmm

GoldenOrb Sun 25-Dec-16 23:01:36

Glad, well T least the presents and Christmas dinner are done!

tryandtryagain Sun 25-Dec-16 23:02:39

I'm really sorry that your day was so horrible. Sending you a virtual hug.

Some people on here are so unkind.

GladAllOver Sun 25-Dec-16 23:24:11

12 days of Christmas? Nobody bothers with that anymore!!

I'm sorry that the OP has have a miserable time today. But all the fuss, shopping and excitement has been going on for at least a month already. No wonder children get worked-up, over-excited and ill-tempered. But that wasn't Christmas.
Christmas started today and is more than one day!

Notcontent Sun 25-Dec-16 23:30:14

That sounds tough.

I think a lot of people have difficult Christmases and are just glad when it's all over.

All that preparation - buying presents, food, etc. Then on the day emotions run high, everything is a disappointment...

PurpleDaisies Sun 25-Dec-16 23:31:35

Christmas started today and is more than one day!

In your opinion.

And again, have you rascals the op? She's clearly talking about what happened today-Christmas day.

PurpleDaisies Sun 25-Dec-16 23:31:55

^read not rascals

NotStoppedAllDay Mon 26-Dec-16 01:12:30

Nah

Christmas is done now

Only those in their 80's go in for the 12 days of Christmas shite! The kids go back to school before12 days are up! Xmas is long forgotten by then, thank god

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Mon 26-Dec-16 01:19:26

GoldenOrb it sounds like you built the day up in your imagination to be something quite unachievable with small children.

It's sad that you had a shitty day but honestly, Christmas is tough when they're little. It gets better.

It's made even harder that you're doing all the work without dad. <3 it sounds like you did a great job.

babychamcherryb Mon 26-Dec-16 01:32:56

Dc1 said it was the worse Christmas ever after they bit you and drew blood because Christmas dinner was cold? Yes it sounds horrible mainly because of your dc1. They sound horrible.

LagunaBubbles Mon 26-Dec-16 01:40:15

You use the word "meltdown", does your DC have special needs? Biting you sounds awful.

SecretWitch Mon 26-Dec-16 01:45:31

I'm sorry, it sounds like you have been through the shit flowers It is done now and hopefully you will have a chance to relax and recoup.

LouisvilleLlama Mon 26-Dec-16 02:04:35

Personally we do Christmas until New Year's Day but it lessens like normally no TV Christmas/ Boxing Day and things slip back into normality around the 28-29th.

But like OP even though this is normally a happy time I'm glad the days actually over

myusernamewastaken Mon 26-Dec-16 08:26:02

Im glad its over too...im on my own with 3 teenagers and spent all day in the kitchen yesterday....the house looks like a bomb has gone off...im exhausted and cant wait to get back to my normal routine.

GladAllOver Mon 26-Dec-16 09:40:59

It's a recipe for disaster to do the whole thing in one day, a huge gathering and so many presents piled up for the children they can't appreciate them.
We organise it around different family homes over a few days. It's far less stressful for each host. Presents are exchanged each day so that children (and adults) can enjoy them.
Not quite the 'partridge in a pear tree' but it works very well for us.

GoldenOrb Mon 26-Dec-16 10:28:33

Laguna - Yes, I suspect dc1 is on the asd spectrum. The meltdown yesterday was confirmation that I need to get some help for him.

PumpkinPie2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 11:28:33

Sorry you didn't have a good day OP sad

I think Christmas can be difficult for a kit of people and sometimes it's easy to forget that if you are in the fortunate position of enjoying it.

I am lucky to have had a nice day yesterday but to be honest, I'm looking forward to getting back to the normal routine!

DH is off out for a long walk with a friend this afternoon so it's just me and 3 year old DS.

We hosted yesterday so house is a top plus need to find homas for DS new toys.

Planning to put my house back together and take DS to the park later for some fresh air.

I hope things improve for you OP flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now